News   Jul 19, 2024
 419     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 685     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The usual complaints about construction of ANY kind. See link from CITY-TV with a video on how the Eglinton crosstown construction keeping residents awake at night.

Noise and vibrations from tunnelling are driving residents batty.

The tunneling will pass them by in a few days, then they can continue with other new complaints.

good thing were building underground where there are no disruptions to traffic and businesses stay in business! I live in the area and that lady I guess is technically my neighbour. It is a challenge to love ones NIMBY as oneself.

The Crosstown web site talks about noise and vibration as something transitory with an eventual end in sight. I wonder how much vibration the actual operations will bring. I would expect that residents closest to the tunnels will hear and feel some vibration as trains pass.....that's a new reality, and it's the price of getting the line at your doorstep, just as it was on Bloor after 1966.

- Paul

The Crosstown reaction, from this link:

November 5, 2015

As you know, tunnelling continues on the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) project as we build the underground portion of the future transit line.

The tunnel boring machines (TBMs) operate around the clock - 24 hours a day, seven days week. On average, they each travel about 10 metres per day. Our TBMs are working about 20 metres below ground, but we do sometimes hear from nearby residents who may experience vibration from the TBMs as they pass through the area.

In most cases, detectable levels of vibration are possible depending on where the TBMs are working at any given time. For example, as the TBMs drive through various soil conditions, vibration could be more discernable. Also, in the evenings and overnight hours when street level traffic is reduced, the TBM activity may be more easily recognized.

As the TBMs progress, any vibration that may be experienced will be short-lived, and will subside as the machines advance along their paths.

Status

Currently, two TBMs are driving east from Allen Road, and two more are moving west from Laird Avenue. You can track the four TBMs – Dennis and Lea, Don and Humber.

Metrolinx works closely with the City of Toronto, as well as local elected officials to monitor any situation of concern or disruptions that are connected to the Crosstown’s construction. We know that during construction residents will be inconvenienced, and we work hard to keep people informed. We thank you for your patience as we deliver this important transit expansion project.

Did you know? Each tunnel boring machine weights about 400 tonnes.

For more tunnelling and TBM facts, check out our fact sheets.

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-med...-what-you-may-experience#sthash.KKeOkKno.dpuf

Doesn't look bad. Only thing is I hope they can have some heated areas for the above ground stops knowing how cold this city becomes. If they don't its a huge misstep.

That depends on the frequency. If LRT's only come every 30 minutes then heated areas are important. If the LRT's are coming every five minutes they aren't really necessary.

That depends on the frequency. If LRT's only come every 30 minutes then heated areas are important. If the LRT's are coming every five minutes they aren't really necessary.

Still, something with more than 1 wall would be nice. Wind and rain don't always come from the same direction.

They can't even keep their naming conventions consistent. If Yonge & Eglinton is "Eglinton" because it's an existing subway station then why isn't Allen and Eglinton "Eglinton West"? If anything Yonge & Eglinton should be "Yonge". Either you use the existing subway station name or you use the cross street name, but not one of each.

Yeah good point. The whole line is EGLINTON! Not just where it crosses Yonge.

Also, not sure if the video is any indication of signage and fonts to actually be used, but it looks like Eglinton will be using Clearview as the font throughout the line. Makes total sense, as it's the most legible font from a distance (I've started using it on all my maps). The iconic TTC font may be on the way out though, by the looks of it.

Doesn't look bad. Only thing is I hope they can have some heated areas for the above ground stops knowing how cold this city becomes. If they don't its a huge misstep.
Do present day bus stop shelters have heat?

Also, not sure if the video is any indication of signage and fonts to actually be used, but it looks like Eglinton will be using Clearview as the font throughout the line. Makes total sense, as it's the most legible font from a distance (I've started using it on all my maps). The iconic TTC font may be on the way out though, by the looks of it.

interesting observation, hadn't noticed that. I personally hope they don't start replacing the TTC font. I got ahold of a copy of the TTC's typeface recently (and have learned it's based off Futura, a font I've always liked), and am beginning to appreciate it more than I had in the past. Though I guess Mlinx is quite adamant on making it known that this is their line. They haven't swayed so far on the pale green colour of the trains, which I've always thought was an odd choice.

Try standing outside for 5 minutes in the bitter cold and tell me they aren't necessarily.

Back