Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Gardens by the bay by my count is about 57 hectares, Portlands looks like it'll create about 40 hectares of parkland. So smaller, but not by orders of magnitude.

You absolutely must be kidding.

31094-106965.jpg

vs Gardens by the Bay:

298724-d318eb3d-62c3-48d0-a3f7-605c5732118e.jpg

5ed9054876064ef80832c22f9c8956b9.jpg

gardens-by-the-bay-overview.jpg

Credits to the authors.

@ADRM is entirely accurate.

While Gardens by the Bay is indeed much larger in total area, much of what it is, is the antithesis of nature.

Plants were sourced from all over the world, including a variety of different climate and eco-zones.

It may be wonderous in its variety, but that is entirely unnatural.

There are some areas of the gardens which provide a more natural landscape, but once you remove the buildings, super trees, and non-native plants you get an area smaller than the Lower Don Lands devoted to nature.

Nature being what would ideally occur without human intervention, and can be self-sustaining in the largest measure.

The Gardens by the Bay is many wondrous things, but that, it is not.

Also keep in mind that the Toronto project is not only the newly created valley, but wetlands to the north of Lake Shore, and the Don Greenway to the south.

In respect of costs, these are projects of similar scale, both in excess of 1B CAD.

Gardens by the Bay is nice to visit as a tourist, but it isn't a space I would want to go back to every day. It lacks soul, to be frank. It is very flashy and human-made, and half the time you are walking through it it doesn't feel like you are in a garden so much as an art gallery. I much prefer the current port lands plan.

Anyone interested in the Flood Protection schedule may want to look at the WT Meeting Book - Finance, Audit & Risk Management Committee Meeting for their November 29th meeting. More detail than I can cope with but others may have more stamina. Link to it from meeting calendar on the WT site:

Anyone interested in the Flood Protection schedule may want to look at the WT Meeting Book - Finance, Audit & Risk Management Committee Meeting for their November 29th meeting. More detail than I can cope with but others may have more stamina. Link to it from meeting calendar on the WT site:
Link?

Thanks for this update! Helps me at work ;p

I hope that I'm reading this wrong or that you're being sarcastic, because if not that's the dumbest thing I've read so far this week.
Of course it's sarcasm! We are so proud that we are this successful, rich country/city but then we can't afford nice things or even to properly house the homeless. Our politicians brag about how great we/they are doing yet they are always crying poor. So, which is it? The hypocrisy is ridiculous!

Hopefully - we'll get some good fishing spots down there

Back