Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Actually no. That treatment was never intended for the west side, just take a look at the renders.

I know it wasn't intended. Perhaps they kept it to the east side, exclusively, to save time, money? It seems weird two have to different faces for each side. I love the University Ave. facade but the other side is a wasted opportunity.

The broken fountain Queen and University should be aim to be more like the one you posted. That looks a hell of a lot better than what used to be south of there. When do you think that will be fixed by? 2015? Gotta get a least a few more years of derelictness out of it.

I know it wasn't intended. Perhaps they kept it to the east side, exclusively, to save time, money? It seems weird two have to different faces for each side. I love the University Ave. facade but the other side is a wasted opportunity.

Point being its not a 'cheaping'. Personally I too was disappointed when I realized they weren't going to use the treatment on the west side. That was about 4 or 5 years ago. In other words I'm over it.

The east facade is what it is - a sleek towering multi-faceted curtain wall with extruding fins. Are there even a dozen other high-rises in this city that can attest to being of the same quality? I just don't see the need to slag what is overall a high quality development when there's so much crap out there that's much more deserving.

Last edited:
Point being its not a 'cheaping'. Personally I too was disappointed when I realized they weren't going to use the treatment on the west side. That was about 4 or 5 years ago. In other words I'm over it.

The east facade is what it is - a sleek towering multi-faceted curtain wall with extruding fins. Are there even a dozen other high-rises in this city that can attest to being of the same quality? I just don't see the need to slag what is overall a high quality development when there's so much crap out there that's much more deserving.

I'm not completely disappointed by this building. It's easily one of the best looking towers in the city. My only dislike is the west wall. At least the glass is top notch, so that makes up for it somewhat.

I seem to remember the fountain spewing gravy instead of water.

Actually it was Swiss Chalet sauce. City hall is so bloody incompetent. How could that fountain be no closer to completion than it was 2 years ago? Has anything been done since the last car drove into it? And are we really that dead set about the granite coming from the same quarry it came from in the 60s? Why does it matter? Forget the heritage excuse. The fountain wasn't even added until decades after the war monument was built. Use some granite from the Canadian Shield. There's plenty of it up north.

I accidentally ended up watching the first minute or two of E-Talk on CTV last night, and their New (?) reporting Format (outdoors) shows a great shot of Shangri-La, but sadly the western side of the bldg is broadcast.

Now I'm starting to wish they would have gone w/ the angled walls on both sides; something that never bothered me til now.

It's not that I was necessarily slagging it, I just see it as a wasted opportunity, that's all. The eastern facade is amazing, and to have that replicated on the west side would not have made either side any less amazing.

From yesterday,
The photos are very blurry, so i'll keep em small!... The limitations of point and shoot cameras = blurry photos at night.

6096979887_e0c4f3bb9e_z.jpg

6097526224_386dfd91ba_z.jpg

6097522020_3a60bc2f5f_z.jpg

From yesterday,
The photos are very blurry, so i'll keep em small!... The limitations of point and shoot cameras = blurry photos at night.
That's not true. You can still use a tripod for point and shoots, or just simply use the timer and sit the object on a steady surface :)
The photos look great though!

Back