Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

That's not true. You can still use a tripod for point and shoots, or just simply use the timer and sit the object on a steady surface :)
The photos look great though!

i do have a mini-tri-pod, but never bring it,... i tried resting the camera on the ledge, keeping it very steady, and produced those photos, (they're blurry when zoomed in, but decent zoomed out),. what does the timer do to help with the photos? isn't it all about shutter speed and what not?
btw: CN tower outside the restaurant at night sucks. they have so many lights/vending machines that cause glare on the glass. it's dumb. even in the afternoon you get glare.

personally, i think the best view of downtown is from Manulife (even though i've never been. last i checked you had to be 18 or older), though first canadian, TD Centre, and Brookfield place are cool too,

Khristopher is right about the timer. It eliminates any camera movement from your hands as you hit the shutter release button. I use it all the time for night photography, regardless of whether I am using a tripod or not.

Last edited:
Khristopher is right about the timer. It eliminates any camera movement from your hands as you hit the shutter release button.

right, i guess even the slightest amount of vibrations can mess up a photo...
i hate how nature works. during the day, i can take crisp photos even while moving.... at night, i can't take photos for sh*t!

I wouldnt say that - both of the first 2 look pretty sharp to me. you just gotta learn all the little things that will let you take perfect photos. sometimes wind can ruin you shots when using a tripod so sometimes the elements make it impossible. You just control everything you can and the timer is one of them.

Shangri-La peeks through - from the Lakeshore.

shangri-la-27-08-2011.jpg

I'm sure this could be for another thread, but does anyone else think that the CN tower could use a little TLC? And if so, what are your thoughts on sprucing it up? The concrete does look like it's been through a lot.

I'm sure this could be for another thread, but does anyone else think that the CN tower could use a little TLC? And if so, what are your thoughts on sprucing it up? The concrete does look like it's been through a lot.

Definitely! Who knows what the heck can be done here but someone needs to figure something out. This is the good side, the others are worse.

I say paint it black! It would be so Darth Vader...

LOL!
I wouldn't mind them painting it all white, except it would get dirty really really fast.
sheesh, over the past 3 years, this tower has lost SO MUCH STEAM! Burj Khalifa, Then Shanghai world financial center having the highest observation, then Guangzhou sightseeing tower, Then Tokyo Skytree, and now that huge clocktower in Mekkah,

Yes it is rather unspectacular compared to a lot of the enormous buildings and towers going up around the world, not just in height but design as well. However it is from another era and held title for 30 years- not too shabby at all. I do like the Tokyo tower but I have to say that the 600+ metre skyscraper/clock tower in mecca looks absolutely awful.

Shangri la is looking pretty good, not long before this one is topped out now.

t I have to say that the 600+ metre skyscraper/clock tower in mecca looks absolutely awful.

i agree. it looks like it was built 50 years ago. but considering it is built for with a religious background in mind, it reflects the culture,
But nonetheless, i find it a CRAZY feat in construction. it has SO FEW FLOORS, that it makes it hard to wrap around how tall it is in photos,

I'd love to see the CN Tower in black. Anyone able to whip up a 'shop?

Although it'd be hard to see at night haha.

The CN Tower is one of the top feats of engineering of the last century. It beats out all those other towers, easy.

Back