Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

The tower? Everybody oohs and ahhs over lots of balcony space and just about nobody uses them.

I find that there is a general consensus on this board that most believe balconies are under used and overrated. I love my balconies. In the summer I have breakfast on mine almost every morning and dinner almost every evening. I also use mine to grow vegetables and flowers. I have a great outdoor sectional that gets used on a regular basis for myself, and my partner but also whenever guests are over. The only tragedy is when winter rolls around. That being said if the 1 Bloor model of using lanais was used more that would be ideal for condominiums in Toronto and other northern-climate cities.

I use my back garden as an extension of the house in the spring, when the weather is mild - have breakfast out there, afternoon tea at weekends. But once it gets hot and humid, from mid-June onwards, I only venture out to pick raspberries and other fruit when the sun is low. It gets rapidly overgrown after that, the insects are a nuisance, and I return in September to prune and tidy up when the weather is cooler. Maybe a garden is an idea as much as a place to actually garden in; gazing out at it from inside the house is a perfectly valid way of enjoying it. Seeing distant urban vistas through floor-to-ceiling windows in highrise towers is probably the equivalent; actually going out on the balcony may not be as important to some.

I use my garden/patio as much as possible, weather permitting, but now that I have a covered porch it will also be a lovely place to sit with a book during a rain shower. For me, cabin fever starts to set in around February and I just can't wait for the first mild weather to get out and dig in the garden, bbq and have friends over for drinks on the patio. Ahhhhhhhh, I'm dreaming of it already.

Personally i dont think you will see this development and the next phase of the distillery project built till the Toronto condo market rebounds.

In another thread I thought you said prices weren't going down and basically felt we would see appreciation into perpetuity? Remember what that Brad Lamb article told you.

In another thread I thought you said prices weren't going down and basically felt we would see appreciation into perpetuity? Remember what that Brad Lamb article told you.

I do remember saying its a good time to buy.
Until a lot of these condos in these buildings under construction that have saturated the Toronto market are sold,these approved proposals will have to get in line and wait to get built.

Last edited:
After living in an apartment with a balcony for a few years and then moving to my current condo without one, I have to say that I rarely miss it. The only times I do wish I had a balcony are 1) when I want to shake out some floor mats, 2) when I want to empty the vacuum cleaner, and 3) when I need to cut something with a handsaw.

That said, my previous balcony was a scorching south-facing strip of concrete overlooking a noisy street, and it was constantly infested with pigeons and their (probably) diseased droppings. If I had some sort of nice shaded terrace overlooking a park, it might have been a different story!

After living in an apartment with a balcony for a few years and then moving to my current condo without one, I have to say that I rarely miss it. The only times I do wish I had a balcony are 1) when I want to shake out some floor mats, 2) when I want to empty the vacuum cleaner, and 3) when I need to cut something with a handsaw.

That said, my previous balcony was a scorching south-facing strip of concrete overlooking a noisy street, and it was constantly infested with pigeons and their (probably) diseased droppings. If I had some sort of nice shaded terrace overlooking a park, it might have been a different story!

So you just throw your vacuumed garbage over the side a la London circa 1820?

There's a rumour in the neighbourhood (from 'normally reliable sources") that Market Wharf is going to complete this project in phases. Phase 1 would start in 2009 and is ..... the big-box Shoppers Drug Mart store at the north end of the site.

There's a rumour in the neighbourhood (from 'normally reliable sources") that Market Wharf is going to complete this project in phases. Phase 1 would start in 2009 and is ..... the big-box Shoppers Drug Mart store at the north end of the site.

hmm, that's kind of unfortunate, but promising nonetheless. every projects has to start somewhere and getting rid of that parking lot is a priority.

Who knows ... maybe SDM has a contract to have the store constructed/occupied by 20xx.
It won't hurt Context to have the foundation poured and set ... concrete hardens more over time.

I heard a similar thing ... and City's Planner tells me this site was a 'phased development approval' ... meaning that the retail (SDM) portion has been approved, while approvals for the residential condo is still under review

Back