News   Jul 19, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 828     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Have you noticed that Eglinton West station now labelled "TBD"? It's as if they suddenly haven't figured out what to call it despite all the weird name changes they imposed on us along the rest of the Eglinton line, including the interchange at Yonge.
The whole point of the presentation is to support the recommendations to the Board. Which are:

1. Approve keeping Eglinton Station and Kennedy Station as integrated station names.

2. Approve changing the name of Eglinton West Station to reduce customer confusion.

3. Approve that the proposed name for Eglinton West integrated station be changed to either:
    A) Allen; or
    B) Cedarvale.

4. Ask Metrolinx to undertake direct consultation, which includes integrated station names, with local Councillors and communities with TTC support as required.

Given the board hasn't approved the motion yet, and there's more than one choice, it would be presumptuous of staff to put a station name there.

If they are to rename it, Allen seems to be the right choice. It's a bit of a walk to Cedarvale Park, and there is an entrance to St. Clair West station already in Cedarvale Park!

I also don't get the apparent fear Metrolinx has in re-using the word "Eglinton" to describe intersections. Jane-Eglinton is most commonly known as "Eglinton Flats". Victoria Park-Eglinton as "Eglinton Square". And Lebovic-Eglinton as "Eglinton Town Centre". Now because Lebovic is an original name I suppose for simplicity sake we keep it. But there's no need to use "Wexford" as a placeholder. "O'Connor" isn't too bad a name choice either, but since that street becomes Eglinton Square south of Eglinton and never actually intersects it, it makes Eg. Sq. all the more salient. Yonge-Eglinton is appropriate for the interchange stop.

Even a far future eastern extension could have the Bellamy-Eglinton station at least subtitled "Eglinton GO".

As for other points raised. "Bermondsey" is not only unique but unique sounding, like "Bessarion" is. Sloane is too generic. I think precedent is being given to the cross-arterial south of Eglinton anyways, hence "Lebovic", and not "Hakim" so Bermondsey should take priority.

And "Ferrand" is also unique. Why the verbose, confusing name Metrolinx is going with? Is it too late to sign petitions to get these station names back on track? Still incensed that "Steeles West" was skipped over for "Pioneer Village" with little public consultation at all.

Sheppard station survived being renamed Sheppard-Yonge. No reason Eglinton station can't survive being renamed Eglinton-Yonge.

And of course there's Bloor-Yonge. Doesn't the signage there show "Bloor" on the Yonge platform and "Yonge" on the Bloor platform? Doesn't that make sense?

Sheppard station survived being renamed Sheppard-Yonge. No reason Eglinton station can't survive being renamed Eglinton-Yonge.

And of course there's Bloor-Yonge. Doesn't the signage there show "Bloor" on the Yonge platform and "Yonge" on the Bloor platform? Doesn't that make sense?

You take your logic and your common sense and get out of here! Metrolinx will have none of that, y'hear?!

The Mount Dennis Community Association has a newsletter, download at this link, that has information about SmartTrack.

upload_2015-11-17_11-53-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-17_11-53-21.png
    upload_2015-11-17_11-53-21.png
    447.8 KB · Views: 559
The City of Toronto polled residents along the SmartTrack route. Their preferred alignment, by far, was the Eglinton LRT extension.

Yesterday I was Forum polled on my political views. One of the questions they ask is whether I approve of the job mayor Tory is doing. I pressed 2 for disapprove.

The Mount Dennis Community Association has a newsletter, download at this link, that has information about SmartTrack.

View attachment 59773

Also included in the Mount Dennis community newsletter is a new transit-oriented development (tower integrated with church) at Weston and Eglinton that I haven't heard about before (anyone have more details?). Its going to be exciting to watch Mount Dennis transform over the next decade. With Line 5 (Crosstown), Smarttrack/GO RER, and the UP Express, along with a huge bus terminal, Mount Dennis is ripe for growth.
Dd0aL03.png

Have you noticed that Eglinton West station now labelled "TBD"? It's as if they suddenly haven't figured out what to call it despite all the weird name changes they imposed on us along the rest of the Eglinton line, including the interchange at Yonge.

View attachment 59722

Metrolinx should just name the station at Yonge after the neighbourhood it's located in . . . Yonge and Eglinton.

As for other points raised. "Bermondsey" is not only unique but unique sounding, like "Bessarion" is. Sloane is too generic. I think precedent is being given to the cross-arterial south of Eglinton anyways, hence "Lebovic", and not "Hakim" so Bermondsey should take priority.
Bermondsey has already been used for a London Underground station: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermondsey_tube_station

Bermondsey_station_roundel.JPG

Back