Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

Wasn't DAMB the one who first told us about MaRS being on hold? If DAMB is now saying the project will go ahead in Aug/Sept, it may very well be true, in which case I'm very excited! :D

It seems that since MARS PHASE1 is fully leased there is pressure on groups to find space in nearby properties.

MaRS may not be so fully leased anymore: a number of companies have moved out in the past few months, and empty real estate is apparent throughout the facility. That said, public money is being spent fast and furiously, and no doubt the forward minded MaRS people are making a good case for MaRS II.

I believe College Park's comment is logical. I'd be surprised if sudden demand has come forward for space in this building, when it wasn't evident just a few months ago. But this is a great example of a "shovel ready" infrastructure project, of the kind which is attracting government investment these days. And as I wrote elsewhere, if it gets built, and demand for the space is still weak at that time, maybe the Ont. government itself might take some of the space.

I believe College Park's comment is logical. I'd be surprised if sudden demand has come forward for space in this building, when it wasn't evident just a few months ago. But this is a great example of a "shovel ready" infrastructure project, of the kind which is attracting government investment these days. And as I wrote elsewhere, if it gets built, and demand for the space is still weak at that time, maybe the Ont. government itself might take some of the space.

How is this an infrastructure project and why should the government be spending money on a private facility/venture?

edit: meant private instead of public

Last edited:
How is this an infrastructure project and why should the government be spending money on a public facility/venture?

Do you mean private/public venture? Govt usually spends on public ventures. Either way, public money spent during a downturn is important to spur economic recovery and create jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if money is poured in to projects like this to stimulate growth in the economy.

How is this an infrastructure project and why should the government be spending money on a private facility/venture?

edit: meant private instead of public
First of all, MaRS is not a "private venture", it's a public-private partnership between the government and a non-profit organization. This is a common arrangement for things that the gov't deems economically and societally beneficial but which the gov't by itself should/can not develop alone (this is especially true for research translation, the mission of MaRS, which requires the participation of private for-profit industry and NPOs). To ask why the gov't should fund this facility is like asking why governments should give money to things like WHO, International AIDS Vaccine Initiative or Medicines for Malaria Venture, or why the NIH should give funding to researchers in private universities (granted, a lot of people are opposed to science funding so these criticisms are not surprising).

As for the "infrastructure question", a research centre in a burgeoning biotech / biomed research hub like Toronto is most definitely infrastructure.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861621239/infrastructure.html
Infrastructure:
public services or systems: the large-scale public systems, services, and facilities of a country or region that are necessary for economic activity,
exactly, for an increasingly knowledge-based economy

including
hence, the list is not exclusive

power and water supplies, public transportation, telecommunications, roads, and schools
in this case, postsecondary and postgraduate academic facilities

In any case, this is still a rather restrictive definition. I like this one better:
Merriam Webster Dictionary said:
the system of public works of a country, state, or region ; also : the resources (as personnel, buildings, or equipment) required for an activity
or this one:
American Heritage Dictionary said:
The term infrastructure has been used since 1927 to refer collectively to the roads, bridges, rail lines, and similar public works that are required for an industrial economy, or a portion of it, to function.

MaRS admin is apparently informing the public that a waiting list exists for small-business incubator space. Empty real estate on the second and third floors is completely apparent to anyone standing on the atrium bridges, and parts of it have been empty for nearly a year. In fact, I'd estimate that about 1/3 of the small labs/offices are unoccupied. There is something afoot here: is MaRS keeping publicly funded space empty on purpose? Inquiring minds wish to know...

Why would they be keeping space empty on purpose? Its all about revenue...so such a conclusion makes no sense.

And what does "apparently informing the public" mean?

No offence, but your post does not seem all that informed.

Oct 18

Took a walk by the site for the first time in months and had a look. Poor things sitting all alone.
IMG_oct-18-09-0099.jpg

IMG_oct-18-09-0100.jpg

IMG_oct-18-09-0101.jpg

There will be a demand for it again. Although I wanted to see this go through, I was upset at how the design ruined the circle effect started with the Ontario Power Generation building. I was hoping for MARS 2 to be a round cornered building.

Maybe when this gets going again, that will be rethought.

Back