Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

I think here's an opportunity to transform an otherwise mundane entrance into a statement that fires up citizens' imaginations. What if the best brains in Canadian architecture and art are commissioned to transform this entrance into a conversation piece that promotes Canada's progressive values and instill a healthy amount of civic pride?

The city had the opportunity to do exactly that when they rebuilt the SE entrance, but the end result is nothing special. It's an improvement from the original one, but that's about it.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 1.30.37 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 1.30.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 1.30.37 PM.png
    786.5 KB · Views: 274
I prefer the current boring ttc entrance at college and university over the above posted image that looks like a gas station.

I'm pro sky bridge, they are fun. I use the one in question often.

The renderings of Eglinton Crosstown station entrances show minimalist glass and concrete structures that will probably resemble the new Queen's Park subway station entrance at College and University. However, they'll also have some minimalist landscaping.

it looks like something out of the jetsons

Actually, I think if they had just removed the current glass and aluminum(?) skin and installed state-of-the-art new glass, new skin and lighting, the old bridge would do just fine.

My concern with these fancy new shapes etc is that the engineers might not predict all the possible failure points/scenarios. I am reminded of Paris' airport with its cool tubular design, but one section had a significant fatal flaw (2 escalators that "punctured" the tubular form) which eventually caused a catastrophic failure that killed passengers and became a black-eye in French engineering.
Considering that 6k people use this bridge daily with street car cable below and the rumblings of the Yonge line and traffic, there are many sources of stress pulling on this bridge. An asymmetrical serpentine structure that connects diagonally must certainly introduce all kinds of engineering challenges. I hope the engineers have simulated as many scenarios as the human mind can dream up to ensure the new fantastically-designed bridge will truly be safe.

Last edited:
Actually, I think if they had just removed the current glass and aluminum(?) skin and install state-of-the-art new glass, new skin and lighting, the old bridge would do just fine.

My concern with these fancy new shapes etc is that the engineers might not predict all the possible failure points/scenarios. I am reminded of Paris' airport with its cool tubular design, but one section had a significant fatal flaw (2 escalators that "punctured" the tubular form) which eventually caused a catastrophic failure that killed passengers and became a black-eye in French engineering.
Considering that 6k people use this bridge daily with street car cable below and the rumblings of the Yonge line and traffic, there are many sources of stress pulling on this bridge. An asymmetrical serpentine structure that connects diagonally must certainly introduce all kinds of engineering challenges. I hope the engineers have simulated as many scenarios as the human mind can dream up to ensure the new fantastically-designed bridge will truly be safe.
I actually worry about the entrance to the bay / sacks becoming a choke point as it's not increasing in size well the one for the eaton centre is increasing significantly

I actually worry about the entrance to the bay / sacks becoming a choke point as it's not increasing in size well the one for the eaton centre is increasing significantly

I wonder if that was deemed okay b/c traffic is greater EC-bound than the other way? The report to the City only cited a daily usage count of ~6k; I don't recall reading whether it included a relative proportion of the directions. But you're right, I can't think of any bridge that I've crossed where the ends were not identically sized. I'd think (hope) some hard questions re public safety had been asked by the responsible authorities.

Actually, I think if they had just removed the current glass and aluminum(?) skin and installed state-of-the-art new glass, new skin and lighting, the old bridge would do just fine.

Are you an engineer perchance?

The engineers in this city aren't chumps, nor are they in London. I'm not worried about the new bridge even slightly.

Yesterday. Picture doesn't show it clearly but amazing how much busier the sidewalks were on the east side of Yonge rather than next to the Eaton Centre. Eaton Centre sure looks ugly in this picture.

IMG_4155.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4155.JPG
    IMG_4155.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 377
Yesterday. Picture doesn't show it clearly but amazing how much busier the sidewalks were on the east side of Yonge rather than next to the Eaton Centre. Eaton Centre sure looks ugly in this picture.

View attachment 102404

Oh wow! Pretty cool. Does anyone know what's going to finally open in that NE corner before the atrium? I think once that opens, both sides will become more enlivened. Also once Shopper's Drug Mart opens up in the current Hard Rock Cafe space, there will be increased traffic from the expected increase in local residents as well as tourists.

Back