829     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

West TBM update!

tbmnov18.JPG

Attachments

• tbmnov18.JPG
    tbmnov18.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 742
Pretty slow information flow - about the same as Don and Humber's speed.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 8.27.16 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 8.27.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 8.27.16 PM.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 713
45M....................
wth is wrong with that machine? dont tell me its broken already....

There's nothing wrong at all. They don't want the machines to be boring beside each other though, so one pulls ahead, and the other trails by the distance travelled in a week or two.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

whats wrong with concurrent activity? fear of vibrations destabilizing the tunnels? still....in almost 2 months since they "started" even 1 month going at 5m/day... 200m/45m isnt really good progress especially since it was touted
to be able to dig twice that speed.

whats wrong with concurrent activity? fear of vibrations destabilizing the tunnels? still....in almost 2 months since they "started" even 1 month going at 5m/day... 200m/45m isnt really good progress especially since it was touted
to be able to dig twice that speed.

Ground subsidence. It's much easier to control when you're only pushing and excavating Xm³ volume of soil, versus Xm³ x2.

They were able to dig much of the TYSSE tunnels simultaneously, but in areas where they were passing underneath buildings - the York U campus, the neighbourhoods around and south of Finch and Keele - they had to stagger the running of the TBMs for the same reason.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Having one lead the other makes sense.

What I'm unlear about is, why is Lea not making the same (excellent) progress that Dennis is making? And why is the best data that Anne Marie Aikins can offer Steve Munro 11 days old? And why did it take Steve's voice to elicit a response, when several others had previously asked the same question?

- Paul

The slideshow for the Former Kodak Lands update are up at this link. The bad news, for me at least, is that if I try to save the PowerPoint on my Mac, the screens are blank. When I try to print them, they are also blank. Copyright issues?

Anyways, they have shifted the bus terminal to the north of former Kodak Building No. 9. Its to allow for possible redevelopment of lands to the east.

The slideshow for the Former Kodak Lands update are up at this link. The bad news, for me at least, is that if I try to save the PowerPoint on my Mac, the screens are blank. When I try to print them, they are also blank. Copyright issues?

Anyways, they have shifted the bus terminal to the north of former Kodak Building No. 9. Its to allow for possible redevelopment of lands to the east.

I converted the slides to PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz9cvo78eur2imv/kodak lands update november 19.pdf?dl=0

I attended the open house and talked to some of the reps from Metrolinx/Crosslinx, here are some of the things I found out:

1. The surface stations will have an enclosed shelter, but it will not be heated or have snowmelt systems.

2. SLIDE 29: I asked why is the multi-use trail is on the north side of Eglinton, given that there's an existing trail along Eglinton (west of Jane) that's on the south side. I figured it would have better continuity with the existing trail if it was moved to the south side of Eglinton. I was told that the south side of Eglinton is beyond the scope of this project because the station itself is located on the north side, therefore no work is to be done on the south side other than the new Photography Dr bridge. It will be up to the city to decide if they want to build another trail on the south side in order to have better continuity with the existing Eglinton trail, so maybe it could happen with Eglinton Connects. I believe there will be a reduction in traffic lanes between Weston and Black Creek according to the renderings I saw in the Mt Dennis Mobility Hub Study (Aug 2013), so it's certainly a possibility.

3. I also asked if the retaining wall on the south side of Eglinton will be obliterated just like they're planning on the north side, and the answer is unfortunately no for the same reason as above (beyond their scope).

4. Will a new UP station be built here: yes. Will Metrolinx shutter the existing one at Weston: we don't know yet.

5. Will the bus terminal be reduced in size or eliminated altogether if or when the Crosstown is extended to Pearson? Yes.

6. Are the station rendering conceptual or final? They are not quite finalized but no major changes are expected, and the aesthetics/architectural style will remain the same. What you see now is pretty much how it will be built.

Last edited:
4. Will a new UP station be built here: yes. Will Metrolinx shutter the existing one at Weston: we don't know yet.

I definitely think a UP station is great, however only if they shutter the Weston station. It makes practically no sense to have the two stations so close--Weston and Bloor are already about 5 minutes apart--and Weston is devoid of any significant connections, whereas the Crosstown, I think, justifies a station.

That said, what was the cost of Weston UP station? If they shutter it that will be a huge waste of money. Very poor planning in the first place--of course it was political due to the local residents/councillor, but how many millions were spent on a station that might end up only having been in service for about 5 years?

Back