Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

A little update:

As of this evening, this building is around 50% sold (intend to buy)

When I was there Saturday afternoon ~2pm, the sales rep indicated about 60%+ was sold. The board had red dots all over the place but I suspect that alot of them may be RE agents speculating on them during the first 10 day 'cooling-off' period.

It will be interesting to see if the sales still hold in 2 weeks from now.

I tried to attach some pictures of the model suite I took with my cellphone but it doesn't want to upload ... oh well.

I agree with you Bentley, Context has good designs but prices now are WAY OUT of wack. The suites in this building are too small in IMO. Some of the larger units (900sqft+) are nicely laid out.

That's okay ... I'll wait until the building is completed in 2012 most likely and TO condo market will have dropped to about $300/sqft.

Regarding the above post.

Yes - Toronto still does have a fair amount of space in its core for development. However, it is filling up quickly and at the pace we are going right now will run out of prime development space within the next twenty years.
Secondly, there is no other major G8 city in the world where you can find prices at 300/sq/ft this close to the core.

Prices may level off for the next few years and perhaps in some areas even drop a little. Overall if it is a good location, close to transit and other amenities, prices at $500 - $600/sq.ft. will be average.

Two pics of the model

2650671862_8ee9a72013_o.jpg

2650671562_d0681d3c51_o.jpg

It's only a model.

(We're finally seeing the proper proportions of the tower compared to the renderings from the Jarvis Street vantage point.)

looks like the 9th floor balcony is already coming off.

Way to go Catcher! Great shots!
Love the old archive pic. Imagine living back then and having a glimpse into the future. Your mind probably wouldn't be able to grasp it.

I'm starting to do a little bit of a turn on this thing. I like the proportions of the tower to the base. Certainly looks better than the renderings. I like the flat slab feel on top of the podium. There is a sense of balance to this thing. Still can't figure out what that foggy glass portion on the podium is supposed to be. Anybody know?

Still absolutely hate those balconies. Disaster now confirmed. Look closely at the model in these nice sharply focused pictures. They look kind of lopsided as if the model builder was hung over, had done a sloppy job, by not sticking them on straight. The glue dried while he went off to have a nap. If it looks like this in minature...

Sometimes the city (and this architect) really don't have a clewe.

Jammed up against the Gardiner, this should be a tall tower that steps down to the north to

the neighbourly podium scale. Ain't rocket science.

The model posted above is little more than a translucent "slab". A mildly interesting slab, but a slab nonetheless.

wharf.jpg

WHOAH!! What gives? Are there two models of this thing?

This pic looks different then the the last two.

^ that pic was photoshopped as an example of what 3D believes should have been done. I like 3D's better. thanks 3D, and Catcher of course, glad you didn't get into an accident

I don't like the proportions at all. Definitely too short. I don't know why they dont' just fill up the whole block instead of using a point tower.

Thanks, catcher - the model confirms that the podium is substantial, matches the adjacent red brick St. Lawrence Neighbourhood buildings on either side, and sets the tone for the tower and its long north-south ribbon balconies.

I'm sort of surprised by all the negative reactions to this project. i think its a really nice building with an interesting brick podium that does respect its surroundings, and a glass tower with curved balconies to acknowledge the proximity to the lake. I think the shape of the balconies are a very nice and unusual feature. And I think the location is amazing, the st lawrence market area is one of the most beautiful and nicely developed areas in the city in my opinion, and this is close to all of that. I'm such a believer in this area that I bought a unit in the nearby L tower, which i bought at $515 a sq ft. and they raised the price immediately after that first day of sales by about 15%. the price point of market wharf seems totally in line with the value of a certain class of buildings in the area. Obviously there are a selection of different buildings at different price points in this and every area of the city. You pay more for design, for location, or buildings that will be landmarks as opposed to those that are more low-impact, and obviously if you're willing to buy a unit in a much older building you can always get much more sq ft per dollar, but that's all personal choice, and there is a market for all of those preferences. If I wasn't already leveraged, I would totally consider buying a unit here. I went to the sales office too, and they sold almost all of the larger corner 2 bedroom units first, as opposed to the smaller one-bedrooms, which was unusual. This seems to show that there indeed fewer investors out there right now, but lots of people want to live there. Will be interesting to see how many get rescinded. I will be watching this building with interest.

I agree with you about the neighbourhood 100%.
It's fascinating to hear that most of the two bedrooms got snapped up. That would have to be people who want to live there. Too bad the builder missed the target on analyzing the demographics and not build so many tiny units. Perhaps the builder will let people combine units like they did in London on the Esplanade. When they offered that they were apparantly quite surprised at the number of people who took advantage of the opportunity.

Congrats on your Ltower purchase, you lucky dog!

Back