Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

Regarding the fountain: no, there will be no cascading of water owing to the possibility of wind gusts in the courtyard: the Four Seasons does not want to douse their guests. During the day you'll just have to admire the object itself. Each basin is filled with water however, so during the evening when the lights are turned on in it, the led uplighting through the rippling water will cause light to dance about and reflect off the basin above.

Will there still be "Four Seasons" roof signage like the render? Kind of surprising that no signage has gone up yet

hopefully they don't pull a Ritz.
I would't mind the Four Seasons logo instead of typical lettering, I think logos look better than lettering for the most part when it comes to skyline views. although not sure how iconic the four seasons tree is to most people.

Regarding the fountain: no, there will be no cascading of water owing to the possibility of wind gusts in the courtyard: the Four Seasons does not want to douse their guests. During the day you'll just have to admire the object itself. Each basin is filled with water however, so during the evening when the lights are turned on in it, the led uplighting through the rippling water will cause light to dance about and reflect off the basin above.

I'm sorry but a fountain without the flowing water is just ridiculous. What's the point? It's the water that makes the fountain come alive. Have you ever seen Buckingham fountain when the water is turned off? (in the winter) It's a completely different experience. I just don't see the point of going through all the trouble of making that beautiful fountain but you can't turn it on. What a disappointment!

i42's explanation makes sense, but I'm with you Torontovibe, we finally get a fountain - and a beautiful one at that, which ends up being nothing more than a light feature and mosquito breeding ground. Oh well, at least the new FS project exceeds expectations and turned out beautiful, so it's forgivable I suppose.

Mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem if the water is circulating within the basins, but to hear that it won't be falling from the basins is quite disappointing. I thought that Claude Cormier would produce a better landscape design than one with a grand fountain that isn't actually animated with falling water and an exquisite paving mosaic that only truly achieves its Victorian carpet effect from 30 storeys above.

If what You heard is right, Don't forget that for 6 months out of the year that fountain would be out of commission anyways.

Love the artwork inside. Edgy and contemplative. Quite unlike the Shangri-la interiors which are kinda bland imo.
So, we get a water fountain that doesn't actually have water cascading. Makes you wonder why they didn't choose a design that minimized the risk of <GASP> getting a little dribble of water on people.
What's wrong with people anyway? I guess everyone lives in a bubble and god forbid you may get water splashed onto you in a wind gust.
How does one go along in life worrying about such things? Imagine the horror when it rains!

It's not an appropriate place to be dousing people with water! I'm just surprised that nobody considered the fountain logistics here... and it does still feel too close to the entrance canopy. I do love it though.

How disappointing!! The Waldorf Astoria in Chicago has a nice WORKING water fountain in their drive circle, doesn't seem to be an issue with people getting wet. The Four Seasons should have thought of that before they spent all that money on the fountain. Now it's a giant bird bath!

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't they do it so only a trickle of water falls between the bowls (a few nozzles placed on the edges of the bowls and linked up to a small pump)? I'm pretty sure something like that won't get patrons wet.

Love the artwork inside. Edgy and contemplative. Quite unlike the Shangri-la interiors which are kinda bland imo.
So, we get a water fountain that doesn't actually have water cascading. Makes you wonder why they didn't choose a design that minimized the risk of <GASP> getting a little dribble of water on people.
What's wrong with people anyway? I guess everyone lives in a bubble and god forbid you may get water splashed onto you in a wind gust.
How does one go along in life worrying about such things? Imagine the horror when it rains!

Why didn't they locate the fountain in the middle of the rose garden, just to the east? Then the customers of the hotel would have a beautiful, romantic scene, just out their hotel windows and they would also be able to see it when they enter the driveway. It also would have been a nice gesture to the city by creating a very picturesque park, with the fountain as its showpiece. Maybe some of the guests might want to sit in the park and watch the cascading fountain, on a hot summer day? Rich people enjoy the outdoors, just like the rest of us and nothing is more appealing on a hot day than the sight, sound and feel of cool water flowing. OK, it's not a HUGE deal but I thought 5 star hotels were all about the little details. How could the Four Seasons screw up something that I think is more than a small detail?

Didn't the designers think about the customer's getting splashed, from the get go? I would think it's quite obvious. None of these very bright people (I'm making assumptions here lol) thought of that? If you are going for maximum impact and creating an impressive entry for the guests, you need that water flowing in abundance, for the full impact. Forget about bubbling water or even a light drip. Seriously, they need a rethink. That fountain needs to be moved to the park.

Last edited:
Why didn't they locate the fountain in the middle of the rose garden, just to the east? Then the customers of the hotel would have a beautiful, romantic scene, just out their hotel windows and they would also be able to see it when they enter the driveway. It also would have been a nice gesture to the city by creating a very picturesque park, with the fountain as its showpiece. Maybe some of the guests might want to sit in the park and watch the cascading fountain, on a hot summer day? Rich people enjoy the outdoors, just like the rest of us and nothing is more appealing on a hot day than the sight, sound and feel of cool water flowing. OK, it's not a HUGE deal but I thought 5 star hotels were all about the little details. How could the Four Seasons screw up something that I think is more than a small detail?

Didn't the designers think about the customer's getting splashed, from the get go? I would think it's quite obvious. None of these very bright people (I'm making assumptions here lol) thought of that? If you are going for maximum impact and creating an impressive entry for the guests, you need that water flowing in abundance, for the full impact. Forget about bubbling water or even a light drip. Seriously, they need a rethink. That fountain needs to be moved to the park.

Send the hotel an email.

Fountain???? More like Fountaint!

Back