News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Well the vehicles are standard gauge, so probably lots of Metrolinx track they could be stored on... but yea, it's not really ideal before a MSF is built.

When Crosstown was announced as part of Transit City in 2007, do you recall what the projected completion date was?

I recall a target of 2020. Of course, that was before an EA or even funding was available. That it's only slipped schedule by ~20% from an optimistic back-of-the-napkin target is kinda amazing.

Last edited:
Well the vehicles are standard gauge, so probably lots of Metrolinx track they could be stored on... but yea, it's not really ideal before a MSF is built.

Except that they don't. Willowbrook is operating well past its maximum capacity, and while the imminent opening of the ERMF will help this, it's only going to be short-term as Bombardier completes its current commitments for GO cars. (And then there's the 16 locos that should start to arrive early next year.) There's certainly no room at the existing outposting facilities, unless they want to build extra track for the sole purpose of storing LRVs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Ok plan B, couple all the units together as one long train, and continually pull them around with a MP40. You can then use them as extra service for early GO RER (I call it LRERT). I see no reason why that's not 100% technically feasible... :cool:

When Crosstown was announced as part of Transit City in 2007, do you recall what the projected completion date was?

I recall a target of 2020. Of course, that was before an EA or even funding was available. That it's only slipped schedule by ~20% from an optimistic back-of-the-napkin target is kinda amazing.

The original Eglinton Crosstown LRT plan was intended to stretch from Pearson Airport to Kennedy Station. The part between Pearson and Mt Dennis was supposed to be open around this time, if my memory serves me correctly. This part of the line was pushed to Phase 2, and won't be completed until the mid-2020s at the earliest. So we didn't meet the optimistic back-of-the-napkin target.

Also, what remained of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT was delayed by a year due to inter-agency politics between Metrolinx and the TTC. The TTC was originally supposed to construct the line, but at the 11th hour, Metrolinx decided that they wanted to construct the Crosstown using the Infrastructure Ontario model. This would require duplicating a lot of the TTC's work tendering the project. Metrolinx was insistent that they could re-tender the line, without delaying the project, but a year after the management switch occurred, Metrolinx announced (unsurprisingly) that they'd have to delay the delivery of the Crosstown LRT by a year.

The decision to use the IO model really should have been made much further in advance, such that it wouldn't delay the delivery of the project.

I'm assuming that since Kennedy and Eglinton Stations already have washroom facilities, they would also have washroom access for the Crosstown LRT.

However, about the Mt. Dennis Station, would that station have washroom facilities, since it would be a "terminal" station or transit hub?

Shouldn't the Cedarvale Station have washroom facilities, since it is an interchange station, like Yonge-Bloor?

Else, leave the portable potties behind so passengers can make use of them.

What makes you think Bombardier is squirming in all this? The way I read it, Metrolinx folded like a house of cards.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Metrolinx has provided Bombardier with an extension to a services contract in exchange for the opportunity to cancel purchases of new trains. For most businesses, selling new product is always much more important than winning contracts to service an existing install base. In addition, it sounds like Metrolinx has added some tough language around penalties for poor delivery performance in the future.

If you've ever done a home renovation where the contractor or trades-person is slower than had been initially agreed, you know there is little that can be done. My read is this is a massive failure for Bombardier and Metrolinx is doing the best they can in a bad situation.

When it was first funded, the first phase, Eglinton West Station to Martin Grove, was to be open last year. The delays and cuts in 2010 by McGuinty, while Wynn was Transportation Minister, pushed the remnants to 2021.

Why do people keep writing here that if only McGuinty and Ford had not interfered then Eglinton LRT would have been open in 2014?

Last edited:
Except that they don't. Willowbrook is operating well past its maximum capacity, and while the imminent opening of the ERMF will help this, it's only going to be short-term as Bombardier completes its current commitments for GO cars. (And then there's the 16 locos that should start to arrive early next year.) There's certainly no room at the existing outposting facilities, unless they want to build extra track for the sole purpose of storing LRVs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Where is the next maintenance facility after ERMF going to be? Shall there be a WRMF in the Hamilton area?

Back