Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

28 March 2012: I've decided Shangri La is a Virgo--fussy details, can't make up its mind what it should be, but ultimately about micro-managing money. Very Vancouver.

020jdq.jpg

018xj.jpg

015poa.jpg

From the last picture...

If I focus less on the composition as 'podium' and consider the emerging street wall as a whole I think the Shangri-La base is shaping up to be quite successful. We often complain about monolithic block-busting facades, and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Actually tewder I agree with u. Things don't have to look the same. In fact a variety of architectural features at street level looks even nicer than a uniform look throughout the building.

I agree with Tweder and vatche.
In fact; imagine no hoarding, the black granite completed; and if one looks especially at the last picture imagining glass where the hoarding now sits; I think it actually looks quite appealing and certainly interesting.
I know I am prejudiced but I personally believe this is one of the better executed buildings in Toronto and also is quite true to its renderings.

I agree too. I think the base is one of the best the city has seen so far in this "boom" I don't necessarily understand those who are complaining about different materials and treatments. My gosh, the restored house has at least 6 different materials, colours and treatments in the same facade. The horror!!

Pretending ur walking by different small buildings built by different architects. Nothin wrong with that. In fact better.

Exactly. I understand an appreciation of harmony and cleanliness of design, but at ground level, creating a real, interesting experience for people is the priority and trumps any "harmony" or "simplicity" (etc.) in my opinion.

From the last picture...

... We often complain about monolithic block-busting facades, and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

I think that's exactly the intent of the design, to humanize the scale at street level by breaking it down.

In the first pic, there appears to be a shadow across the dark gray granite. In the last pic, the colour is the same for both sections of granite - so the last pic gives a better indication of the finished look.

Last edited:
It's quite a fascinating parade of materials along Adelaide - and I use that word advisedly as it does seem harmonious, and a progression, as opposed to merely a jumble. I am really looking forward to the final touches, and especially the unveiling of the public art component on University Avenue on May 5th.

Back