News   Jul 15, 2024
 726     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 883     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 626     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Ok. Name five things John Tory has accomplished as mayor of Toronto in the last four years...

He was a great ambassador for the City and face of council
He supported the local majority on their issues from all corners of the City and was strong even in the face of outside opposition ie) King st. pilot and SSE
He fought upper levels for funding the most supported projects and previously downloaded housing issues facing the City. Far more aggressive then recent mayors
He kept property taxes low (better or worse this is his MO for his base)
He didn't smoke crack

From what a Mayor can actually achieve with their limited single vote powers in this City I think he did a fine job restoring stability lost in the end of the Miller and the entire Ford years.

Last edited:
He was a great ambassador for the City and face of council
Not an accomplishment
He supported the local majority on their issues from all corners of the City and was strong even in the face of outside opposition ie) King st. pilot and SSE
Until and unless King St Pilot is permanent, not an accomplishment. SSE was Ford/Stintz accomplishment.
He fought upper levels for funding the most supported projects and previously downloaded housing issues facing the City. Far more aggressive then recent mayors
What funding did he actually get? Not really an accomplishment
He kept property taxes low (better or worse this is his MO for his base)
This is his only real accomplishment (until Land Transfer payments drop this year and he needs to cover somehow)
He didn't smoke crack
Not an accomplishment

Not an accomplishment

Until and unless King St Pilot is permanent, not an accomplishment. SSE was Ford/Stintz accomplishment.

What funding did he actually get? Not really an accomplishment

This is his only real accomplishment (until Land Transfer payments drop this year and he needs to cover somehow)
Not an accomplishment

What were you expecting from a one vote Mayor in a divided amalgamated City? Promoting and supporting unity is a major accomplishment in dealing with the uncompromising polarizing political groups in this City. This achievement was the most important one he could do with his Mayoral powers and will be reflected heavily in the upcoming election results.

What were you expecting from a one vote Mayor in a divided amalgamated City? Promoting and supporting unity is a major accomplishment in dealing with the uncompromising polarizing political groups in this City. This achievement was the most important one he could do with his Mayoral powers and will be reflected heavily in the upcoming election results.

Both Miller and Ford had more accomplishments under the same weak mayor system. Ford got his done in the first year! In the latter case certainly not accomplishments I was in favor of, but accomplishments nonetheless.

Both Miller and Ford had more accomplishments under the same weak mayor system. Ford got his done in the first year! In the latter case certainly not accomplishments I was in favor of, but accomplishments nonetheless.

That was an ugly cycle of accomplishments. Ford did what he could within powers to achieve some of his polarizing mandate and was stonewalled on many others. Miller had a bit more supportive council to push his opposite end of the spectrum agenda upon the City. The fallout of these accomplishments were not good.

Torys mandate was to bring respectability and steer the ship towards a path that doesn't require a polarizing flip flop every 8 years and hopefully allow the City to move forward. That is quite the accomplishment as the Millers and Fords have solid opposing bases in an amalgamated City. Neither group is happy with Tory for not getting their way completely and I see that as a small sign we make actually see some sustainable progress in the future.

The Left in the City should be somewhat happy with Tory as the voting climate is swayed far closer to voting in Fordnation in these post Miller years.

Last edited:
So, Tory’s accomplishment is his bland lack of accomplishments?

I concede that he was the right candidate in 2014. The mandate to do nothing is expired now.

He may even have a bit more power to do so. And if hes granted I think that will set up 2022 the be most crazy, and important elections weve seen in this City

That was an ugly cycle of accomplishments. Ford did what he could within powers to achieve some of his polarizing mandate and was stonewalled on many others. Miller had a bit more supportive council to push his opposite end of the spectrum agenda upon the City. The fallout of these accomplishments were not good.

Torys mandate was to bring respectability and steer the ship towards a path that doesn't require a polarizing flip flop every 8 years and hopefully allow the City to move forward. That is quite the accomplishment as the Millers and Fords have solid opposing bases in an amalgamated City. Neither group is happy with Tory for not getting their way completely and I see that as a small sign we make actually see some sustainable progress in the future.

The Left in the City should be somewhat happy with Tory as the voting climate is swayed far closer to voting in Fordnation in these post Miller years.

Bringing respectability is low hanging fruit, all you had to do was not be a crack addict.

Bringing respectability is low hanging fruit, all you had to do was not be a crack addict.

Very true, but that's not a knock on Tory. Not much more one can do to be a great ambassador, respect all differing walks of live in the City and build unity. His approval rating speaks for itself.

Very true, but that's not a knock on Tory. Not much more one can do to be a great ambassador, respect all differing walks of live in the City and build unity. His approval rating speaks for itself.

I don't think he's built unity at all among council. Again, compared to Ford, sure, anything during the Ford years was a circus. I'm just thinking back to how cold winter was and he wouldn't open the armouries for homeless people. He has a cruel streak under all that polish.

I don't think he's built unity at all among council. Again, compared to Ford, sure, anything during the Ford years was a circus. I'm just thinking back to how cold winter was and he wouldn't open the armouries for homeless people. He has a cruel streak under all that polish.

I completely respect the fact he doesn't deliver on the items most important to you, and even I don't agree with many decisions he personally made. But his extremely high City wide support speaks for itself as to the unity he built and that's very important to me.

Id say Torys actually so well liked right now from hi efforts that the Lefts new star candidate has to run an extreme start to the campaign with talks of secession just to attempt to make a name for herself. Surely that doesn't exude unity in a polarized City? Almost all others were scared to even bother to challenge him do to his support. Many hardened Ford and Keesmaat faithful will never appreciate Torys effort and the BS hes put up with from both sides in attempts to bridge the City.

Last edited:

Well, they weren't exactly his to open, but ok.

As for expecting him to build unity....sorry, expecting anyone to build unity among council is like asking me to complete a triathlon after my usual day's dosage of smokes.

Back