Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Hey GB - Thanks for posting the working group minutes!

Not one word about height on Nov. 30! Weird...but also great. This project seems to be getting an easy ride.

Any predictions on how long it will take to sell out? I'm guessing that, given the location (fantastic) and hometown brand loyalty to 4 Seasons, it will be VERY quick.

I think 4S took the spot, not to say W isn't still looking around in the area.

My feeling is the hotel market will be too saturated (Ritz, Shangra-Li, 4S) for Hotel W unless they plan to take over the current 4S at Avenue & Cumberland after the new hotel is built.

I think wealthy people are pretty well connected and may have held out on Ritz or Shangra-li knowing 4S was coming(although I'm very hopeful they'll proceed) so there may well be pent-up demand. I agree the location is unrivalled. 4S is also the best recognized brand in the world. I'd be very sorry if they sawed it off at 30 stories. I cant figure out why we cant even discover what they're asking for, leaving aside what'll get approved.

Prince alwalid bin talal might not want to sell his hotel. i mean he just paid 85 million for it. And you know he loves Four Seasons in his Kingdom Hotels Empire.

Cumberland Terrace must be a money loser right now (aside from appreciation) because it seems mostly empty or filled with transient shops on short leases. There must be stuff going on in the background. My guess is the developer will hold out until the Four Seasons project proceeds because it makes his own proposal much more attractive, even though its a block south, allowing him to charge more for condo units.

There was a buzz on here a while back about W Hotels being interested in the area. Any further rumours about that, that anyone knows about?

Caltrane, the prince bought the hotel because it had the exclusive right to 4S in the area. This allows him to void the restriction in order to build the new 4S over at bay & Yorkville. Once its done I dont see why he'd want to retain the old 4S - hence an opportunity for Hotel W to take over the space.

"So, with that confirmed, I hate to say that the terrible truth is that there's no firm plan yet for redeveloping Cumberland Terrace"

(see Adma's post) this wasn't created (whenever it was) just for fun

CumberlandTerraceNew.jpg

no, but it's not currently going ahead...

and it's certainly not fun

it looks like it belongs on an Austrian alp

talk about kitsch

Told ya so. Except on an intensification-for-intensification's-sake basis--better, or worse, than Cumberland Terrace?

Although I don't like it much, it is better than what there is now. It would be very popular. Units with large, stepped back teracces are very desirable and if they do build this thing, it will sellout quickly. I think that if or when they redevelop the site, they will probably utilize the existing structure rather than tear it down and start from scratch. That pretty much limits any inovative new design.

I think that if or when they redevelop the site, they will probably utilize the existing structure rather than tear it down and start from scratch.

Why? Are you suggesting this because the overall size is similar to what's there now?

Back