News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 497     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

And Rob Ford did not run in 2014...he did not lose but could not run due to his well publicized fight with cancer.
Technically I suppose you are right. However, Rob Ford DID run in 2014. He was in the campaign for over 8 month, dropping out 7 weeks before the election. During that time he failed to be in the lead, during 45 consecutive opinion polls (though bizarrely, he was in the lead for the 46 poll in January after he'd entered the campaign, but no one else had yet). Looking at the two Forum polls days before and after he dropped out, Doug Ford gained on what Rob Ford was polling (though every single poll showed Tory safely leading).

It's true I suppose that no mayor has ever lost a re-election bid for the megacity. Though Rob Ford quit knowing full well he was out of the running; the cancer was a convenient excuse, as it failed to stop him running in Ward 2, where he knew he could win.

Technically I suppose you are right. However, Rob Ford DID run in 2014. He was in the campaign for over 8 month, dropping out 7 weeks before the election. During that time he failed to be in the lead, during 45 consecutive opinion polls (though bizarrely, he was in the lead for the 46 poll in January after he'd entered the campaign, but no one else had yet). Looking at the two Forum polls days before and after he dropped out, Doug Ford gained on what Rob Ford was polling (though every single poll showed Tory safely leading).

It's true I suppose that no mayor has ever lost a re-election bid for the megacity. Though Rob Ford quit knowing full well he was out of the running; the cancer was a convenient excuse, as it failed to stop him running in Ward 2, where he knew he could win.

I agree...but the same is said of David Miller....without the "convenient excuse" of chemo. For those who have had family or friends (or even themselves) experience chemo and the fight against cancer I would never call it a "convenient excuse".

David Miller quit only because he had no chance of winner and had lined up some sweet gigs. Ford quit to fight a killer disease. Saying otherwise is rewriting history and belittling that fight.

nothing during his 4 years, and was unlikely to accomplish anything.

I don't really think Tory has accomplished anything either. All hes's done is take no stand on Uber, push his "smart track" plan. Which to every transit agency in the city makes no sense but I guess since Uof T did a study and said it will work I guess we all needed to bend down to Tory and parise him as the saviopur of Transit in Toronto

Crawling along in the west:

westupdate.JPG

Attachments

• westupdate.JPG
    westupdate.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 878
Can't believe a subway tunnel is approaching Avenue.

You are stealing TigerMaster's script!

I can't believe there's a subway on Eglinton.

Someone pinch me.

Holy shit. I never thought this would happen. There's a subway on Eglinton East!? WHAT!?

Ahhh. This is too much for me to handle

I still can't believe there's a subway on Eglinton (I say this every TBM update)

I don't really think Tory has accomplished anything either. All hes's done is take no stand on Uber, push his "smart track" plan. Which to every transit agency in the city makes no sense but I guess since Uof T did a study and said it will work I guess we all needed to bend down to Tory and parise him as the saviopur of Transit in Toronto

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but I'd say Tory has accomplished a few things of note. I might not agree with it, but a definitive vote was taken on East Gardiner. The Scarborough RT replacement / subway extension / LRT plan has definitely come from his time in office. On non-transit issues, I guess he hasn't had his name attached to the new Police Chief being chosen nor a definitive budget that you could call '100% Tory' yet, but give both time.

From this link:

The four TBMs were purchased by Metrolinx in 2010 at a total cost of $54 million.

From this link:

11 boring machines were used to dig the [Chunnel] tunnel. Together they weighed a total of 12,000 tonnes (more than the Eiffel Tower), while each was as long as two football pitches. One from the British side remains buried under the Channel. Another was sold on eBay for £39,999 in 2004.

The eBay price must be scrap price of the metal.

Back