News   Jul 19, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Finch's construction start date is 2017 so that's a full year before the next municipal or provincial elections

2017 and early 2018 seems to be the magic start date for a lot of transit projects in Ontario. Just off the top of my head: Hurontario LRT, Hamilton B-Line LRT, Finch West LRT, Ottawa Confederation Line Phase II, GO RER (I believe). The mantra is clearly: "Get as many shovels in the ground as possible before someone else can come in and scrap everything."

Projects that have funding from multiple levels of government (ex: Confederation Line Phase II) seem like a safer bet than projects that depend entirely on Provincial funding.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some movement on Eglinton West before the next election as well.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learnt from the Brampton segment of the HMLRT and Sheppard afterall.

AoD

Unlike Brampton, T.O Council voted in favour of the LRT on Sheppard, and yet the province has no intention to build it anytime soon thanks to the Liberal MPs from Scarborough who want a Sheppard subway. Facts be damned. Respect for council's decision be damned.

Unlike Brampton, T.O Council voted in favour of the LRT on Sheppard, and yet the province has no intention to build it anytime soon thanks to the Liberal MPs from Scarborough who want a Sheppard subway. Facts be damned. Respect for council's decision be damned.

Well, they messed around so much with it that none are saints. No matter, nothing gets built - which is exactly what they deserved.

AoD

Another west TBM update!

tbmscreencap.JPG

Attachments

• tbmscreencap.JPG
    tbmscreencap.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 542
Doesn't look bad. Only thing is I hope they can have some heated areas for the above ground stops knowing how cold this city becomes. If they don't its a huge misstep.

Doesn't look bad. Only thing is I hope they can have some heated areas for the above ground stops knowing how cold this city becomes. If they don't its a huge misstep.
What do you mean by "heated area". You can see in the video that all that's there is a back wall and a roof, with no side walls.

It wouldn't seem that hard given the cost of these platforms...I read something that the aboveground stops will cost $3-5 million each.
Chicago has a nice system where a heater turns on when you push a button. That could help a lot here.
461133246-woman-tries-to-stay-warm-as-she-waits-for-a-gettyimages.jpg

Wonder why Metrolinx would put them on the VIVA Lines but not on their signature LRT lines. These look like glorified bus stops.

Back