News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 928     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Okay so the press release described the combined Eglinton-Scarborough Line as having "up to 26 stops". I think that means we can probably guess the new station list: Black Creek, Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West, Bathurst, Chaplin, Avenue, Eglinton-Yonge, Mt Pleasant, Bayview, Laird, Leslie, Don Mills, Wynford, Bermondsey, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, Warden, Birchmount, Kennedy, Lawrence East, Ellesmere, Midland, and Scarborough Centre.

If that is the case then I'm very pleased with the stop spacing. Slightly wider than what you'd find on most of Bloor, but still reasonable. My only concern is the "up to". I wouldn't say any of those stations are really expendable.

Okay so the press release described the combined Eglinton-Scarborough Line as having "up to 26 stops". I think that means we can probably guess the new station list: Black Creek, Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West, Bathurst, Chaplin, Avenue, Eglinton-Yonge, Mt Pleasant, Bayview, Laird, Leslie, Don Mills, Wynford, Bermondsey, Victoria Park, Pharmacy, Warden, Birchmount, Kennedy, Lawrence East, Ellesmere, Midland, and Scarborough Centre.

If that is the case then I'm very pleased with the stop spacing. Slightly wider than what you'd find on most of Bloor, but still reasonable. My only concern is the "up to". I wouldn't say any of those stations are really expendable.
To put that into perspective:

TTC_EglintonCrosstownLRT_Screenshot.JPG

Sorry for the giant pic

Well there a couple of things I have a problem with.........
First, I still don't understand the logic of building an LRT. Seeing Eglinton/STC is going to be one continuous route {which is an excellent idea and get's rid of Miller's TC fixation on making as many transfers as humanely possible} I still don't see why it's not SkyTrain. Seeing the whole line will be underground weather is not a problem and all they have to do is put on the cheap heating mechanisms on the original line. Expand the the stations and save the money and disruption of transferring STC to LRT. SkyTrain is faster than LRT and has higher frequency capacity and has better incline/decline abilities of either Metro or LRT as well as tighter turn radiuses. The idea that it's proprietary is a none issue as everyone here knows that any federal or provincial funds for any LRT or Metro cars for the next 100 years will go to Bombardier regardless. The SkyTrain yards and command centre are already there unlike the LRT trains which will require a new yard due to not having the same gauge as the new legacy streetcars.
Second. tunneling from Kennedy to Don Mills is a complete waste of precious transit dollars. Is there a fear the elevated track will destroy the oh so bohemian Golden Mile? The Golden Mile is an industrial and commercial area and will never change from that but that's fine. Commercial and industrial areas are just as much a part of the urban fabric as is Yorkville.

All that said, just build the damn thing with shovels in the ground {real ones not ceremonial kind} this year. By doing this it also means that Toronto could put it's large voting bloc as a negotiating tool in the current election. There is no better time to get federal dollars than during an election......any potential government may not want to say yes to funding but are far to afraid to say no.

Well there a couple of things I have a problem with.........
First, I still don't understand the logic of building an LRT. Seeing Eglinton/STC is going to be one continuous route {which is an excellent idea and get's rid of Miller's TC fixation on making as many transfers as humanely possible} I still don't see why it's not SkyTrain. Seeing the whole line will be underground weather is not a problem and all they have to do is put on the cheap heating mechanisms on the original line. Expand the the stations and save the money and disruption of transferring STC to LRT. SkyTrain is faster than LRT and has higher frequency capacity and has better incline/decline abilities of either Metro or LRT as well as tighter turn radiuses. The idea that it's proprietary is a none issue as everyone here knows that any federal or provincial funds for any LRT or Metro cars for the next 100 years will go to Bombardier regardless. The SkyTrain yards and command centre are already there unlike the LRT trains which will require a new yard due to not having the same gauge as the new legacy streetcars.
Second. tunneling from Kennedy to Don Mills is a complete waste of precious transit dollars. Is there a fear the elevated track will destroy the oh so bohemian Golden Mile? The Golden Mile is an industrial and commercial area and will never change from that but that's fine. Commercial and industrial areas are just as much a part of the urban fabric as is Yorkville.

All that said, just build the damn thing with shovels in the ground {real ones not ceremonial kind} this year. By doing this it also means that Toronto could put it's large voting bloc as a negotiating tool in the current election. There is no better time to get federal dollars than during an election......any potential government may not want to say yes to funding but are far to afraid to say no.

Rob Ford wants transit underground so transit goes underground. You're wasting your time looking for any kind of logic besides that.

I don't know how he think's he is going to commit the city to pay for this, and yet not have to put this in front of council.

Is he going to pay it himself?

If he really thinks he doesn't need to put this in front of council, he should be imprisoned for corruption!

I honestly don't know much about transit stuff but won't it be really expensive to build so many underground stations for the LRT? Considering it will stop in a lot more places than a subway would. Surely building underground platforms and elevators and stairwells is really expensive, no?

And why/how is underground LRT cheaper than an underground subway? I honestly am just curious :).

Anyways, I've grown tired of all this city's diddle-daddling on transit so I'm just happy and really excited, admittedly, that we're getting something on Eglinton.

I don't know how he think's he is going to commit the city to pay for this, and yet not have to put this in front of council.

Is he going to pay it himself?

If he really thinks he doesn't need to put this in front of council, he should be imprisoned for corruption!

And the thing is, unlike Transit City, this is only one project, so he can't really split the vote up into the project's separate 'elements'. With Transit City, Miller was able to have several votes on different elements of Transit City, but never a vote on the entire plan itself. Being only one line, Ford can't do that. He'll have to face council head on with his proposal.

I honestly don't know much about transit stuff but won't it be really expensive to build so many underground stations for the LRT? Considering it will stop in a lot more places than a subway would. Surely building underground platforms and elevators and stairwells is really expensive, no?
Not a lot more, but there's no indication that all of the stations will be underground (Leslie comes to mind); and about 20% of the route will be elevated through Scarborough ... it would be a lot more expensive to put that underground.

Stop spacing is about the same as the Bloor-Danforth subway over much of the Eglinton line.

And why/how is underground LRT cheaper than an underground subway? I honestly am just curious :).

Smaller station boxes, but that's about it. The savings with underground LRT vs underground HRT is negligible.

Anyways, I've grown tired of all this city's diddle-daddling on transit so I'm just happy and really excited, admittedly, that we're getting something on Eglinton.

Hopefully they're able to get their butts in gear and get a big enough hole in the ground by the time the election rolls around that it'll make it a much harder target to cancel.

Being only one line, Ford can't do that. He'll have to face council head on with his proposal.
I'd think so, but both Stintz and Ford have said that they only have to put the Sheppard subway to council; and that they don't have to put anything else to council. But how do they authorize this new spending to pay out the cancelled contracts (the previous spending was coming from Metrolinx)?

If they don't get council approval, aren't Ford and Stintz guilty of the same things that got the management of Toronto Housing fired?

I agree.. If we're building an underground transit line then it seems short sighted to make it as a streetcar.

Although I'm just happy to see some semblance of a subway plan coming to fruition.

TTC_EglintonCrosstownLRT_Screenshot.JPG

Since the current EA for the Eglinton Crosstown is already underground for the portion between Keele and Laird, the powers that be can continue with the construction in place for that portion between Keele and Laird. Any other parts that need to go underground will have to undergo another EA. When that EA is completed, hopefully the tunneling for the original section will be completed enough to do the construction for the remaining underground sections without having to wait.

Last edited:

Back