Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Quick update on the Nordstrom interior frontage:
It bugs me a little that the signage/entrance is off-center.

29032431600_4e9a8a8506_c.jpg

The Eaton Centre tower continues to have sections added to it, confirming that it's going to be two vertical digital billboards rather than four separate screens as has shown up in the Uniqlo rendering.

uz7toPg.jpg

Each of these screens are going to be larger than the entire Atrium billboard tower. That's insane!

Each of these screens are going to be larger than the entire Atrium billboard tower. That's insane!

I think each is going to be about double the size! The bracing on the left looks to be about the size of the atrium screen now and it's only half done unless these aren't actually built all the way to the top of the tower.

I think each is going to be about double the size! The bracing on the left looks to be about the size of the atrium screen now and it's only half done unless these aren't actually built all the way to the top of the tower.

I meant the entire atrium media tower, billboards, screen and all. The city application says they're going to be 90ft tall.

Last edited:
It's too bad they didn't just join the two screens here and make it one massive 'curved' screen!

Agreed 100%

What is the plan the top section of these 2 media screens

I think (and hope) these screens will be built up to the top. "Two vertical screens" were the only thing submitted for build approval on this tower.

I think (and hope) these screens will be built up to the top. "Two vertical screens" were the only thing submitted for build approval on this tower.
They submitted the height. 90ft. Eyeballing, that's easily to the top of the structure.

I don't have the application in front of me, but I recall that it sounded like they were applying for a static billboard so we probably won't see any movie trailers on these screens. More like rotating "print" ads. There's some wiggle room though as static electronic ads do get around the limitations by changing only parts of each image which creates a sort of dynamic billboard. Not quite video but better than print.

When Metropolis (10 Dundas East) was being built, I recall many complaining about the B rated quality of the advertising. "Times Square is better!" "Where are all the screens?" "Moooooar lights!"

I commented then that as Yonge-Dundas Square developed, market forces would drive more and better creative billboards. Back then, there was only one screen on the square, Metropolis was the second. The Eaton Centre and The Olympic Spirit Centre (CityTV) soon joined and now we have 9 screens.

These Eaton Centre LED towers are the next generation of what I expect to be an arms race for eyeballs. YDS is the highest pedestrian traffic intersection in all of Canada. You can bet that all the major ad firms are busy ringing out ad dollars out of their clients to stand out and reach those millions of potential customers.

I can't wait to see what happens to the curved 10 Dundas East screen which was once the most outstanding video display and is now barely noticeable in the jungle of lights and bigger displays.

Here's the application for the video screens again:

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3944202

Proposal to replace the existing media tower signage with two illuminated LED screens displaying electronic moving copy.The two proposed screens, displayed in a V-shape and directed in a northeasterly and southeasterly direction, are to measure 13.72 metres horizontally by 27.43 metres vertically. The separation between the two screens is to be 1.10 metres. Already approved by Variance - see staff report, Toronto East York Community Council, August 19, 2003, 1 Dundas St. W. **Clear Channel Video Boards**

Speaking of signs, totally OT but what ever happened to the proposal to move the Sam the Record Man sign atop that building at Victoria and Dundas facing the square?

Are they planning to display it in the same way as previously seen in renders? I think it looks stupid. It's like stuffing your dead cat and putting it on the shelf for everyone to see.

Back