News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 498     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Is there any word as to when they'll start laying tracks in the street..

Here's a photo of the work crew laying streetcar tracks on Eglinton, just west of Caledonia at Gilbert, on October 30, 1924.
s0071_it3498.jpg

Oh, you mean today? Sorry about that...

No actual date has been posted of when they expect to start. See link.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbt
I had not realized there were ever streetcars at any point on Eglinton!

The Oakwood streetcar ceased operations on January 1, 1960. It ran from the Oakwood loop (St. Clair & Oakwood) up to Eglinton Avenue, then west on Eglinton to the Gilbert Loop. See link.

When the Oakwood & Rogers streetcar lines opened on November 19, 1924, it was a big deal.
20100803-SS4.jpg
image6.png

Should be another big deal when the Crosstown LRT opens less than 100 years later.

Last edited:
So the daily ridership projections for the ECLRT are quite interesting, from what I am calculating.

Metrolinx says that the ECLRT will have 117 million annual boardings, or roughly 320,000 daily boardings. Which is quite phenomenal for a route with just 5,000 pphd. The ECLRT has immense off-peak usage.

But it gets more interesting. The 117 million annual figure above is for just the Mt. Dennis to Kennedy portion. According to the SmartTrack Western Corridor Feasibility study that came out last week, Crosstown West's daily ridership is 105,331. Scarborough-Malvern LRT's ridership was projected between 4,500-5,000 pphd, so one would expect the Crosstown East to be of similar levels.

It looks like the Eglinton Crosstown from Pearson to UTSC has a huge daily ridership, comparable to the Bloor-Danforth's 535,600 daily riders. This is despite the fact that the Eglinton Crosstown has a tiny peak hour ridership in comparison.

So the daily ridership projections for the ECLRT are quite interesting, from what I am calculating.

Metrolinx says that the ECLRT will have 117 million annual boardings, or roughly 320,000 daily boardings. Which is quite phenomenal for a route with just 5,000 pphd. The ECLRT has immense off-peak usage.

But it gets more interesting. The 117 million annual figure above is for just the Mt. Dennis to Kennedy portion. According to the SmartTrack Western Corridor Feasibility study that came out last week, Crosstown West's daily ridership is 105,331. Scarborough-Malvern LRT's ridership was projected between 4,500-5,000 pphd, so one would expect the Crosstown East to be of similar levels.

It looks like the Eglinton Crosstown from Pearson to UTSC has a huge daily ridership, comparable to the Bloor-Danforth's 535,600 daily riders. This is despite the fact that the Eglinton Crosstown has a tiny peak hour ridership in comparison.

Interesting observation. This is not impossible. ECLRT will be longer that BD subway, have more stops, and will have high turnover which leads to a high daily / yearly ridership but a modest peak-point load.

For your consideration forum, I present to you a fully realized Crosstown LRT line:

Wouldn't it be great if by 2025 all of this were built?

It would be great but it most likely won't happen.... Too much political interference and a very mushy spine for our govt leaders. I guarantee that should Tory not get reelected the next mayor will have some sort of spin off of the current transit plan and claim that his is going to save the city

It would be great but it most likely won't happen.

Agreed, not in a short timeframe at least.

Too much political interference and a very mushy spine for our govt leaders.

If anything, the voters have a mushy spine and refuse to stick to a plan. They happily dump the current guy and jump to someone with yet more new ideas that takes 5 years to go from conception to construction, but they only have a 4 year term.

If anything, the voters have a mushy spine and refuse to stick to a plan. They happily dump the current guy and jump to someone with yet more new ideas that takes 5 years to go from conception to construction, but they only have a 4 year term.
In the history of amalgamated Toronto, there is no mayor who has ever lost a re-election bid - except Rob Ford.

I don't think this theory applies to Rob Ford, given he'd accomplished nothing during his 4 years, and was unlikely to accomplish anything.

In the history of amalgamated Toronto, there is no mayor who has ever lost a re-election bid - except Rob Ford.

True, but as a populace we've not exactly voted for continuation of a plan. Lastman, Miller, and Rob all recommended equally qualified (to themselves) people who would do that.

Last edited:
So where is the western extension going to terminate? At the airport or the corporate centre?

And if it's at the airport, where? Viscount might be a logical choice, because then you could take the LINK people mover from there to any terminal you need.

I don't think this theory applies to Rob Ford, given he'd accomplished nothing during his 4 years, and was unlikely to accomplish anything.

There is a limited number.

Mel Lastman - Nooo-body can beat him!
David Miller - I need a fleet of electric cars
Rob Ford - 'nuff said
John Tory - tbd

And Rob Ford did not run in 2014...he did not lose but could not run due to his well publicized fight with cancer.

Both Lastman and Ford did not run due to health issues (both their popularity was waning but would have put up a fight to retain the Mayor's position if they could have managed a campaign)
Miller did not run because 80% of us wanted him gone. Putting up with a 30+ day strike and then caving into the workers demands was a big reason.

If you go back to the Metro days....
Barbara Hall lost the first Mayor to Lastman (opposed amalgamation)
June Rowlands lost to Hall (the Barenaked Ladies comment mayor)
Art Eggleton - retired (opposed the Gay pride parade)
John Sewell lost to Eggleton (opposed any business...fought tooth and nail against any development against the downtown core)
Crombie quit early (you can't build greater than 4 stories)

So interesting if you look back that far....
Lefty
Lefty
Righty
Centre
Righty
Lefty
Righty
Lefty
Righty
whichever way the polls go/Righty

It would be great but it most likely won't happen.... Too much political interference and a very mushy spine for our govt leaders. I guarantee that should Tory not get reelected the next mayor will have some sort of spin off of the current transit plan and claim that his is going to save the city

While I tend to agree, lets not forget that this plan that Tory is floating here is essentially the plan for Eglinton/Malvern that David Miller first started in 2006.

streetcar-4121-02.jpg

So the clock for this project started ticking a long time ago. This Eglinton East/West expansion is not some idea from Tory, he is essentially resurrecting an old plan.

So while political interference does happen, and Rob Ford derailed this from happening, we are essentially back "on track" (I believe that train metaphors are mandatory when discussing this, yes)

But my point is, some politician came up with an idea a decade ago, and some new politician is now trying to carry it out, or at least part of it.

Maybe the next mayor will also be of this nature. Or at least the one after them.

Back