News   Jul 19, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 786     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

There's a presentation on Line 5 station naming on the agenda for the next TTC board meeting - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...inton_Line_Station_Names__Combined_Report.pdf

Looks like the Victoria Park Stop is now called O'Connor - not sure if that's new or not, I'm starting to lose track.

And the stop east of Science Centre is now the overly verbose "Aga Khan Park & Museum" That's a mouthful! There's a nice system map at the end as well, which I've posted to the TTC maps thread.

Last edited:
Looks like the Victoria Park Stop is now called Sloane - not sure if that's new or not, I'm starting to lose track.

Victoria Park is called O'Connor now. Sloane is actually the new name for Bermondsey, which I'm ok with.

And the stop east of Science Centre is now the overly verbose "Aga Khan Park & Museum" That's a mouthful! There's a nice system map at the end as well, which I've posted to the TTC maps thread.

Yeah they messed up Aga Khan yet again, to the surprise of no one.

Last edited:
Victoria Park is called O'Connor now. Sloane is actually the new name for Bermondsey, which I'm ok with.
Good grief. Bermondsey is a fine name - and quite a well used road that many know the name of. I've driven up Sloan a few times, and taken the 91 bus, and I don't even recognize the name. Though at least it's a cross-street.

I suppose O'Connor works - better than Wexford.

O'Connor works, but it is still ridiculous. People traveling east and west bound on Eglinton would be looking for important streets perpendicular to Eglinton, like Don Mills and Victoria Park. That is where their destinations are, or where their interchange buses are.

Good grief. Bermondsey is a fine name - and quite a well used road that many know the name of. I've driven up Sloan a few times, and taken the 91 bus, and I don't even recognize the name. Though at least it's a cross-street.

Yeah I'm not sure what exactly this particular name change is supposed to accomplish. Sloane is just a little residential street that is not as well-known.

Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 7.47.52 PM.png

Whereas Bermondsey is a major road.
Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 7.46.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 7.46.45 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 7.46.45 PM.png
    573.6 KB · Views: 433
  • Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 7.47.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 7.47.52 PM.png
    754.7 KB · Views: 409
I must admit I don't get your objection. It's been Eglinton station on the Yonge line, so they're leaving it at that. What's the big deal?

The issue is that "Eglinton Station" isn't accurate naming for customers who are riding on the Eglinton Line. Any one of the stations on Eglinton Line could be "Eglinton Station".

An analogy: Say you're living in a Toronto where one of the 31 stations on the Bloor-Danforth Line was named "Bloor Station". From the name, can you tell me precisely where on the Bloor-Danforth Line "Bloor Station" is located?

The issue is that "Eglinton Station" isn't accurate naming for customers who are riding on the Eglinton Line. Any one of the stations on Eglinton Line could be "Eglinton Station".
I think you underestimate people's ability. There will be one Eglinton station - where it's been for 70 years. People will do just fine. Besides, what would you call it - Roehampton?

An analogy: Say you're living in a Toronto where one of the 31 stations on the Bloor-Danforth Line was named "Bloor Station". From the name, can you tell me precisely where on the Bloor-Danforth Line "Bloor Station" is located?
Half of Toronto thinks that station is named Bloor station! Given there is a Bloor statiom, west of Lansdowne - have you ever seen anyone get confused?

(though I've certainly seen people on the 504 scratching their heads about the Dundas West sign on the front of the streetcar - hopefully the new maps inside the streetcar make things simpler - it would certainly have helped some confused conversations I've heard from visitors while riding.)

I think you underestimate people's ability. There will be one Eglinton station - where it's been for 70 years. People will do just fine. Besides, what would you call it - Roehampton?

Half of Toronto thinks that station is named Bloor station! Given there is a Bloor statiom, west of Lansdowne - have you ever seen anyone get confused?

(though I've certainly seen people on the 504 scratching their heads about the Dundas West sign on the front of the streetcar - hopefully the new maps inside the streetcar make things simpler - it would certainly have helped some confused conversations I've heard from visitors while riding.)

I have no doubt that most Torontonians would figure out where the station was. We could call the station something useless like "stop 473" and most people here would know where is is. But remember that these names are supposed to locate the stations as best as possible. "Eglinton-Yonge Station" is a completely unambiguous name when you're on Line 5, whereas there is an enormous amount of ambiguity with "Eglinton Station" when you're on Line 5.

Holy shit, they're still want to call the interchange station at Eglinton & Yonge, "Eglinton Station"

Have you noticed that Eglinton West station now labelled "TBD"? It's as if they suddenly haven't figured out what to call it despite all the weird name changes they imposed on us along the rest of the Eglinton line, including the interchange at Yonge.

Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 8.51.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 8.51.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-16 at 8.51.36 PM.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 693

Back