Toronto Elektra Condos | 133.5m | 42s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

Heading to the future "Neon Museum" from what I have heard.
Bleh, the city is already sort of lacking in interesting non-architectural elements- considering the generous setback from the heritage facade, I think there would have been enough room to recontexturalize the sign and turn it into a work of art.

Today: the sign says it all

AECC40F1-891E-4898-8B81-64120E2EBD83.jpeg

I can almost guarantee that if you did some polling/ research among the public, folks would rather see the signage incorporated into the new building vs saving the building itself.

UT article, with also a closer up view of the existing building integration and podium along Dundas East:

1591739929858.png

Trust me people love to hate this building but the neon is really the beauty of it

And a lot of people understand the benefit of architectural layering. Others only appreciate new/shiny and aren't able to recognize potential. You see it all the time in those home Reno shows. A good chunk of people can't imagine what something could look like; only what it looks like right now.

This won't end up as gorgeous as Dineen Coffee on Yonge Street but it will still look great if the restoration is done properly.

Still says the DA is pending... I am still pretty noob at looking on the site, this development application is missing/pending on what condition exactly?

Still says the DA is pending... I am still pretty noob at looking on the site, this development application is missing/pending on what condition exactly?
It can take the City a year or two to see a development through the review process, and there be nothing out of the ordinary about it. This may still be pending for quite a while, you never know in advance…

Back