News   Jul 16, 2024
 600     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 706     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

From what has been said about them, it might be hard to strip them out without cracking. But I'd sure be willing to buy a few - enough for one wall of my bathroom. Wouldn't it be ironic if after decades of complaints that our subway stations looked like bathrooms, a few tiles actually ended up in one ?

- Paul

I wonder what the timeline is Crosstown East. Best case scenario they hit Kennedy and keep going!

I woke up today and went out the balcony to see Eglinton at a standstill, and began counting the number of buses heading eastbound.

9 buses (one of them is in front of the first bus out of the frame) with another 2 approaching in the distance.

IMG_20160202_084507.jpg

And to the left, at the intersection, another 3 buses waiting for the lights. Beyond the intersection I see one more bus dropping passengers off in front of Leaside HS (not in frame).

IMG_20160202_084319.jpg

15 buses eastbound within a 500m stretch of each other. Just in case anyone ever wondered why the Crosstown was necessary. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20160202_084319.jpg
    IMG_20160202_084319.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_20160202_084507.jpg
    IMG_20160202_084507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,070
15 buses eastbound within a 500m stretch of each other. Just in case anyone ever wondered why the Crosstown was necessary. ;)
Sounds like what Sheppard East used to look like in the 1980s.

Any idea when they will start the platform renovations on the Yonge line @ Eglinton?
Very good question.

There was some talk a while ago, that the new Eglinton East and Eglinton stations for the Eglinton line would be separate contracts, because of the TTC issues. But is this how it ended up? If so, any sign of them being tendered?

well to be fair, half of this is caused by the construction itself....down to 1 lane at times so during rush hour thats pretty much the norm for the next 5 years

well to be fair, half of this is caused by the construction itself....down to 1 lane at times so during rush hour thats pretty much the norm for the next 5 years
And once construction is done, there will be no buses on the road. (Ok, maybe there might be an infrequent service akin to Sheppard)

Right now those 15 buses, whether they are stationary (due to 1 lane each way construction) or moving (as it was pre-construction), are taking up plenty of road space. Especially when they try to bypass each other at stops, then they are blocking two full lanes of traffic. They are the reason for congestion on Eglinton, even if without them things would be much worse.

I woke up today and went out the balcony to see Eglinton at a standstill, and began counting the number of buses heading eastbound.

9 buses (one of them is in front of the first bus out of the frame) with another 2 approaching in the distance.

View attachment 65541

And to the left, at the intersection, another 3 buses waiting for the lights. Beyond the intersection I see one more bus dropping passengers off in front of Leaside HS (not in frame).

View attachment 65540

Hmmm... look at all those cars blocking the busses.

To be fair, it was like that before construction even started. Eglinton has always been a mess of buses and cars.

From what has been said about them, it might be hard to strip them out without cracking. But I'd sure be willing to buy a few - enough for one wall of my bathroom. Wouldn't it be ironic if after decades of complaints that our subway stations looked like bathrooms, a few tiles actually ended up in one ?

- Paul

I like where your head's at!

Buildings at Keele and Eglinton and at Bathurst are being demolished, in preparation of the arrival at stations in their place. The stations are finally coming.

Station construction will commence in April.

I for one am going to miss the one minute headways!
I was wondering if the Crosstown would actually take longer than the bus to reach Yonge Station within Midtown once you factor in waiting time.

But after looking through the documents, the Crosstown travelling underground at 34km/h would take 2 minutes to reach Yonge Station from Laird. The headway frequency would be 3.25 minutes.

OK, so to get things in the right thread I'm leaving small amounts in several threads - anyways, one of the more vocal topics at tonight's Town Hall meeting with Minister Del Duca was residents expressing concerns about Crosstown West.

There was a lot of discussion about whether the narrowed Eglinton Ave between Islington and Martin Grove will accommodate LRT. Common theme was "we don't want it to end up like St Clair".

The Minister actually sounded like he actually grasped the concern. He did articulate that LRT and street car were different and shouldn't be confused, nor would they look the same.

There was no specific response, other than it was early in the planning process. The takeaway is simply that the residents' groups in the area are in play. Their comments were not objections or Nimbyish - just wanting assurance that it wouldn't screw up the street.

- Paul

Back