86847BB7-D87E-4571-B549-C24CE14658E4.jpeg
59330A36-A8C7-4CA0-8144-D77B0DB9B3CA.jpeg
5603867F-E081-4A79-A81C-E51A18461344.jpeg
4585EFAC-5D3B-4AD9-8FF5-9AA3E6B861A8.jpeg
D3612189-EAB0-4005-AFB7-FD419C1ED039.jpeg
209DA7DC-A992-4746-A132-F11BBD242E1D.jpeg

Coming to a landscaping yard near you!

LOL

Not so fast - IIRC those were new ties that were laid fairly recently, ie when the track was first shifted at the start of the guideway construction. If so, they would still fetch more money as relay ties eg in a yard or siding.

Some railroads (CPKC being one) no longer recycle ties at end of life, preferring to send them for burning in cogeneration plants, which deals with the creosote in a greener manner. I’m not sure what ML’s policy is.

I recall when the Newfoundland Railway was torn up, every garden center east of Riviere du Loup had an enormous pile of surplus ties for sale, identifiable by the distinctive narrow gauge spike holes. I always wanted to bring some back to Toronto, but they were a bit too big and heavy to load in the family minivan for that distance

- Paul

LOL

Not so fast - IIRC those were new ties that were laid fairly recently, ie when the track was first shifted at the start of the guideway construction. If so, they would still fetch more money as relay ties eg in a yard or siding.

Some railroads (CPKC being one) no longer recycle ties at end of life, preferring to send them for burning in cogeneration plants, which deals with the creosote in a greener manner. I’m not sure what ML’s policy is.

I recall when the Newfoundland Railway was torn up, every garden center east of Riviere du Loup had an enormous pile of surplus ties for sale, identifiable by the distinctive narrow gauge spike holes. I always wanted to bring some back to Toronto, but they were a bit too big and heavy to load in the family minivan for that distance

- Paul
Makes sense if they are that new.

I have seen them used for fenceposts in fields near where a line used to be. I can only assume area farmers used the 'Ukrainian farm tank corps' approach.

For landscaping, there is nothing more hateful to work with.

but they were a bit too big and heavy to load in the family minivan for that distance
Besides, you already had a lobster pot tied to roof, right? Be honest with us now.

Back