Toronto James Cooper Mansion | ?m | 32s | Tridel | Burka

A few more of this tower and its ground level townhome units:

From Huntley Street:

JCooperMNW.jpg

Looking down Linden Street:

JCooperMW.jpg

The townhome units along Linden:

JCooperMSWpano.jpg

From the corner of Linden and Sherbourne, the mansion still partially under wraps:

JCooperMEpano.jpg

From Sherbourne and Selby:

JCooperMNEpano.jpg

Last edited:
No disrespect, Tridelwebmaster, but I hate this building. I find it architecturally, contextually, and materially unacceptable. That said, thanks for the link to the pics (and for The Republic pics).

Last edited:
No disrespect, Tridelwebmaster, but I hate this building. I find it architecturally, contextually, and materially unacceptable. That said, thanks for the link to the pics (and for The Republic pics).

on the other hand, Tridel is also responsible for winners like The Icon on Wellington. from the perspective of that very low bar, JCM starts to look like Rockefeller Center

5f85e83c.jpg

fd6f9f10.jpg

b31a7edf.jpg

Occupancy and construction update notice was sent to James Cooper Mansion purchasers today. http://tridelcondos.blogspot.com/2010/07/customer-care-corner-james-cooper.html

"Construction in the community is moving along well with concrete currently being poured on the 32nd floor. The precast and windows are currently being installed on the 24th floor while the interior finishing work such as drywall is on the 17th floor."

July 22nd & 23rd Update

Speaking of which...

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

From Sherbourne Street and Linden Street

From above, July 23rd (a hazy day)

I no longer like this one. I see it every day when I wake up in the morning and vomit in my mouth. Luckily I have X and Casa in my view as well

thanks for the update dt ~

while I like Tridel's preservation of James Cooper Mansion and the dark spandrels on the tower, I question/dislke the use of beige precast, yellow-orange brick, and the slate-like blocks on the 3rd floor ... there are too many materials in a not-so pleasant colour scheme which completely bears no relationship to the dark tower above nor the red bricked heritage structure fronting Jarvis ... why didn't Tridel just carry a similar brick across the entire podium that properly complimented with the existing mansion :confused:

they probably wanted the heritage building to look somewhat distinct from the podium. I also don't like the beige precast rows going up. Why is the tower black at all?

The base is embarrassing. I like the colour, but from a design point of view, it's pretty substandard. It also makes quite an impact heading southbound on the DVP, as you round the bend beneath the Leaside Bridge. From that distance it's okay, I like how the blackness stands out in front of the sea of beige.

The podium is pretty horrible. The precast up against that ugly brick. The podium should better match the tower portion. If it had grey precast with grey bricks, it would look a million times better.

The podium is pretty horrible. The precast up against that ugly brick. The podium should better match the tower portion. If it had grey precast with grey bricks, it would look a million times better.

I actually like the podium! I like the contract between the orange brick and the grey precast - I agree that it doesn't match the tower well at all ... which doesn't really hit in with the mansion in the first place.

I havent yet seen it in person so can only judge by the photos... but I think people are missing this detailing on the tower that picks up on the colour scheme of the townhouses and ties them together:
JCooper4_July22-10.jpg

Also, it looks to me as if the townhouses are scaled and colour matched to an existing building on the opposite side of the property. I agree that the townhouses may have looked better having a dark coloured brick against the light precast and stone. But I am actually kind of pleased to see a different colour scheme for a change here.... that looks like decent quality brick too as it is not a strict monotone, there are variations to it that give a textured and aged look.

Last edited:

Back