Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

You can't compare Singapore to Toronto!

Lowest bidder wins it in Toronto.

If we had to get a "new" city hall these days, expect the winner to be a rectangle block. See link.

8e6d-rg_reports_box9-fl0001c.jpg

95be-s0843_fl0133.jpg

Reactions: DTC
The context is rather different - this project is mainly about floodproofing and restoration of a river valley; the Gardens by the Bay is solely about creating a new signature green/botanical garden space.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that at Ontario Place or even the Islands (toned down at bit for the latter). But this project isn't it.

AoD

Huh?

1. The vast majority of what’s underway here is about providing new spaces to engage with nature; I’m very impressed that so much of it will be public space — the easy thing would’ve been to go the other way.
2. We have a housing crisis and it’s not going anywhere anytime soon, so yes, virtually anywhere where it’s possible to integrate some new housing, we should do so.
3. Politicians didn’t come up with this plan.

Singapore’s per capita GDP was around 8% higher than Canada’s in 2017. Admittedly, Toronto probably has a higher per capita GDP than Canada as a whole, but since we function as a tax farm for the rest of the country, the national number is probably ok to use as a measure of our economic capacity.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/singapore/gdp-per-capita

I mean, I'm really happy that they're naturalising the river and I find the project ok , but something similar to the Gardens of the Bay could have been so amazing. There just should be more nature in the waterfront.

The good side is that there's still more land available.

Singapore’s per capita GDP was around 8% higher than Canada’s in 2017. Admittedly, Toronto probably has a higher per capita GDP than Canada as a whole, but since we function as a tax farm for the rest of the country, the national number is probably ok to use as a measure of our economic capacity.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/singapore/gdp-per-capita

The tax dollars raised in Toronto goes outside of Toronto.

I mean, I'm really happy that they're naturalising the river and I find the project ok , but something similar to the Gardens of the Bay could have been so amazing. There just should be more nature in the waterfront.

The good side is that there's still more land available.

Again, I find the “more nature” criticism just bizarre, because: A) this project is *mostly* nature; B) the structures that most people most closely associate with Gardens are, in fact, man-made and thus not nature; and C) it wouldn’t surprise me if there will be more total area dedicated to nature in this project than there is at Gardens.

Again, I find the “more nature” criticism just bizarre, because: A) this project is *mostly* nature; B) the structures that most people most closely associate with Gardens are, in fact, man-made and thus not nature; and C) it wouldn’t surprise me if there will be more total area dedicated to nature in this project than there is at Gardens.

You absolutely must be kidding.

31094-106965.jpg

vs Gardens by the Bay:

298724-d318eb3d-62c3-48d0-a3f7-605c5732118e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back