Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I like the large area of white. It certainly represents the aesthetics of Uniqlo and in an area that is overly busy visually, it stands out as calm and distinct.

The Uniqlo facade has not been built "exactly as in the rendering". The rendering shows a facade which is perpendicular to Yonge Street, and what has been built is at a 45° angle to it. I assume that was an early plan, mistakenly released now. Either the Uniqlo marketing people are geometry-challenged (more likely) of their render folk are truly clueless in this case.

Thank you. I thought I was going nuts trying to explain what I was seeing.

Behind the temporary wall in the Dundas atrium...

E17eFeR.jpg

The designer's have really made a mess of this renovation - just a touch of respect for the history of this place would have done wonders. But here we are with a weird dark tunnel out of the atrium to Nordstroms, and a weird off-kilter Uniqlo sign. Imagine if Uniqlo would have restored the original Eaton's glass cylinder - it would have been a spectacular display space.

I believe it was Prince Charles who said that Planners and architects did more damage to Britain than the Blitz. This is a Canadian example.

I believe it was Prince Charles who said that Planners and architects did more damage to Britain than the Blitz. This is a Canadian example.

Actually in this case the blame falls squarely on Cadillac Fairview - it is their property and they hired the architects over the years. It wasn't even like they chose the most avant garde and the architects failed to deliver.

AoD

Oh, and that giant Nordstrom shopping bag mentioned a while back: it's sitting on the advertising tower of the Atrium on Bay. And it's not really noticeable, interestingly.

Behind the temporary wall in the Dundas atrium...

E17eFeR.jpg

That settles it. Nordstrom isn't taking the corner space. There are indeed 3 new stores in the atrium, one of them unannounced. According to the signage, Uniqlo will be in the "Dundas atrium" so another store will be facing Yonge Dundas Square. It's surprising that nothing has been announced this close to opening day.

The Uniqlo facade has not been built "exactly as in the rendering". The rendering shows a facade which is perpendicular to Yonge Street, and what has been built is at a 45° angle to it. I assume that was an early plan, mistakenly released now. Either the Uniqlo marketing people are geometry-challenged (more likely) of their render folk are truly clueless in this case.

I can understand how you can see that but the rendering clearly shows an angled wall. In the rendering, the white wall runs parallel to the Eaton Centre's angled beige tile wall. It also runs parallel to the glass atrium which is also angled. Both sides of the white wall hit the points that they do in real world building so the angle of the wall hasn't changed in the render. It would be easier to tell if the cars weren't blocking so much of the sidewalk but if you look closely, the wood building is open to the corner.

20160824_C7594_PHOTO_EN_758440.jpg

So yes, the render is pretty much bang on with what is being built. What we can't yet see is if the wood store is part of Uniqlo or a placeholder for whatever unannounced store is going there.

I've never seen Uniqlo use wood. Unless the render is inaccurate I'd say it's some other retailer.

Back