Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

Sometimes the city (and this architect) really don't have a clewe.

Clewes is definatley way over-rated in my books... your rendering is much better... it has some character... rather than a cereal box with wavy balconies

from today's Star..

Cooking with gas

Peter Clewes' spicy and innovative design will connect Jarvis St. to waterfront
September 13, 2008

Donna Jean MacKinnon

STAFF REPORTER

Shopping for a condo? Why not take a spin around the St. Lawrence Market? There you will find Howard Cohen cooking up his newest project, the "playful and elegant" Market Wharf.

It certainly brings a little spice to Jarvis St.

Cohen points to the hallmarks of architect Peter Clewes' design, including the haphazard windows in the podium, the peanut-shaped tower, undulating balconies and "muscular" brick podium that mimes the construction of the St. Lawrence Market.

"The building is playful, yet there's design integrity and elegance in proportion," says Cohen, who knows a few things about design. He was the first president of the Design Exchange when it opened on Bay St. in 1992.

Cohen says Market Wharf is the missing link between St. James Cathedral and the waterfront.

"We are joining the city to the lake at the foot of Jarvis St.," he says.

The 425-unit residence, south of the St. Lawrence Market, will be built on top of an 18,000-square-foot Shoppers Drug Mart.

"That's how to handle big box stores – integrate them or hide them inside other buildings," says Cohen, partner in Context Development Inc., a firm with 11 Toronto condominiums under its belt.

Market Wharf is made up of three components, according to Cohen, who prides himself on innovative design:

An eight-storey podium containing 90 "flats" surrounding parking. Buyers can get in for under $190,000, according to Cohen, although that amount will buy less than 500 square feet.

A glass-clad level above the podium of 35 "market" units. Two-bedrooms start at $484,900. Cohen feels these units, with large terraces, will appeal to young families.

A 25-storey tower with 278 units rising above the south end of the structure, which targets downsizers, single professionals, and DINK (Double Income, No Kids) couples. The tower also has 22 penthouses, starting at $872,900.

More than 50 per cent of the units were sold across all components one week after the June launch, according to Cohen.

"A high proportion of people who bought appreciate design. Others are dedicated followers who have lived in our other buildings and came to us," he says.

Cohen believes public taste has changed over the last decade, making Torontonians much more demanding and appreciative of good modern architecture.

"They don't want their buildings to be a pastiche that looks like pre-war villas with shutters and curlicues," he says.

From the start, Clewes, a partner in architectsAlliance, has been pivotal in the design of Context's buildings.

In 1992, when Cohen was planning his first project, 20 Niagara, he was introduced to Clewes and it was "instant chemistry."

The two bonded over their vision of what a contemporary building should look like.

Besides having his finger in all of Cohen's pies, Clewes has designed several buildings for other developers, including Ice, a condo across from the Air Canada Centre, and the new Four Seasons hotel and condo complex in Yorkville.

Every developer in town wants Clewes, according to Cohen.

"I can hardly get to speak to him, he's in such demand," he says. "An unknown like Clewes has become a star. His flowering is emblematic of the last decade. I like to think we were pioneers."

Meanwhile, Cohen's company has grown from a three-person operation to a staff of 80.

Cohen says that from the word "go," Context's intention was to make a strong urban statement by extending the fabric of the St. Lawrence Market south.

"Market Wharf completes a whole linear series joining the city to Sugar Beach," he says.

In reality, it's a hike under the Gardiner Expressway to Lake Ontario where the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. plans include the manufacture of an urban beach on Queens Quay east of Jarvis St. It has been dubbed Sugar Beach because it will be located next to the Redpath sugar refinery.

For the consumer, the Market Wharf design experience starts with a tantalizingly produced information package with upbeat, sophisticated graphics by Different by Design, intended to appeal to urbane sensibilities. The podium of Market Wharf is shown as a wedge of very yellow cheese and the tower a baguette, in front of a stylized illustration of the downtown skyline. As a promotion, Context has given away 10,000 eco-shopping bags, some featuring the cheese picture, at the St. Lawrence Market.

Amenities for Market Wharf residents include a 10,000-square-foot pavilion with a fitness centre (base of tower), events and media rooms. The building also has an in-house car share service and theatres, shops, cafés and bike trails are just a stone's throw away.

Units have nine-foot ceilings, gas lines for balcony barbecues and, on offer, four standard kitchen packages that include a slender profile Blomberg refrigerator from Germany.

There will be no fat, short refrigerators at Market Wharf, according to Craig Taylor, director of marketing and interior design manager. Taylor convinced Cohen, who is in the basic beige, black and neutral camp when it comes to interiors, to offer a funky zebra wood kitchen option. In the model kitchen, the dark striped wood appears to marry well with dark quartz counters and stainless appliances.

At 31, Taylor self-identifies as the demographic most likely to buy a downtown condo.

"I live at Spire (another Context condo), walk to work and buy fresh every day from the market," says Taylor, who describes Context as a "modernist" company.

While the impact of the envelope and the amenities of Market Wharf are important elements of a condominium, Cohen also thinks every new building should be green.

