Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Victoria Day: Trying out DxO software to correct optical distortion caused by wide angle lenses. This way the leaning angle of the L Tower's north side becomes even more noticable.

7249314014_287cf94545_c.jpg
7249385574_f9ae563e6b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent photos, udo!

I saw L tower yesterday while dropping off a friend at Union train station. The side profile is quite striking and will continue to look more impressive as the curve nears completion. The side cladding is still mediocre, but the curtain wall on the curved north facade does look sleek.

Last edited:
L Tower Construction Timelapse

Ten months of L Tower construction in Toronto compressed into ten seconds (30 days/frames per second starting in July 2011). The resulting timelapse is a bit rocky and flickers a lot due to the changing light conditions every morning when the pictures were taken. I tried my best to align the individual pictures, which were not taken by a stationary camera, but from a tripod mounted camera, that had to be repositioned every day. The video isn't perfect, but still interesting I hope. Since the tower is far from being finished, I will continue taking pictures and create another timelapse when the tower has reached its full height, the windows have been installed and the crane has been disassembled. Does this mean another ten months?

[video=vimeo;42672056]http://vimeo.com/42672056[/video]

Due to its portrait orientation and small embed size at UrbanToronto the timelapse is best viewed directly at Vimeo using HD and Fullscreen mode.

By the way, I just noticed that this was my 100th posting on UrbanToronto.

Last edited:
Awesome work udo!!!! for timelapses u can correct flicker with a program called granite bay deflicker (assuming you use adobe to edit). Great stuff!!!

The north side is looking really good judging by that last pic. Hopefully the east and west faces will look better as more cladding goes up

It appears that the last couple of floors, the pillars have definitely straightened. Hopefully when the weather wall is raised next week we will see the curve starting inwards to its point.
This is really something remarkable to watch.

Awesome work udo!!!! for timelapses u can correct flicker with a program called granite bay deflicker (assuming you use adobe to edit). Great stuff!!!

Thank you someMidTowner! I have followed your advice and used GBDeflicker to greatly reduce the timelapse-flicker. It is so much better now. While doing this I have also fixed the image distortion from using a wide angle lens. Just replay the timelapse above to judge for yourself.

Thank you someMidTowner! I have followed your advice and used GBDeflicker to greatly reduce the timelapse-flicker. It is so much better now. While doing this I have also fixed the image distortion from using a wide angle lens. Just replay the timelapse above to judge for yourself.

Looks like it worked wonders! glad you found the software useful udo. You should provide a link to your other vimeo videos in your signature so the rest of UT can see your awesome vids!!!

There we go! That curtain wall is going to look striking at the curve!

I think that thick blue edge, is what's going to really emphasize the curve and I agree, it will be striking. I can't think of a single building in Toronto that has such a prominent edge. It's that one simple feature that's going to make all the difference.

Last edited:

Back