News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 958     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

If the stop spacing is subway-like I see no reason not to include this line I don't agree with on the subway maps.

It's essentially a subway. The Eglinton Subway. If the Sheppard line funding gets in place to be built by 2019, this may be the most subway construction going on in a decade in Toronto history.

If the stop spacing is subway-like I see no reason not to include this line I don't agree with on the subway maps.

I think operating environment determines whether it should show up on the subway map, not stop spacing. If it's in a tunnel, or grade-separated (which usually means wider that 400m stop spacing), then it should be on the subway map.

A great example of this is Boston's map. The tunnelled portions of the Green Line have every station labelled, but the at-grade portions further out only label major stops and the rest are just dots. If they had followed through with Transit City, I would imagine it would have looked something like that.

Holy crap. As I sit here slurping my pho noodle soup at Warden and Eglinton...

If the Eglinton X-town construction really does get underway this year, then Ford's political street cred will jump a few notches.

I'm glad to see Eglinton getting priority over Sheppard by the way.

Last edited:
I can only hope that this so called plan will go before city council, so there will still be at least one last chance to kill plans for the Sheppard subway extension that will never happen anyways.

And you gotta wonder why the mayor who is always ranting and raving about respect for taxpayers thinks it is worth spending an extra two billion to bury all of the Eglinton line while leaving sheppard and finch as bus routes, does this buffoon not realize that the city will have to keep on buying buses to operate those lines?

The anticipated speed and ridership of the eastern section of the Eglinton LRT simply does not justify the extra cost to bury it, unless ford thinks that saving ~15km of HOV lanes (not regular lanes) is worth the extra cost

I can only hope that this so called plan will go before city council, so there will still be at least one last chance to kill plans for the Sheppard subway extension that will never happen anyways.

And you gotta wonder why the mayor who is always ranting and raving about respect for taxpayers thinks it is worth spending an extra two billion to bury all of the Eglinton line while leaving sheppard and finch as bus routes, does this buffoon not realize that the city will have to keep on buying buses to operate those lines?

The anticipated speed and ridership of the eastern section of the Eglinton LRT simply does not justify the extra cost to bury it, unless ford thinks that saving ~15km of HOV lanes (not regular lanes) is worth the extra cost

I would have preferred grade-separating the western portion and running at or above grade to the Airport rather than going east and connecting to the SRT.

Holy crap. As I sit here slurping my pho noodle soup at Warden and Eglinton...

If the Eglinton X-town construction really does get underway this year, then Ford's political street cred will jump a few notches.

I'm glad to see Eglinton getting priority over Sheppard by the way.

The Eglinton line was due to start preliminary construction this year long before Ford got involved.

The Eglinton line was due to start preliminary construction this year long before Ford got involved.

Yes it was but people were afraid things would get seriously delayed because of his meddling. Instead, there may be no delay AND he gets his wish of full "subway" (or grade separated) to Kennedy, and even STC, as one line.

I was OK with the Eglinton LRT because it was a reasonable compromise. However for those of us in Scarborough this is even better. Yes, I'm biased.

So, how much faster will this line run as compared to the at-grade LRT?

Also, what would be the cost in 2011 $ to build the line out from Jane to the airport, grade separated vs non-grade separated?

Last edited:
The National Post is reporting that there will likely need to be an EA done for the new tunnel, so expect this line to open later than expected.

The Eglinton East surface section was set to operate at speeds of 22 - 25 km/h. It'll run between 5 and 8 km/h faster now, probably, though some of that will just be because there will be fewer stops than originally planned.

The National Post is reporting that there will likely need to be an EA done for the new tunnel, so expect this line to open later than expected.

The Eglinton East surface section was set to operate at speeds of 22 - 25 km/h. It'll run between 5 and 8 km/h faster now, probably, though some of that will just be because there will be fewer stops than originally planned.

My guess is they will build it in 2 phases. Have the initial tunnel section and the SRT proceed as planned, and then dig Phase 2 once all the EAs and such are completed, because by then the TBMs will be finished the 1st part of Eglinton, and can hopefully near seamlessly move onto the East part.

This may mean however that the Eglinton and Scarborough portions of the line will operate independently for a couple years, without the eastern connecting piece. I'm willing to wait a couple extra years to get a line that is completely grade-separated and can run longer trains and ATC along its entire length.

