Toronto James Cooper Mansion | ?m | 32s | Tridel | Burka

A long overdue update

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

From above -

Bit of an oddity, this one.

I can't quite peg what the colour of the glass and cladding is. Is it black? Is it dark grey? Is it dark green?

Walking by in-person I'm always left feeling puzzled by this addition to Sherbourne. I don't hate it by any means but I was always under the impression that it was going to be extremely sleek, high-end and impressive what with the mansion at the base and all.

Great shots as always, DT.

The spandrel panels are ugly. The podium is a disaster. No relationship whatsoever between heritage mansion and condo tower. Not a welcome addition to the neighbourhood or to the city at large. Bad, Tridel! Bad! Bad! Bad!

Last edited:
hmmm i dunno, i think i kinda like it, reminds me of Lumiere. I guess the podium could have been related to better, but Its not that noticeable from the street. just looks like a tower behind the old Mansion.

just looks like a tower behind the old Mansion.

And that is, I think, the big problem. The tower is "OK" and, as a stand-alone building, would soon have become invisible - having gone to the expense of moving the Mansion it's sad the architect did not connect the tower to it in design. Now it's just "stuck on" and not very artfully either!. An opportunity lost, I fear.

I don't mind the tower so much. Its colours are a modern take on the slate of the mansion's mansard roof, but I can't fathom the colour choice for the brick on the podium. Why wouldn't the developer use a burnt orange brick trimmed with the sandstone-coloured precast to better mimic the look of the mansion. Then the tower would have looked like a giant mansard roof on top of the podium.

Looks alright I guess, I thought the glass was supposed to be darker though..

It's funny to see that this thread is only about 15 pages long... And the towers almost complete. While other threads run 50 to 100+ pages. I guess this was never really an interesting development. Does anyone know how well it sold?
I'm guessing that since St Jamestown is right next door that it didn't do so well.

Does anyone know how well it sold? I'm guessing that since St Jamestown is right next door that it didn't do so well.

At their last meeting in August City Council approved a motion to allow another condo on the east side of Sherbourne almost opposite so I guess someone is interested in building there which means they think someone will buy and I assume they have looked at JCM sales.

Cladding nearly done:

4981287172_8a633a91cc_b.jpg

Back