Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The province announced at Mississauga Sq One Terminal today that both the city of Mississauga & Brampton will receive $1.6 B to built the Hurontario LRT from Port Credit to Brampton that will connect to 3 GO Transit Rail Line.

Construction to start in 2018 with service late 2022.

The city of Mississauga has told all utilities to plan for this LRT construction and to increase service on the lines to meet the demand of future development along the line. Some construction to relocate lines could start in 2017.

There are a number of issues to work out before going out for bids that include who will operate the line as well where the vehicles will be coming from or be part of the bid precess. It should be part of the bid process.

After fighting for this line after 13 years, nice to see the funding for it.

I find it odd that the Zum wasn't extended to Valleywood in the first place, considering that the level of development picks up north of Wanless. There's nothing significant about Sandalwood to make it the end of the line.

Start of construction - 2018? The TPAP and early design work has been completed. The route decided, apart from the Downtown Brampton (and Port Credit) NIMBYs stil trying to fight this.

There will be both provincial and municipal elections that year. If the province was serious, they'd push to start construction in 2016, at least on the maintenance centre by Highway 407.
As I mentioned earlier, the whole RFQ and RFP process for this project will take some time.

While I can't find when Waterloo started their RFQ process, they released the shortlist of construction companies in February of 2013, the RFP was then issued a couple months after and didn't close until spring 2014.

Given that the Hurontario-Main LRT project is more than twice the size of the Waterloo project, I would expect the RFQ and RFP process to take about 2-2.5 years. I'm hopeful that we'll see the RFQ released by the summer.

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, the whole RFQ and RFP process for this project will take some time.

While I can't find when Waterloo started their RFQ process, they released the shortlist of construction companies in February of 2013, the RFP was then issued a couple months after and didn't close until spring 2014.
A bit of a timeline for Waterloo:

2005 - Consultations begin for Waterloo Region rapid transit
2009 - Council approves LRT, subject to additional funding from the Province and Feds
2010 - Province and Feds announce funding support ($300M and ~$253M respectively)
2011 - Post-election Council re-votes for LRT
2012 Feb - Design-Build-Finance-Maintain-Operate bundled contract is selected as method of procurement
2012 May - EA completed
2012 Oct - Request For Qualifications (RFQ) solicited
2013 May - Request For Proposals (RFP) issued to the three qualified bidding consortiums.
2014 Jan - Bids revealed
2014 Mar - Winning bid selected
2014 Aug - Groundbreaking on Maintenance and Storage facility.
2014 Oct - Election is fought with anti-LRT candidates threatening to pull the plug, but thankfully, most of them lose.

Sources:
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4390810-light-rail-transit-timeline/
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/projectinformation/history.asp

Start of construction - 2018? The TPAP and early design work has been completed. The route decided, apart from the Downtown Brampton (and Port Credit) NIMBYs stil trying to fight this.

There will be both provincial and municipal elections that year. If the province was serious, they'd push to start construction in 2016, at least on the maintenance centre by Highway 407.

Fully agree construction should be pushed up so that's it's well underway before municipal or provincial elections. In terms of downtown Brampton, the last council voted [PDF] against the surface Main route (September 10, 2014) but the current council has yet to way in. One would think the the Mayor of Brampton would have a strategy around this. Maybe this will be a case of the Minister ignoring a council vote because it doesn't have the same profile as Scarborough?

Last edited:
Fully agree construction should be pushed up so that's it's well underway before municipal or provincial elections. In terms of downtown Brampton, the last council voted against the surface Main route but the current council has yet to way in. One would think the the Mayor of Brampton would have a strategy around this. Maybe this will be a case of the Minister ignoring a council vote because it doesn't have the same profile as Scarborough?

I am getting a bit tired of constantly correcting this statement. The last council did not vote against any element of this project...including the surface route on Main through the downtown. The last council voted to defer the vote until they could see and review what alternatives there were. You are correct that after that deferral vote it has yet to come back before council.

A bit of a timeline for Waterloo:

2005 - Consultations begin for Waterloo Region rapid transit
2009 - Council approves LRT, subject to additional funding from the Province and Feds
2010 - Province and Feds announce funding support ($300M and ~$253M respectively)
2011 - Post-election Council re-votes for LRT
2012 Feb - Design-Build-Finance-Maintain-Operate bundled contract is selected as method of procurement
2012 May - EA completed
2012 Oct - Request For Qualifications (RFQ) solicited
2013 May - Request For Proposals (RFP) issued to the three qualified bidding consortiums.
2014 Jan - Bids revealed
2014 Mar - Winning bid selected
2014 Aug - Groundbreaking on Maintenance and Storage facility.
2014 Oct - Election is fought with anti-LRT candidates threatening to pull the plug, but thankfully, most of them lose.

