Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I can understand how you can see that but the rendering clearly shows an angled wall. In the rendering, the white wall runs parallel to the Eaton Centre's angled beige tile wall. It also runs parallel to the glass atrium which is also angled. Both sides of the white wall hit the points that they do in real world building so the angle of the wall hasn't changed in the render. It would be easier to tell if the cars weren't blocking so much of the sidewalk but if you look closely, the wood building is open to the corner.

20160824_C7594_PHOTO_EN_758440.jpg

So yes, the render is pretty much bang on with what is being built. What we can't yet see is if the wood store is part of Uniqlo or a placeholder for whatever unannounced store is going there.
Sorry, but the rendering shows a wall that is perpendicular to Yonge Street. Somehow you are not getting how perspective works in images.

Both the east wall (along Yonge) and the sign wall are shown at angles to the frame, ones which approximate in 2D what happening in the real 3D world. If the angle between the Yonge Street wall and the sign wall were being depicted at 45°, the sign wall would be flatter to the frame. You only have to go one page back to @kotsy's fine pics to see that. The big clue is that there's no big gap behind the white sign wall in real life. It's offset from the beige wall, but there's no chance to see a full window on the top floor. You can conclude from that, that the beige wall is also rendered incorrectly. The rendering is either of an old plan, or someone is entirely confused.

That settles it. Nordstrom isn't taking the corner space. There are indeed 3 new stores in the atrium, one of them unannounced. According to the signage, Uniqlo will be in the "Dundas atrium" so another store will be facing Yonge Dundas Square. It's surprising that nothing has been announced this close to opening day.
It's been settled for ages: for a year now there has been no question of Nordstrom occupying the corner space. Cadlliac Fairview's leasing diagrams have shown that as a separate space, at least as long ago as August of 2015 from when I have a pdf. It was that pdf that you were using to declare that the corner space was, for certain, Apple. I bought your argument then, but now I suspect it's not the case, and that it may be someone else… but never Nordstrom.

I saw someone on another site say that the corner space might be Nike, and if you look at existing Nike stores they do have a similar dark wood/black/red look as in that render. Something to keep the speculation going. :p

With Nordstrom opening, I think Torontonians are in for a real treat! My office is located close to both a Nordstrom and their better-priced Rack, and both make you feel welcomed and appreciated. During 2015, twice I tried to get something from The Bay, and twice The Bay's systems simply would not facilitate the sale (stories too long to get into), and their lost sales were ~CAD2000 and ~CAD400. I emailed The Bay both times with my experiences and suggestions for improvement. In the case of the first lost sale, I felt bad for the salesman who did an excellent job, but The Bay's back office systems simply could not facilitate the sale(!) I even told the salesman that I would use The Bay's online customer feedback facility to comment. I have never received a response, not even an acknowledgement. I've made many other purchases at The Bay both online and in-person, so I am generally favorable towards their offerings. But I have been disappointed by the way they manage customer feedback. You almost feel like you're taken for granted. I hope Nordstrom will incentivize The Bay to up their game.

I have seen the store, and let me tell you you guys are in for a real treat. This is Nordstrom's second largest location in Canada, and it is a flagship store (just like Vancouver). The floor space is expansive and some of the services that will be offered are unlike anything offered by Saks, The Bay, and Holts.

The interior makes the recently opened Saks on Queen Street look vastly inferior; but to be honest the Saks at Sherway is a step above the one on Queen Street.

Cosmetics, Women's Apparel, Specialty Stores, and Nordstrom's E-Bar will be located on the first floor. Men's Appareal, Sportswear, a Bar, and Kids Apparel will be located on the second floor. Additional specialty stores, the restaurant, and Sugarfina will be located on the third floor.

There is no online Canadian distribution planned for the near future, and any orders placed online will continue to be fulfilled through the U.S site. As for the future Rack stores, their prices will be lower than Saks Off 5th.

I saw someone on another site say that the corner space might be Nike, and if you look at existing Nike stores they do have a similar dark wood/black/red look as in that render. Something to keep the speculation going. :p

Unlikely since there is a Nike 2.0 store just inside the Nordstrom entrance.

I have seen the store, and let me tell you you guys are in for a real treat. This is Nordstrom's second largest location in Canada, and it is a flagship store (just like Vancouver). The floor space is expansive and some of the services that will be offered are unlike anything offered by Saks, The Bay, and Holts.

