Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Oh wow! Pretty cool. Does anyone know what's going to finally open in that NE corner before the atrium? I think once that opens, both sides will become more enlivened. Also once Shopper's Drug Mart opens up in the current Hard Rock Cafe space, there will be increased traffic from the expected increase in local residents as well as tourists.

The problem isn't the presence of absence of people - but how awful that Eaton Centre street level is.

AoD

The problem isn't the presence of absence of people - but how awful that Eaton Centre street level is.

AoD

I am very hopeful that in time it will improve. And actually, I didn't find Yonge + Dundas Streets "bad" at all; the corner was quite lively even during the dead of winter when I last visited. The real blight was when a homeless person somehow froze to death in a bus shelter, literally, in front of god knows how many passersby, including patrolling police. I recall being horrified by learning that during my reading of the online Toronto Star.

But coming back to the physical condition of the NE corner, it is presently a work-in-progress so I am looking forward to the big reveal. I recall during a previous visit seeing a sign declaring that another "Canadian retailer" or "Canadian retail experience" will be opening there soon. Curious tourists are awaiting! :)

Oh wow! Pretty cool. Does anyone know what's going to finally open in that NE corner before the atrium? I think once that opens, both sides will become more enlivened. Also once Shopper's Drug Mart opens up in the current Hard Rock Cafe space, there will be increased traffic from the expected increase in local residents as well as tourists.
Since when do drug stores increase pedestrian traffic? A new Rexall opened at Yonge/Gerrard and I don't see any difference at all. The store is empty every time I walk by. I don't see drug stores being a draw at all. The one at Church/Front is also empty almost all the time and does nothing to animate Front Street.

Since when do drug stores increase pedestrian traffic? A new Rexall opened at Yonge/Gerrard and I don't see any difference at all. The store is empty every time I walk by. I don't see drug stores being a draw at all. The one at Church/Front is also empty almost all the time and does nothing to animate Front Street.

Shopper's Drug Mart is much more than just another drug store chain; I wished American drug store chains would take notes and learn from SDM. SDM is more of a life-style store with an impressive cosmetic/fragrance department, food and novelty items, and of course your traditional pharmacy. The Canada Post is also a nice service. I am always impressed by my visits to an SDM. At the southern end of Times Square is a Walgreens which is a nice urban drug store, but it does not compare to SDM.

Shopper's Drug Mart is much more than just another drug store chain; I wished American drug store chains would take notes and learn from SDM. SDM is more of a life-style store with an impressive cosmetic/fragrance department, food and novelty items, and of course your traditional pharmacy. The Canada Post is also a nice service. I am always impressed by my visits to an SDM. At the southern end of Times Square is a Walgreens which is a nice urban drug store, but it does not compare to SDM.
CVS and Walgreens both sell plush Nintendo toys. It's an improvement, but they both have a long way to go from SDM.

Work has started at the south end to rebuild the entrance and the bridge…

IMG_1506.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 417
Work has started at the south end to rebuild the entrance and the bridge…

View attachment 102958

Which I don't think many poel seem to know about. I think shiot will hit the fan just as much if not more then when they had some person come and lip sync christmas songs for the opening of the "christmas windows" last year, once poel find out about why that part of Queen is going to be closed.

I agree with @Light. More people care about shoppers than Hard Rock Cafe. And more people will come and go from it. It will definitely have much more in and out pedestrian traffic flow.

I have to agree. During the past 8 years, I entered the hard rock cafe exactly once. The shoppers on the lower level of Eaton Centre? Probably once a week.
Hope this Shoppers will sell more products than it normally does.

What about the one at Yonge/Carlton? It is very busy most of the time, often with queues at the check out. While I agree a chain drugstore is not most idea, let's not pretend Hard Rock Cafe did anything. It is pretty much as boring as a drugstore.

Last edited:
Shoppers takes its cues more from UK drugstores (or "chemists") like Boots and Super Drug. I just wish they had decent sandwiches too.

Looks like it's going to be awhile waiting for a store to open across from Uniqlo. I took a peak through the door knob hole on the weekend and saw nothing but bare concrete so I'm guessing is that it hasn't even been leased yet. Kind of frustrating since it takes up so much visual space in the atrium and when seen from Dundas Square.

Back