Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Why do ppl get upset about losing office space yet with the redevelopment of so much industrial/manufacturing lands--through trendy loft conversions, wholesale redevelopment like LV--no one gives a ?

Probably because most light industrial lands in Toronto lost their economic justification long before residential redevelopment. If there was still a thriving industry of lightbulb manufacturing or whatever there probably would be much more hesitance in converting land use. As it is though most of these sites' original occupants went bankrupt or decamped for overseas long before redevelopment. The choice was more between conversions to lofts, conversion to parking lots and just leaving them abandoned.

In Toronto, subway accessible office space is very much in demand.

I say build 'em and modern office towers will go where market demands--just how manufacturing space has moved to Hamilton, Woodstock, Brampton etc.

There is noooooo way this project is economically feasible. Office vacancy rates are near historic lows while condos are, if not oversupplied, hardly in short supply. In such a hot market for office space it can't possibly make sense to demolish a perfectly functional and large office building with >1000$/sf premium condos, especially with so many similar buildings just finished or under construction.

This very much seems like a case of 'if it's not broke...'

For those who say office space will be made up elsewhere, that's not a good reason at all, what makes Yonge and Bloor successful is the mixture of commercial and residential, the same can be said about Yonge and Eglinton (or St. Clair), the first of these has slowly been losing office space to new development over the years as well.

I'd argue the current "success" of Yonge & Bloor. The area is now pretty much a dead zone after 8 or 9pm save for the strip joint and the theatre further down, for the few months a year that it actually operates. Yonge & Bloor's days of being a truly vibrant, mixed use area by day and night are long gone.

It's a bustling area by day, much moreso than something like King/Bay in my opinion, but is that a major knock against the intersection if it gets quieter at night? I agree Yonge and Bloor is no longer nearly as interesting as it once was, but I also think replacing the office tower with condos will make the area *less* vibrant, not more.

More entertainment options might enliven it, but I'm not sure what would really work. I don't think the market is there for another cinema (look at how many have closed around there), but with the affluence and hotels nearby I could see a nightclub or two doing well. In fairness I found Michigan Avenue to be pretty dull after-hours as well, so maybe it's just the nature of that sort of district.

From the May 22 TEY COFA:

36. 2 BLOOR ST W
File Number: B0074/12TEY
Zoning
CR T7.8 C4.5 R7.8; By-law 787-2012
(WAIVER)
Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (27)
Property Address: 2 BLOOR ST W Community: Toronto Legal Description: YORK CON 2 FTB PT LOT 21 PLAN 69 PT LOT 1 AND 6 FT STRIP PLAN 158 PT LOTS 1 TO 8 PLAN 419 PT 1 FT RESERVE RP 66R24268 PARTS 2 TO 9 12

THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
To obtain consent to sever the property into two lots.
Conveyed -Parts 1, 2, 28 & 42 on Reference Plan 66R -24268 Address to be assigned
The lot frontage is 39.64 m and the lot area is 1,771.42 m². The existing 34-storey commercial office building will be maintained.

Conveyed -Parts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 19, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 & 44 on Reference Plan 66R -24268 Address to be assigned
The lot frontage is 24.68 m and the lot area is 9,993.56 m². The lot is comprised of a two-storey commercial building and will be re-developed at a future date in accordance with By-law 787-2010.

Existing easements will be maintained.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_22may13pm.pdf (p. 41)

AoD

The office tower isn't going anywhere. I was unable to find the occupancy rate for 2 Bloor West, but Oxford's office portfolio occupancy rate as a whole is 93 percent for 2012. I can't see how it would make economic or political sense to demolish it as Oxford would lose a steady income stream and would be directly contrary to the city's strong desire to retention employment uses, creating a lot of ill will. On a side note, Pinnacle Development also went through the land severance process at the Committee of Adjustments and the OMB for 1 Yonge St. before submitting plans for their mega development.

The old development proposal for Cumberland Terrance consisted of two residential towers at 48 and 36 storeys while maintaining the 2 Bloor West office tower. Oxford received planning permission from the city back in 2010 to construct the new towers. A lot has changed since then with Morguard's proposal for 83 storeys at 50 Bloor and Minto's proposal for the Cumberland street parking garage for 69 and 55 storeys.

I'd argue the current "success" of Yonge & Bloor. The area is now pretty much a dead zone after 8 or 9pm save for the strip joint and the theatre further down, for the few months a year that it actually operates. Yonge & Bloor's days of being a truly vibrant, mixed use area by day and night are long gone.

Dead zone during the night has nothing to do with the amount of office or residential space I'll argue, rather the lack of entertainment venues / restaurants (if you think about it on Bloor there are so few).

That can easily be changed and is not at all related to the commercial elements of the area. Rather the office space is what keeps the area bustling during the weekdays. Without out it would be much more dead 9-5 5 days a week.

More entertainment options might enliven it, but I'm not sure what would really work. I don't think the market is there for another cinema (look at how many have closed around there), but with the affluence and hotels nearby I could see a nightclub or two doing well. In fairness I found Michigan Avenue to be pretty dull after-hours as well, so maybe it's just the nature of that sort of district.

That's exactly the problem here whatever. The nightclubs & pubs are gone (all but one or two), the late-night record (CD) & bookshops are gone, no pinball joints or peepshows, the cinemas are gone and with the cinemas went the late night eateries. The Varsity does well but it mostly serves an older crowd who gets in their car, subway or walks home after seeing a film, they generally don't grab a drink or coffee afterward at night. Btw, the Plaza & Uptown closed because they couldn't be made wheelchair accessible, as mandated by the Ontario Human Rights Commission. Putting a cinema complex into 1 Bloor was an idea that died early into the development of that project because they couldn't negotiate a reasonable lease, which is really unfortunate for this area.

from the UT article
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/news/201...e-sky-high-2-bloor-west-redevelopment-concept

"The architectsAlliance renderings of 2 Bloor West are from before the plan for the pedestrian mews coalesced, and before the property owners started cooperating en masse. Jeff Hess, Senior Vice President for Development at Oxford Properties told me that they represented at one point one of several possible programmes for the site—a concept—but that what will eventually be built will in all likelihood be quite different from what is seen here."

from the UT article
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/news/201...e-sky-high-2-bloor-west-redevelopment-concept

"The architectsAlliance renderings of 2 Bloor West are from before the plan for the pedestrian mews coalesced, and before the property owners started cooperating en masse. Jeff Hess, Senior Vice President for Development at Oxford Properties told me that they represented at one point one of several possible programmes for the site—a concept—but that what will eventually be built will in all likelihood be quite different from what is seen here."

You should ask on what their stance with the office tower is.

You know what though given the fact that city report wasn't that old, this proposal is probably the really old plan.

So here's a question, how much money do developers waste paying companies to come up with site plans / renderings that never come to be ? : )

Taal, Oxford was not willing to comment on their plans for the site other than to confirm that the images shown were strictly a blue-sky exercise, one of several Oxford had made.

In terms of wasting money… if you have an important site, and you want to get the redevelopment right, you're going to consider many options. Do you consider it a waste then to prepare more than one plan? I'm afraid that the one plan approach has likely produced many of the poorer projects in this city when the developers should have invited more input.

Last edited:
Point well taken, with a larger site like this I imagine its unavoidable as well.

Not really sure where to post this, but the CIBC logo atop of Two Bloor West has been dark for around two weeks now. As of yesterday, the CIBC sign has been taken down.

BSrgwduCcAAkkr5.jpg

Back