Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I wonder why it needs to slow to 45 mph (72 km/h) for the north side ramp. Hopefully that's something related to the temporary track shift rather than a permanent limitation with the design
I may be wrong since I don't operate on that territory but some of the curves around st Clair to Eglinton are a bit sharp with steep northward grades.
Edit just checked, the pso for 45 mph is Mile 4.9 (davenport street) to mile 5.5 (around the pedestrian bridge), it has been there before the bridge was constructed

Last edited:
Cool story but when are they removing the diamond already?

When it suits CP’s work program.

Its continued presence isn’t holding up any further work on the flyover. For CP it’s a continued maintenance item, hence undesirable - but not an impediment to running trains. So it will get done at CP’s convenience.

As previously discussed, the bigger effort will be in updating the signalling on the CP line. That may need worker availability, work window(s), and procurement. A trickier thing to schedule.

- Paul

PS - if referring to the track, diamonds is plural - there are two to be removed.

I may be wrong since I don't operate on that territory but some of the curves around st Clair to Eglinton are a bit sharp with steep northward grades.
Edit just checked, the pso for 45 mph is Mile 4.9 (davenport street) to mile 5.5 (around the pedestrian bridge), it has been there before the bridge was constructed
The grade isn't the issue, the curvature and more specifically the reverse curves with very little tangent in between are the problem.

And without a large property take, I'm not sure that the problem is easily fixable.

Dan

1681133950362.png

This section had a big curve added when they grade-separated St. Clair.

I think a station here on yer Barrie line might be more desirable than people think. Connecting Woodbridge with Corso Italia. Surely a popular stop in the festival season. But I get the vibe the city would have to pick up the tab.

haven't seen any activity for a while. Crew got their vacays?
Yeah sense of urgency definitely looks to have subsided. Surely, Metrolinx has to inflate the budget and our tax dollar contributions somehow. They can take their time I don’t care just wish CP would remove the diamond tracks ASAP already so local residents don’t have to bear the track noise for the whole summer. Slow progress is the Canadian way! Love it.

Yeah sense of urgency definitely looks to have subsided. Surely, Metrolinx has to inflate the budget and our tax dollar contributions somehow. They can take their time I don’t care just wish CP would remove the diamond tracks ASAP already so local residents don’t have to bear the track noise for the whole summer. Slow progress is the Canadian way! Love it.

Removing the diamond and reducing noise to the neighbourhood is a priority, but that task rests solely with CP and there is nothing that ML or the contractor can do to move that along.
One would hope that ML expedites the rest of the work on the flyover and removal of the “old” trackage - so that the trail and public realm improvements happen quickly and the neighbourhood gets some return on its patience with the project.
As for finishing the flyover as a railway track….. there’s no need for the second track or its end ramps to be dine in a hurry. We are probably two years or more from seeing the tracks doubled at either end. I’m not expecting faster progress, and maybe the labour is better deployed to getting the fourth Kitchener track finished so the existing Railpath is restored quickly.

- Paul

Removing the diamond and reducing noise to the neighbourhood is a priority, but that task rests solely with CP and there is nothing that ML or the contractor can do to move that along.
One would hope that ML expedites the rest of the work on the flyover and removal of the “old” trackage - so that the trail and public realm improvements happen quickly and the neighbourhood gets some return on its patience with the project.
As for finishing the flyover as a railway track….. there’s no need for the second track or its end ramps to be dine in a hurry. We are probably two years or more from seeing the tracks doubled at either end. I’m not expecting faster progress, and maybe the labour is better deployed to getting the fourth Kitchener track finished so the existing Railpath is restored quickly.

- Paul
For sure, I’m just venting so my bad. Always appreciate your informative posts and replies Paul.

Back