Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

I think the pixelated effect is superb! I think it would look odd if the "flowers" were more defined.

I don't think it would look odd. It would be beautiful, like this sidewalk mosaic from the Portuguese paving design blog I posted a couple of pages back. (I don't think it's specifically a Portuguese design idea; cities across Europe have these kinds of intricate stone sett paving designs.) Perhaps, though, greater 'sharpness' works better in purely pedestrian spaces, where these mosaics are typically used because pedestrians can best admire the detail. Vehicular spaces tend to get simpler stone or precast concrete paver designs.

It is, and thanks for those pictures. But that parking garage on the west side of Bay is brutal.

That parking garage detracts from the scenery in this space, but as far as above-ground parking garages go, TPA garages from the 1970s like this one are remarkably are well-mannered: they incorporate retail by the sidewalks and often have decent finishes on their exteriors rather than bare concrete.

20120910170717.jpg

There must have been a discount at the Awning Design store:

Shangri-La:
ypf1A.jpg

(Image by current in the Shangri-La thread Here )

Four Seasons:
AIaFn.jpg

(Image by Northern Magus here )

Until I can park my car like this, I am not buying a High-End Condo in Yorkville. I don't trust my Lambo to the likes of the riffraff trolling through Yorkville. (People like Caltrane!!! :p;) )

[video=youtube;BGBZSPuO7Jk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGBZSPuO7Jk[/video]

Perhaps, though, greater 'sharpness' works better in purely pedestrian spaces, where these mosaics are typically used because pedestrians can best admire the detail. Vehicular spaces tend to get simpler stone or precast concrete paver designs.

Be puzzled no more. The point of the large pixels surely has little to do with vehicles. It's done to celebrate the fact that this is a tall tower, and that from above the design will be perfectly legible. It is part of the playing-with-scale that's going on here, the campy Victorian fountain and the huge rose-petal-shrubbery that will be planted to the east. It's a similar design approach to that which was taken with Camouflage Park, another Claude Cormier design for Toronto intended to be enjoyed at pedestrian level and to be appreciated from above:

http://www.claudecormier.com/project/camouflage-park-commissioners-park

It's a pretty good joke. But once you get the joke, all you're left with is this kitschy parking lot that doesn't belong in its surroundings.

Back