Sources:
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4390810-light-rail-transit-timeline/
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/projectinformation/history.asp

Wow, between the 1st and 2nd step: 4 years. At least things are actually happening now, which seems like a miracle considering how many elections a transit project has to persist through to actually start construction.

Hurontario LRT would act as a good feeder into GO RER so hopefully they extend RER to Brampton and increase service on the Milton line.

I am getting a bit tired of constantly correcting this statement. The last council did not vote against any element of this project...including the surface route on Main through the downtown. The last council voted to defer the vote until they could see and review what alternatives there were. You are correct that after that deferral vote it has yet to come back before council.

Well, this should be an easy disagreement to solve. Either you or me can go onto the City of Brampton's website and look at the minutes. Happy to be proved wrong when I see the source. Were there two council meetings on this? Did the "deferral" decision come at the second meeting?

Now Therefore Let It Be Resolved That:
1. The Hurontario-Main LRT alignment north of Nanwood Drive, as contained in the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP), not be studied further as a surface route;

Source: Page 51 of the September 10, 2014 Council Meeting. I'll see if there is another meeting after this were the alleged "deferral" took place.

Edit: I searched the minutes of the Council meetings before the new Council was installed. I can't see any reference to "the last council voted to defer the vote". Only the above mentioned position against the LRT on the surface of Main. So yes, the last council did vote against an element in the HM LRT - and a major one.

Last edited:
The Feds look like they're going to announce $1B in transit funding for the largest cities based on ridership, etc. I'm sure come election time we may see something for the Yonge Subway since it passes through some pretty big ridings that tend to switch between conservative and Liberal.

We'll have to see what the TTC says about that. In the past the City has been pretty adamant that they won't accept the extension without the DRL

Well, this should be an easy disagreement to solve. Either you or me can go onto the City of Brampton's website and look at the minutes. Happy to be proved wrong when I see the source. Were there two council meetings on this? Did the "deferral" decision come at the second meeting?

The commitee of council voted unanimously in the first week of september last year to reject it...but committee of council meetings aren't binding on the city until their minutes are ratified at the next council meeting. On september 10 last year it came before council, the LRT part was removed from the committee of council meeting minutes before they were passed. The LRT matter was then discussed in a closed door part of the meeting and then when they re-emerged this is the motion that was voted on and accepted:

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/pages/minutes-agendas-archive.aspx?Year=2014 said:
Now Therefore Let It Be Resolved That:
1. The Hurontario-Main LRT alignment north of Nanwood Drive,
as contained in the Transit Project Assessment Process
(TPAP), not be studied further as a surface route;

2. The studies undertaken for alternative routes and alignments
north of Steeles Avenue, including an alternative north of
Nanwood Drive to connect to the Peel Memorial Hospital site
and GO transit line, be finalized and reported to Council;

3. A recommendation on a Hurontario-Main rapid transit
alignment north of Steeles Avenue be informed by further
input from consultation
and ongoing planning and design
studies for the Downtown and Central Area;

4. A final decision on the configuration of rapid transit in the
Hurontario-Main Corridor north of Steeles Avenue, and any
commitment to construct the Hurontario-Main LRT project
within Brampton, be subject to the approval of City Council;

5. It is a priority of this Council that the Main Street LRT
alignment continue north to the City’s northern boundary;

6. The City Clerk is directed to forward a copy of this Council
Resolution to the Minister of the Environment as a supplement
to the Environmental Project Report, the City of Mississauga,
and Metrolinx for information.

It was a carefully worded/cautious deferral. They Mayor (long a supporter of the LRT) is not a member of committee of council and therefore not at the week's previous meeting. It is widely held that what went on in that closed door session was a lot of negotiation about wording a deferral that let the opponents of the LRT downtown route save face. so point 1 looks like a rejection of the surface route through downtown....but it just says it is not studied further. Point 2 appeases the folks putting forward the notion of taking it to the hospital site.....Point 3 just says consult us more....and Point 4 says council have the final decision.

There was never a vote that says "we will not allow this LRT through downtown".

Source: Page 51 of the September 10, 2014 Council Meeting. I'll see if there is another meeting after this were the alleged "deferral" took place.

Edit: I searched the minutes of the Council meetings before the new Council was installed. I can't see any reference to "the last council voted to defer the vote". Only the above mentioned position against the LRT on the surface of Main. So yes, the last council did vote against an element in the HM LRT - and a major one.

See above for the full council resolution

TTC is doomed by the spadina fiasco

You could have saved even more time by lower-casing "TTC".

Regardless, doomed is a bit of a stretch. Though things could be better for the TTC, they currently have a capable manager, a sympathetic senior government and some impressive projects that are underway. They've been through far worse periods than this and survived. Anyway, what could possibly replace it? Uber?

Back