Toronto MaRS Centre Phase 2 | 112.77m | 20s | Alexandria | B+H

I just drove by this one last night....and was wondering if there will be any updates on re-start of the construction soon.

so no one knows when will this be starting again.. i hope by this summer .. am guessing .. as soon as they finish and correcting the original blue prints and make the proper changes...

so no one knows when will this be starting again.. i hope by this summer .. am guessing .. as soon as they finish and correcting the original blue prints and make the proper changes...

i know it's a daunting task, but this thread already has a tone of information on this building, so try and go back a few pages.
no one knows when this thing is going to get going again. i don't think the blue prints needed corrections. this building is on hold because of the economic conditions. the tenants in phase 3 are primarily small, start-up companies dedicated to medicine and science in general. these companies depend on loaned money to rent the space. the money currently is not available.

I was told by a contractor this weekend that this project was to restart in the next couple of months. He is a fairly reliable source, so let's hope.

so as a guess i was right i mean one had to see this one coming.. right in the heart of TO and couldn't be abandoned just like that for to long..its a great sign and hope will stick to the original building.. sky rise ..

so as a guess i was right i mean one had to see this one coming.. right in the heart of TO and couldn't be abandoned just like that for to long...

Well it's happened before. Don't forget the legendary Bay-Adelaide stump!

Anyways I really hope this is true. This was one of the announced buildings that I was looking forward to the most.

I would doubt that any mixed use makes sense here... its designed to be a medical research building so I'd think that would be a rather specialized design. And who wants to live or stay in a building with lots of viruses and bacteria floating around in it anyways? Its more just a matter of timing for this one to get rolling again...

what's a few viruses in comparison to the convenience of staying within spit ball range of the nearly 4 million square feet of hospitals

Could be helpful for people who've travelled relatively far to get to downtown for family and friends of those in the hospitals. Presumably the space being built is needed as is though, considering that construction is recommencing.

Because of the requirement for special ventilation. utilities and floor strength, separate access, etc., it will almost be prohibitively expensive to have residential mixed into a research building (two basically separate buildings, eg a short "podium" with lab space and a residential tower attached at one corner, could work in theory). It's not completely impossible, however; a mixed-use residential/clinical/research complex had been proposed and approved in Boston since 2003, but the original plan has since been altered after laying dormant for 4 years and the residential component was removed (the project has since stalled during the 2008 recession, like this MaRS building, but since only demolitions were completed and nothing has yet been built, it might still be possible for plans to be changed again and the residential component added back when the economy recovers, but it's doubtful).

so as a guess i was right i mean one had to see this one coming.. right in the heart of TO and couldn't be abandoned just like that for to long..its a great sign and hope will stick to the original building.. sky rise ..

Also, what on God's green earth are you talking about?

Back