Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Nice pic nopacnone:), and welcome to the forum....Charlie in the E.D. will be poping up soon,
i also cant believe when all is said and done, we will be witnessing 20 or more towers in that district.

this angle (where the sun highlights the curtainwall) makes me really really wish they had those tapper effects going on the facade... it looks a tad boxy from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont get it, the Shangri-La in a lot of those pics looks non-existent..and how tall is it.:confused:

With wopchop confirming that they are pouring level 56, it will roughly be about this high - probably a bit more given that there are higher ceilings in the Private Estates & PH suites + mechanical. Forgive the crappy copy & paste job

Last Friday, and then something close to the final height.

Shangri-la_Aug26-11-1.jpg

Shangri-la_Aug26-11_mod.jpg

this angle (where the sun highlights the curtainwall) makes me really really wish they had those tapper effects going on the facade... it looks a tad boxy from here.

Yeah, to me having the tapers on one side but not on the other seems a bit weird to me. The tower is relatively symmetrical, so even just a copy and paste onto the other side of the building would have been welcome, instead of a relatively straight facade. Especially considering that this is the side of the building that most people will be seeing. Unless you're walking along University or can manage to sneak a peek through the other skyscrapers when you're east of this tower, you won't even be able to see the taper effect.

Yeah, to me having the tapers on one side but not on the other seems a bit weird to me. The tower is relatively symmetrical, so even just a copy and paste onto the other side of the building would have been welcome, instead of a relatively straight facade. Especially considering that this is the side of the building that most people will be seeing. Unless you're walking along University or can manage to sneak a peek through the other skyscrapers when you're east of this tower, you won't even be able to see the taper effect.

I honestly never knew the entire west facade was going to be flat.
I thought it would tapper a bit near the top, but i guess not.... But we WILL get a skybox thing (or whatever they have on the University side, near the base), that sits in the area near the balconies.....

a few min ago...
6093700210_84bedfc91e_b.jpg

EDIT:
The "skybox thing" i was talking about:

6093222613_e196f5c522_z.jpg

More photos of the model here:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/16000-steveve-s-Toronto-city-model/page12

Last edited:
I honestly never knew the entire west facade was going to be flat.
I thought it would tapper a bit near the top, but i guess not.... But we WILL get a skybox thing (or whatever they have on the University side, near the base), that sits in the area near the balconies.....

That will break up the monotony somewhat, but it's still much less interesting to look at than the facade along University. That facade in my opinion is the building's best feature, it's what makes it unlike every other glass tower going up right now. Without it it's just another glass box. Why not have it on both sides? It's not like having it on both sides will make the University facade less interesting.

I guess there's a reason why the vast majority (if not all) of the renders that I've seen have shown the tower as viewed from University.

That facade in my opinion is the building's best feature, it's what makes it unlike every other glass tower going up right now. Without it it's just another glass box.

It may be the buildings best feature, but its far from being the only one. As I've said before, that facade is not the only thing which elevates it above the average condo in this city. There's precious few other buildings in Toronto that employ such a high quality curtain wall. Most of which are boxy and much less visible on the skyline. It has a unique and refreshing geometry, I don't see how you could possibly group this one together with the glass 'boxes' of the city. The horizontal and vertical fins are two more of the great additional features of this building that are rarely seen elsewhere. Clearly your average glass box in this city is not in any way comparable to Shangri-La, even discounting the eastern facade.

Last edited:
You may dislike glass boxes, vegeta, but Shangri-La is basically a glass box when seen from the north - and that's arguably the most critical perspective, where the tower acts as a view terminus to University Avenue. And, given that, a number of mere glass boxes ( KPMB's Festival Tower, with its distinctive vertical notch running up the east face and becoming a roof feature against the skyline that's seen from some distance along King Street, for example ) do a better job than Shangri-La does. I'm baffled why the design emphasizes the west and east facades and makes so little of the most important perspective.

Yes its true when view from the north the distinctive architectural features are less visible and it appears more 'boxy'. However I don't feel that they ignored that perspective. Perhaps the idea was to give it the appearance of a towering 'glass shard'. Something I feel it accomplishes due to its slender proportions, the tint and quality of the cladding and of course its soaring height.
For a building of its height, it doesn't feel overbearing.

Yes its true when view from the north the distinctive architectural features are less visible and it appears more 'boxy'. However I don't feel that they ignored that perspective. Perhaps the idea was to give it the appearance of a towering 'glass shard'. Something I feel it accomplishes due to its slender proportions, the tint and quality of the cladding and of course its soaring height.
For a building of its height, it doesn't feel overbearing.

The absent slants on the west side are probably due to the necessary cheapening of all Toronto projects. The developer probably felt obligated to meet that expectation.

Back