News   Jul 19, 2024
 770     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is this line a bus line? VIVA Bus Rapid Transit Line in York Region has heated shelters. Don't see why these can't.

Viva BRT runs on a 15 or 20 minute headway most of the day. If the Crosstown runs on the same headway then absolutely it needs heated stops.

Viva BRT runs on a 15 or 20 minute headway most of the day. If the Crosstown runs on the same headway then absolutely it needs heated stops.

So if the future the frequency is increased to every 10 munites or 7.5 minutes, should the heater shelters be removed?

Still, something with more than 1 wall would be nice. Wind and rain don't always come from the same direction.
These shelters are indeed very minimal. The shelter for the Dundas streetcar near me has glass on all sides at least. A heating function on demand would be a great addition.

So if the future the frequency is increased to every 10 munites or 7.5 minutes, should the heater shelters be removed?

That wouldn't be very cost effective. If they broke down or needed to be replaced they might not be kept.

Decisons like this are largely economic. If heaters are expected to get enough bums-on-seats to make it a net profit they will be included in the design. If heaters are not expected to bring many additional customers in they won't be included.

The Chicago El has heaters, or at least it did when I lived there up to 2002. It got bitterly cold on the raised platforms, even with shelter walls.

The Chicago El has heaters, or at least it did when I lived there up to 2002. It got bitterly cold on the raised platforms, even with shelter walls.
Ottawa has button-activated heaters, but they're only useful at the fully enclosed waiting rooms. The one stop that has a heated shelter with no doors is useless.

Where was all the concern about heated platforms during the appropriate time - the EA and all the Transit PICs? If the community had pushed for this then, it would have been easy. Now it's nigh impossible the specs were written ages ago.

Where was all the concern about heated platforms during the appropriate time - the EA and all the Transit PICs? If the community had pushed for this then, it would have been easy. Now it's nigh impossible the specs were written ages ago.
Looks like huddling up together would be the only way to have heated platforms.

Ottawa has button-activated heaters, but they're only useful at the fully enclosed waiting rooms. The one stop that has a heated shelter with no doors is useless.

If I remember correctly, some go stations have heaters activated by a push of a button also.

Back