There are several ecologically responsible features at Market Wharf, including Energy Star appliances, high efficiency lighting, landscaped rooftop and terrace areas, natural light in the above-ground parking garage and three-stream disposal chute for garbage, organics and recyclables.

"People really get this site," Cohen says. "I think it's iconic. It raises the design bar in Toronto."

The new condo will stand on antique landfill. In the 1830s, when the south market was built, Toronto Harbour came almost up to the building. At that time a wharf stood on the condo site. Eventually, with the help of more landfill, the shoreline moved south. The development of Market Wharf will cost about $200 million. Construction starts next spring for occupancy in the spring of 2011.

this gave me a good chuckle:

"...DINK (Double Income, No Kids) couples..."

October 9, 2008

Well, the sales centre and advertising is in place!

mktw.jpg

yea, i'm not sure why any design/architectural savant or insider of this city would be so excited with this project. i don't find it that exciting and agree that the tower should be taller (i like that photoshop'd model). the balconies are quirky but don't really distinguish the tower from any other rectangular condo. the brown brick just seems like a flat brick box to me.

if they wanted to do the neighbourhood design honour, why not create some corinthian columns instead? or some sculptural casting around the windows? the "playful," scattered windows seem inconsequential to the overall effect, somewhat like the black "cow" boxes that line the OCAD table (don't get me wrong i like OCAD, but the cow design is a bit insignificant). how about some black brick instead?

anybody know what is being donated to the public realm? is it the extension of the David Crombie park?

I visited the sales centre a couple weeks ago and noticed no difference in sales since the opening 2 weeks. Any news on incentives, price drops, specials, or deals for this development? Last I saw was this one on Dec. 12: https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campa...69074323/rid:191d2bf34ad64c0a92361693e5f45fdf

price freeze doesn't suprise me here ... I guess Market Wharf is following suits of other projects in TO

yea, i'm not sure why any design/architectural savant or insider of this city would be so excited with this project. i don't find it that exciting and agree that the tower should be taller (i like that photoshop'd model). the balconies are quirky but don't really distinguish the tower from any other rectangular condo. the brown brick just seems like a flat brick box to me.

if they wanted to do the neighbourhood design honour, why not create some corinthian columns instead? or some sculptural casting around the windows? the "playful," scattered windows seem inconsequential to the overall effect, somewhat like the black "cow" boxes that line the OCAD table (don't get me wrong i like OCAD, but the cow design is a bit insignificant). how about some black brick instead?

anybody know what is being donated to the public realm? is it the extension of the David Crombie park?

I think the property between Wilton St and Esplanade (currently Green P lot) is intended to become an extension of the David Crombie Park in the future, but that is not the doings of Context since that property is already owned by the City of Toronto ...

With respect to your design comments, while I agree with you the brick box shaped base is not the most intriging, I see this bulky podium as providing architectural connection to the St. Lawrence Market and surrounding neighbourhood ... with respect to the tower, I agree that it would have looked much more amazing had it been slimmer + taller, but acknowledging this site being in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, I'm suprised it even made it to the currently 32 storeys height, so lets just be happy with it .... and the wavey balconies, no questions about that ~ I love it ! :D

I think the property between Wilton St and Esplanade (currently Green P lot) is intended to become an extension of the David Crombie Park in the future, but that is not the doings of Context since that property is already owned by the City of Toronto ...

Actually the extension of David Crombie Park onto the parking lot at The Esplanade/Lower Jarvis/ Market and Wilton is being paid for by Section 37 money from London on The Esplanade. Though the City does own the land, creating a park costs $$. Before we all get too excited though it is worth remembering that this lot is first going to serve as a temporary North Market while the present one is redeveloped so I would not expect to see any park for 5 years.

Market Wharf will contribute $$ to improve Lower Jarvis and othjer stuff. Some additional details are on the SLNA website www.slna.ca

I've been kind of annoyed with this one from the start.
I don't blame the architect. My understanding is that this one would have been much taller before the local Nimbys started wailing.
I think the wavey balcony tower would have probably worked better on the taller tower than the present design. The extra tall tower against the expressway and railway would have fitted very comfortably in this location.
Design wise, this project is all over the board with me.
I absolutely love the inner courtyard and all the 2story towns surrounding it. It finally represents a timid push forward to addressing more of a "family" type home in downtown condos. I wonder if sales of these units worked out that way.
The tower? Everybody oohs and ahhs over lots of balcony space and just about nobody uses them. Its that old suburbia paradox only in minature. Everybody wants as big a backyard as they can get in that new home. Summer after summer goes by,and nothing ever happens. Almost no trees or shrubs are planted. Oh sure, the first couple summers there is a brief flury of activity as wooden decks and 6 foot wooden privacy fences get thrown up...and then.. nothing. Everybody retreats to the air-conditioning. Total desolation and silence disturbed by the odd dog barking wanting back into the house.
Lets all hope the balcony glass on this tower will be tinted, so that everbody's extra large outdoor storage areas are not displayed to the world too much.
As for the overall design of this place, it's no award winner for me, but it is reasonably attractive and interesting and one hell of lot nicer than its present neighbours. It can only improve on the neighbourhood.
I could live here, but then I'm a huge fan of the market, local theatre,and pubs .

Back