Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

Thanks granny, hopefully the L gets up and running soon. its a good suggestion to combine units. the developer should definitely consider offering that option if buyers are looking for larger units that are all gone.

Yes, definitely a good buy in the L Tower. Congrats!

(Casa also ended up combining many units that were designed for the Keebler elves and they were all snapped up.)

And I have to say 3D's version of the tower is something I'd much rather see in this spot as well.

Blame the city before you blame the architect and the developer. This was originally going to be a 47 storey point tower right against the rail corridor. As usual the city and the neighbouring co-ops only cared about height and design was secondary. I was at several community meetings and people actually got up and said that this development would ruin the neighbourhood and that it was so much nicer before ( not sure if they preferred the gross machinery factory or the giant surface parking lot more)

Redesign is a given in most creative fields, architecture included. It offers the opportunity to rethink and make improvements. I think most architects factor in the behaviour of city bureaucrats and NIMBYs as part of the dance that must take place in order to produce the final design.

thanks casaguy. i think you've made a good buy as well. i live sort of close to casa now and it is a great area.

regarding market wharf/context, i just talked to a friend who lives in radiocity and he said he was very unhappy with context as a developer because apparently his condo took way longer than expected and he lived there for a over a year before they put in the gym. I always thought context was supposed to be one of the better developers. I still hope this project goes well. I really like it.

The JD Powers Customer Satisfaction survey of the Toronto high-rise market ranked Context a bit below average in their 2006 survey. Context did not have enough closings in 2007 to rank... 2007 rankings below:

Tridel 767
Daniels 712
Monarch 682
Menkes 664
Pemberton 620
H & R 556
Camrost 485
Cresford 420

Thanks mike, that's interesting. What do the numbers mean tho? Is it their score out of 1000? I'm a bit surprised Great Gulf Homes isn't on the list at all.

Here's another render printed in the Globe and Mail this morning.

Once again I think it is an unrealistic perspective to make the tower look smaller. It would probably not appear quite like this in real life.

6582754.png
site_marketwharf11re1big.jpg

Certified!

I inspected the site and the design yesterday evening.

I totally approve! It will make an excellent contribution to the surrounding neighbourhood in my opinion.

Hope to see the shovels in the ground fairly quickly.

Louroz

Thanks mike, that's interesting. What do the numbers mean tho? Is it their score out of 1000? I'm a bit surprised Great Gulf Homes isn't on the list at all.

Sorry to send the thread on a tangent. Great Gulf did not have enough closings last year to be included in the survey - they may be listed in this years survey which will be publically released in October.

The J.D. Power press release is attached below:

TORONTO: 3 October 2007 — Condominium builders in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) are improving steadily in satisfying new-home buyers compared with 2006, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Canadian New Condominium Builder Customer Satisfaction StudySM released today.
The study, now in its second year, measures customer satisfaction of condominium buyers throughout the purchase and early ownership experience. Buyers are asked to evaluate their builder in nine factors: sales staff; design centre; home and building readiness; customer service; price/value; physical design; building features/amenities; home quality; and location.

The GTA market average satisfaction score has increased to 620 (on a 1,000-point scale) in 2007 from 588 in 2006—representing a gain of 5.4 percent. While GTA builders have made improvements across all nine factors that contribute to overall satisfaction, the most notable gains are in three areas: home and building readiness, physical design and building features/amenities.

“It is clear that many builders are focusing more intently on the expressed needs and desires of home buyers,†said Darren Slind, senior director of the real estate and performance improvement practices at the Canadian office of J.D. Power and Associates. “These builders are responding with an improved new-condominium purchase and ownership experience that more closely matches customer expectations. Condominium builders have made great strides in areas that matter most to buyers, such as increasing the ease of onsite move-in, improving the condition of the suite and building exterior at occupancy, and enhancing the usability and functionality of balconies and patios.â€

Tridel Corporation ranks highest in new-condominium buyer satisfaction in the GTA for a second consecutive year with an index score of 767. Tridel performs particularly well in seven of the nine factors that contribute to overall satisfaction: sales staff; design centre; physical design elements; home quality; home and building readiness; warranty service and building features/amenities. Daniels Corporation and Monarch Corporation follow Tridel in the rankings with scores of 712 and 682, respectively. All three builders show considerable improvement in overall customer satisfaction performance compared with 2006.

The study finds that the frequency and quality of communication between the builder and the condominium buyer has a strong impact on customer satisfaction.

“One of the common strengths of the highest-ranking builders is that they are very proactive in communication with their customers,†said Slind. “They don’t wait for the home buyer to call to ask for construction status updates or to report problems after they’ve moved in. These builders invest considerable time and effort to keep their buyers informed and engaged throughout the entire purchase and early ownership period, which can span up to three years,†said Slind.

The study also finds that the need for pro-active communication extends to the property management team. For example, nearly one of every two new condominium owners report that no formal introduction was made to the property management team, which has a negative impact on satisfaction. Similarly, the availability of the property management team and the timeliness of their communication with residents also have a strong impact on customer satisfaction.

The 2007 Canadian New-Home Builder Customer Satisfaction Study is based on the responses of 1,499 buyers within the Greater Toronto Area whose condominium homes registered in calendar year 2006. The study was fielded from March to May 2007. J.D. Power and Associates also measures customer satisfaction with new-home builders (low-rise homes) in the Greater Toronto and Ottawa-Carleton markets. For more comprehensive information on GTA and Ottawa-Carleton builders, visit the J.D. Power Consumer Center at

I was just reading the Globe and saw this ad: this building is gonna be super sexy!:D

But you know, I wish Clewes would get a few "modern lofts" commissions, using just the podium on this building as a starting point. I can think of many "avenues" (The Queensway, for example) that would look great wrapped in red brick 10 story loft buildings.

Went by the sales centre again today after lunch and it looks like there were some rescissions. there were now about 8 SW corner units available now, as opposed to only 3 when I was last there. Lots of red dots, but still a lot of small units available. I'm still rooting for this building.

Site Plan Application submitted

Application submitted August 12, 2008 with the proposed development description of "NEW MIXED-USE BUILDING 34-STOREYS WITH 448 DWELLING UNITS AND RETAIL AT GRADE"

City file # 08 192639 STE 28 SA
Planner: Al Rezoski (416) 392-0481

Back