Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

LOL!
I wouldn't mind them painting it all white, except it would get dirty really really fast.
sheesh, over the past 3 years, this tower has lost SO MUCH STEAM! Burj Khalifa, Then Shanghai world financial center having the highest observation, then Guangzhou sightseeing tower, Then Tokyo Skytree, and now that huge clocktower in Mekkah,

That mecca clock tower is is pretty crap-tacular from a design perspective. But I do have to give them credit for actually building the thing, never thought it'd go through and for how outrageously massive the whole development is. I do like the appearance of the Guangzhou tower & the Skytree but like wopchop noted they all just don't compare from an engineering stand point.
The only one that arguably can is the Burj Khalifa.

You have to remember steveve, the CN towers probably almost as old as your father! :p Pretty damn impressive no?

Last edited:
You have to remember steveve, the CN towers probably almost as old as your father! :p Pretty damn impressive no?

Ah-hem (clears throat), I remember staring up in wonder as a kid whenever we'd come downtown as this was being built. Careful there, your making me feel old!

Lol...dont worry... We get our share of feeling old at school.... At least i do..... when someone my age (15) actually enjoys and is putting an effort into learning about politics, architecture, urban design, photography, etc..... I mean ... It does kind of scare my friends who like me have been living in the suburds their whole life and i happen to know the subway system better than their parents.... it does kinda make me feel old....

Enough with the off topic posts please. There's another area of the forum for incredibly ugly towers. It's called "Rest of the Universe". Please use that.

lol! CN tower talk on the Shangri-la thread ^^^

IMO, Shangri-la would've equally looked cool with Purple glass (if that is even possible), but i'm completely fine with the type of glass used.
the facade is easily 10x better than Shangri-la,

lol! CN tower talk on the Shangri-la thread ^^^

IMO, Shangri-la would've equally looked cool with Purple glass (if that is even possible), but i'm completely fine with the type of glass used.
the facade is easily 10x better than Shangri-la,

That doesn't even make sense. Which facade is better than Shangri-La? The CN Tower's?

Hi, Anyone know when Shangri La is to be ready for move in? When hotel actually opens up? Or any planned schedule updates? Thanks.

really? i like the look of the ritz. not sure what to make of this one yet.

From the outside, the north facade of the Ritz, for me, looks really faded/dull, and looks old easily.... i'm absolutely fine with the glass on the east/west/south sides.... also, the podium spandrel/colour looks kinda dusty for some reason... not to say that the Ritz isn't a stunning building though (especially on the inside).

Amenity wise, I think the Ritz will probably be better, but Shangri-la has the sexier facade! :D

really? i like the look of the ritz. not sure what to make of this one yet.

Yeah same here, this one just doesnt cut it yet... maybe when they get up there upon the 66th floor with the installation of the rooftop fins, dont know:confused:
When under construction the Ritz just had a lot more going, with the building angle and rooftoop slope.

Amenity wise, I think the Ritz will probably be better, but Shangri-la has the sexier facade! :D

I'm down with ya Steveve. The Ritz may be the more interesting design but it doesn't even compare when it comes to the cladding and details. Seems to me that some people are complaining about this one just because it doesn't seem to dominate the skyline, as of yet.

Last edited:
I'm down with ya Steveve. The Ritz may be the interesting design but it doesn't even compare when it comes to the cladding and details. Seems to me that some people are complaining about this one just because it doesn't seem to dominate the skyline, as of yet.

to me, the Ritz doesn't shine the way shangri-la does. it's cladding is a very conservative colour and type, as it just blends it with its surroundings. it does beg for attention like Shangri-la does with it's crazy shiny cladding, the sharp angles in the facade, right, smack in the middle of University ave, etc...

Back