Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Losing that much office space + a pretty unremarkable (for aA) slab design. I'd want this site to be mixed-use office + residential, plus an incredible podium design that can break up the monotomy that plagues Cumberland street at the moment.

A few thoughts:

1) This site has been through more incarnations....err reincarnations in terms of development proposals over the last decade or so than just about any site I can recall.
They (the owners) invariably miss their opportunity in every development cycle with endless vacillation and re-thinks. We are on course for history to repeat itself.

Sigh, just when I thought we had a real shot at getting rid of that anti-urban monstrosity that is the Cumberland Terrace.

2) Under no circumstances should a proposal drastically reducing office space in this area go forward. Its not clear that that is what is proposed; the application to sever suggests one thing, the renders another...........

3) The Bloor St. podium as proposed seems a step backwards and rather reminds me of the Convention Centre, albeit with a somewhat different design and colour palate.
It has that feeling of sterility and blank-ness which we seek to correct elsewhere. Everyone knows renders can be misleading, but usually they are superior to the final product,
here it would be essential that the final product over delivers.

aA, for all their strengths, has given us many weak street-level experiences. A block this large is worrisome to me in that regard.

The towers themselves look intriguing though.

Why do ppl get upset about losing office space yet with the redevelopment of so much industrial/manufacturing lands--through trendy loft conversions, wholesale redevelopment like LV--no one gives a ?

I say build 'em and modern office towers will go where market demands--just how manufacturing space has moved to Hamilton, Woodstock, Brampton etc.

I too am not a fan of losing the office space (and I hope this is not the case). As well, the podium looks like an airport and seems inappropriate for the area. That being said, the towers appear to be great designs.

Love the design of this vision. The bold cross bracing coupled with the layered balcony arrangements flow into a sublime combination of textures.

Though all Cumberland Terrace proposals come with the same warning tags. Hopefully this time around they're serious with this development and get this finally built.

BTW, webpage is back. Otherwise I have the large images saved.

I too am not a fan of losing the office space (and I hope this is not the case).

Id say no love-loss on this outdated 40 year old office building, Oxford most likely will more than make up for it on Front street
Now if we could only get rid of the other eyesore across the street (2 Bloor east)

Looks fantastic - but then so did many of the previous proposals for this property.

What is this, proposals #4 or 5?

Is there any reason to believe this is the last iteration?

I know it's just a render, but I'm not as excited about this as everyone else seems to be. I'd really like to see a midblock connection between Cumberland and Bloor, or at the very least a more articulated podium design. It would also be a real shame if we lost such a significant office tower at this location. A sustainable core needs to have mixed uses spread throughout, and we shouldn't be so quick to discard viable office space just because a developer wants to throw up a gigantic condo tower.

What's most obvious to me is that these "renders" are early stage renders. So the cold sterile feel is expected.
I really like the design so far, and can't wait to see what happens.
I would not want to lose office space though. I am happy if the current building is torn down and replaced with new office space in the new building.

Why do ppl get upset about losing office space yet with the redevelopment of so much industrial/manufacturing lands--through trendy loft conversions, wholesale redevelopment like LV--no one gives a ?

I say build 'em and modern office towers will go where market demands--just how manufacturing space has moved to Hamilton, Woodstock, Brampton etc.

It really doesn't take a genius to figure it out ... office space employees magnitudes more people per square foot then typical industrial / manufacturing properties, not to mention a lot of the jobs tend to be higher paying.

For those who say office space will be made up elsewhere, that's not a good reason at all, what makes Yonge and Bloor successful is the mixture of commercial and residential, the same can be said about Yonge and Eglinton (or St. Clair), the first of these has slowly been losing office space to new development over the years as well.

taal:

Not just that - but there is value in maximizing the use of highly accessible sites like Y+B by land uses that requires it. Housing, as important as it is in ensuring vitality of a given area isn't the most dependent on access.

AoD

Back