Yeah if things go smoothly a two stage build may work with minimal delay. That's a pretty big if of course.

In the meantime I wonder how this will alter their approach to residential development along Eglinton, as most of it seems to be retail/commercial esp. east of Leslie. I note that along Bloor-Danforth at Warden it's gotten some pretty nice condos, specifically because of the subway station.

Then again one wonders what the LRT at grade would have done to residential development along the same stretch.

Last edited:
LRT at grade would lead to development. A subway leads to more development. According to Metrolinx BCAs anyway.

It's likely Eglinton will run at speeds equal to current TTC subway lines with similar stop spacing, e.g. Bloor-Danforth.

A bizarre idea that Rob Ford may do is...reap the benefits of a "free" subway on Eglinton and pass it on to Sheppard...

Since Eglinton is so heavily underdeveloped and has plenty of land from Don Mills up to Birchmount (and to a lesser extent, Kennedy), the city could charge levies on all new development along this corridor then transfer it to Sheppard to build that subway (+ the levies along sheppard)

It could be pushed as a "Scarborough Shift" as in...Money is just moving North from Eglinton to Sheppard...
So as a result, development gets built on a mass scale from Don Mills to Kennedy along BOTH Eglinton and Sheppard...

Now...i'm not advocating this...but you have to admit it would be cool to see 2 parallel avenues having the same intensity of dense development occuring at the same time between the same cross streets!

It would change the face of Scarborough forever!

My guess is they will build it in 2 phases. Have the initial tunnel section and the SRT proceed as planned, and then dig Phase 2 once all the EAs and such are completed, because by then the TBMs will be finished the 1st part of Eglinton, and can hopefully near seamlessly move onto the East part.

This may mean however that the Eglinton and Scarborough portions of the line will operate independently for a couple years, without the eastern connecting piece. I'm willing to wait a couple extra years to get a line that is completely grade-separated and can run longer trains and ATC along its entire length.

Another limitation to consider: they will not shut down the existing SRT before the PanAm games in 2015, hence the upgraded SRT won't be running before 2017.

LRT at grade would lead to development. A subway leads to more development. According to Metrolinx BCAs anyway.

It's likely Eglinton will run at speeds equal to current TTC subway lines with similar stop spacing, e.g. Bloor-Danforth.
Well that's what I'm hoping for: Subway speed and subway type development. That strip certainly needs it.

I wonder what this will do to volumes on the Yonge line in the future though, because volumes will increase at Eglinton.

Also, while Finch's loss doesn't bother me as they'll be well served my BRT, I do wonder about Malvern in the future. I get the impression Ford's group won't even want to discuss Malvern. That's far off in the future though. OTOH, Maybe Jane and Don Mills should get priority over Malvern anyway.

Last edited:
A bizarre idea that Rob Ford may do is...reap the benefits of a "free" subway on Eglinton and pass it on to Sheppard...

Since Eglinton is so heavily underdeveloped and has plenty of land from Don Mills up to Birchmount (and to a lesser extent, Kennedy), the city could charge levies on all new development along this corridor then transfer it to Sheppard to build that subway (+ the levies along sheppard)

It could be pushed as a "Scarborough Shift" as in...Money is just moving North from Eglinton to Sheppard...
So as a result, development gets built on a mass scale from Don Mills to Kennedy along BOTH Eglinton and Sheppard...

Now...i'm not advocating this...but you have to admit it would be cool to see 2 parallel avenues having the same intensity of dense development occuring at the same time between the same cross streets!

It would change the face of Scarborough forever!

Definitely an interesting idea. It's almost like the concept of rolling over Securities from one phase of a project to another (for those who don't know, whenever a development is proposed, the City requires that a certain percentage of the project (sometimes even 100%) is paid to the City as a security deposit, in case the project falls flat on its face. "Rolling over" securities is when you use the Securities from Phase 1 of a project to then become the Securities for Phase 2 of the project). Take the money 'gained' from Eglinton and then use it as part of the 'down payment' on Sheppard.

Of course in order to do that there would need to be a major OPA, and a retooling of a good portion of the Zoning By-Law. That process would take almost as long as the construction itself :p.

Back