I don't relly get whats so impressive about it. Its a waste of space if you ask me still. It should be broken up into smaller stores like the lower floors were rather then some big american chain.

Cosmetics, Women's Apparel, Specialty Stores, and Nordstrom's E-Bar will be located on the first floor. Men's Appareal, Sportswear, a Bar, and Kids Apparel will be located on the second floor. Additional specialty stores, the restaurant, and Sugarfina will be located on the third floor.

ugh why can't they put menswear on the bottom floor of it I hat walking though the women's clothing section of a store just to get through it or to the men's floor. The bay did this too when they redesigned it to add the sacks fifth avenue too it made the whole floor that connected to the eaton centre women's stuff and you have to go up like five floors to get to it now the same with the one at Yorkdale the whole man floor is all the cosmetic carp.

The worst is having to go through cosmetics. Hate the over saturation of chemicals in the air. No excitement from me about Nordstrom. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thought this corner was bright before. Well this is really gonna amp things up!

No shit, eh! Each of these screens are going to be around twice the size of the screen above the atrium. I wonder if it will lead to brightness complaints from nearby residents.

Really excited to see these in action. I'm anxious to see if there are ads that utilize both screens at the same time.

DSC_4071-2.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4071-2.jpg
    DSC_4071-2.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 718
I don't relly get whats so impressive about it. Its a waste of space if you ask me still. It should be broken up into smaller stores like the lower floors were rather then some big american chain.

Personally, I kind of like the continuation of a department store in this space. And while I am sure that you are advocating for something much nicer, the dull, public-washroom inspired design and the uninspired leasing that CF did implement on the lower level makes me glad that these floors were not also subject to the same treatment.

ugh why can't they put menswear on the bottom floor of it I hat walking though the women's clothing section of a store just to get through it or to the men's floor. The bay did this too when they redesigned it to add the sacks fifth avenue too it made the whole floor that connected to the eaton centre women's stuff and you have to go up like five floors to get to it now the same with the one at Yorkdale the whole man floor is all the cosmetic carp.

Traditionally, menswear was always located in a department store or store in a location that did not require men to pass through womenswear (think of how Eaton's, the Bay, and even larger stores like Roots and Club Monaco used to be set up). It usually had either its own entrance(s), or was accessible from the main store entrance. This is apparently no longer the case. Personally, I'd rather have a great menswear section (like the 5th Floor at Hudson's Bay) than have it shoehorned near an entrance. But you might be the majority opinion. Who knows. Would be interesting to see if any of the retail publications have examined this issue.

I initially thought that when The Bay moved the menswear to the 5th floor that I would never go up there. I mean, all those escalators? No thanks! Against my better judgement I headed up, and for a couple years now it's been my favourite place to look for clothes in the whole city.

Personally, I kind of like the continuation of a department store in this space. And while I am sure that you are advocating for something much nicer, the dull, public-washroom inspired design and the uninspired leasing that CF did implement on the lower level makes me glad that these floors were not also subject to the same treatment.

Traditionally, menswear was always located in a department store or store in a location that did not require men to pass through womenswear (think of how Eaton's, the Bay, and even larger stores like Roots and Club Monaco used to be set up). It usually had either its own entrance(s), or was accessible from the main store entrance. This is apparently no longer the case. Personally, I'd rather have a great menswear section (like the 5th Floor at Hudson's Bay) than have it shoehorned near an entrance. But you might be the majority opinion. Who knows. Would be interesting to see if any of the retail publications have examined this issue.

Great points, as always.

Menswear's historical location was based, I think correctly on Men's shopping pre-dispostions. (we're talking stereotypes....but)

Men tend to prefer to get in/out of the store, their habits often involve less browsing, in part, because men tend to find a style/cut/brand we like and keep
buying it for as long as it's made.

I know this applies to me in respect of several types of clothes, say Jeans where I long ago determined what met the right mix of comfort/style for me.......and the only reason I buy it or don't is need or a deep sale price.

As such, menswear tends to be set up for efficient access and to showcase product that male shoppers often won't go out of their way to find.

Is your housecoat falling apart? If not, you're probably not going to go out of your way to find a new one...........but if you happen to be walking from point A to point B through the store and see a new housecoat you like, on sale...........you might walk out with it.

1st floor or through-basement placement is predicated on being able to grab the male shopper who isn't there to shop at all, but to get through to the other side.......on their way to the food court for lunch.

I think it makes a lot of sense, and I'll be interested to see how the shift in location impacts sales.

Back