Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

For a brand that is famous for its screens and for an intersection that celebrates flash and excess, the store is certainly understated (not that there is anything wrong with that). I guess they figure that the huge Samsung electronic sign on the north west corner, does the job sufficiently such that the store does not have to be surrounded with advertising billboards.

The store that was rumoured to be the flagship Apple Store will become their biggest competitor's store instead. I don't know if this is either ironic or telling about Samsung's often expressed desire to become Apple.

Apple did miss the boat here. This is a fantastic location. Angela Ahrendts is asleep at the wheel. Apple's current situation in Canada's largest market is embarrassing. Unless they leave the mall entirely and move to Forever XXI (under the Samsung sign no less), I can't think of a better location for Apple to go to now. Maybe Queen and Yonge? Nice, but not as visible.

How appropriate that the Samsung store will be self contained separated from Nordstrom to the south by a fire exit hall... Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

4BnIhIZ.jpg

Last edited:
The store that was rumoured to be the flagship Apple Store will become their biggest competitor's store instead. I don't know if this is either ironic or telling about Samsung's often expressed desire to become Apple.

Apple did miss the boat here. This is a fantastic location. Angela Ahrendts is asleep at the wheel. Apple's current situation in Canada's largest market is embarrassing. Unless they leave the mall entirely and move to Forever XXI (under the Samsung sign no less), I can't think of a better location for Apple to go to now. Maybe Queen and Yonge? Nice, but not as visible.

This is a big win from Samsung as far as strategic location and brand exposure is concerned. As a company new to retail in Canada and looking to enter the market, this is precisely the type of store they need. I'm very much looking forward to it.

And I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to Apple. My biggest take away from this missed opportunity is Apple having something even better in mind for a future flagship elsewhere. I think 2 Queen post-restoration would be perfect.

"Hopefully CF's insurance covers spontaneous combustion."

From exploding iPhones? Hoverboards? other children's toys?

" I don't know if this is either ironic or telling about Samsung's often expressed desire to become Apple."

Most of the components in apple products are made by Samsung

Most of the components in apple products are made by Samsung

Getting way off topic here, but that's completely untrue. Some products have Samsung parts, but its nowhere remotely close to most. In the iPhone 7, for example, the only Samsung component is the RAM.

Back