Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

As a commenter noted: what's the point of holding an international competition and going with a local firm? lol how ridiculous. Way too many aA buildings near Yonge and Bloor.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the statement that there might be too many aA buildings in the neighbourhood, it is false to suggest that there is no point to having an international competition when a local firm ended up getting the job - case in point : Oslo Opera House by Snohetta.

AoD

Red October:

Well, I didn't say anything about the quality of the submissions (unknown) or how the client evaluates the scheme (unknown).

AoD

Someone on this site once commented that Cumberland Terrace always misses the cycle. Lots of talk, lots of rendering nothing more.
But in fairness I do like the idea of integrating the various project on this block, its a complex task.

Actually the enhanced rendering look damn good!

Someone on this site once commented that Cumberland Terrace always misses the cycle. Lots of talk, lots of rendering nothing more.
But in fairness I do like the idea of integrating the various project on this block, its a complex task.

Actually the enhanced rendering look damn good!

I'm confused with this project because truthfully there has never been a proposal for such heights,
.. also what's up nearby, with 50 Bloor St., 83s (application submitted to the city March 2012),
and 27 Yorkville 69s+55s-Yorkville Parking Garage (application submitted to the city June 2012), both low-key with very little information and no progress??
seems like they are both wrapped up in some kind of city red tape:confused:

Agreed. Despite being keenly interested in this block I'm confused about what is what. Sometimes it seems like the same project is confused as two projects. It might make sense to treat the entire Bay, Yonge, Bloor, Yorkville 2 blocks as a single project because from the perspective of most of us it will appear that way. I wouldn't be surprised if the city planning dept is basically considering it that way.

Is anyone able to list the proposed towers within this 2 blocks? There's Oxford, 50 Bloor W, 80 Bloor West, Yorkville garage, 1 Yorkville maybe more.

Last edited:
Yeah, these are the most exciting projects to me and yet nothing seems to happen with them. Being an urban development/tall building enthusiast requires Herculean patience.

I don't get the comment ... in 'everywhere' ... just about, actually if anything in Toronto we can be thankful for the pace of construction, due to the vast amount of projects.

Large projects like this take forever to get off the ground in any 1st world country ......

Back