News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'd be surprised if the traffic doubles or more. Certainly not in the short term (say 10 years). How many more people will take Eglinton once the LRT opens versus the number that take it now on the many buses coming here daily? Certainly there will be growth but how much. Another thing that will change. People will now be able to go straight from the Eglinton platform to the Yonge platform without having to walk from the bus bays. That will reduce crowding within the upper level of the station.

I was thinking about this recently. The central portion of Eglinton has a very different mode share compared to Sheppard for instance, it is more split between public transportation and cars. The suburban automobile mentality is not as prevalent and people here are more willing to take public transportation like in downtown. I think the biggest detriment to more upper middle class people from adjacent neighborhoods from taking the subway are the present buses. Subways may be clean and great, but buses tend to be associated with dirtiness and well.. the proletariat.

I think more people, especially from the nearby neighborhoods, would be willing to take the Eglinton LRT when it opens over the present buses.

I'd be surprised if the traffic doubles or more. Certainly not in the short term (say 10 years). How many more people will take Eglinton once the LRT opens versus the number that take it now on the many buses coming here daily? Certainly there will be growth but how much. Another thing that will change. People will now be able to go straight from the Eglinton platform to the Yonge platform without having to walk from the bus bays. That will reduce crowding within the upper level of the station.

I live on Eglinton and avoid the bus because it's dirty and often too full to get a seat. I will be using the LRT. I am sure there are other people like me. Often if you try to get on the eastbound bus just east of the allen there are no spots for anyone else to get on.

I was thinking about this recently. The central portion of Eglinton has a very different mode share compared to Sheppard for instance, it is more split between public transportation and cars. The suburban automobile mentality is not as prevalent and people here are more willing to take public transportation like in downtown. I think the biggest detriment to more upper middle class people from adjacent neighborhoods from taking the subway are the present buses. Subways may be clean and great, but buses tend to be associated with dirtiness and well.. the proletariat.

I think more people, especially from the nearby neighborhoods, would be willing to take the Eglinton LRT when it opens over the present buses.

I don't really think the anti-bus sentiment is prevalent in Toronto. From what I've ready it's pretty strong in the US, but those tend to be cities where buses are the only public transit option and where mainly low income people take transit. In a city like Toronto where people who own Tesla cars are on the subway talking about their Muskoka cottage on the way to their 100 level Leafs seats and Bay St jobs, where buses are integrated into the subway such that most people who get on the subway transfer from a bus, I think there isn't as much anti-bus bias.

I agree that central Eglinton tends to be more likely to take public transit than people who live on Sheppard.

I live on Eglinton and avoid the bus because it's dirty and often too full to get a seat. I will be using the LRT. I am sure there are other people like me. Often if you try to get on the eastbound bus just east of the allen there are no spots for anyone else to get on.

Are you travelling to the subway? If so, what do you do instead of taking the bus?

Personally I've had mostly good experiences taking the bus to the subway.

I take the bus to and from Eglinton Station daily. I find that the busses are rarely full. 90% of the time I'm able to find a seat. In fact, seeing how underused the busses are first hand makes me second guess my support of the Eglinton Subway & LRT.

I take the bus to and from Eglinton Station daily. I find that the busses are rarely full. 90% of the time I'm able to find a seat. In fact, seeing how underused the busses are first hand makes me second guess my support of the Eglinton Subway & LRT.

Dude. Check out the ridership numbers on the buses along Eglinton. They're pretty much as high as regular bus lines can be.

Dude. Check out the ridership numbers on the buses along Eglinton. They're pretty much as high as regular bus lines can be.

Yes. I know. This is why I don't use my anecdotal experiences when it comes to transit. I was merely expressing surprise on how manageable the "crowding" on the Eglinton busses are, given their high ridership on paper. I wasn't expect it to be so easy to get a seat. This caused me to second guess the project, but I trust the official numbers than my first hand experiences.

Also, watching people transfer onto the subway at Eglinton Station and the number of busses that enter/exist the station in a minute illustrates the high usage of these routes.

I don't really think the anti-bus sentiment is prevalent in Toronto. From what I've ready it's pretty strong in the US, but those tend to be cities where buses are the only public transit option and where mainly low income people take transit. In a city like Toronto where people who own Tesla cars are on the subway talking about their Muskoka cottage on the way to their 100 level Leafs seats and Bay St jobs, where buses are integrated into the subway such that most people who get on the subway transfer from a bus, I think there isn't as much anti-bus bias.

I agree that central Eglinton tends to be more likely to take public transit than people who live on Sheppard.

Are you travelling to the subway? If so, what do you do instead of taking the bus?

Personally I've had mostly good experiences taking the bus to the subway.
I live walking distance to eglinton west so i typically use that subway to get downtown. I would like to take the bus to Yonge to get to the movies and to eglinton centre. But like i said after eglinton west towards bathurst the bus is full.

I live walking distance to eglinton west so i typically use that subway to get downtown. I would like to take the bus to Yonge to get to the movies and to eglinton centre. But like i said after eglinton west towards bathurst the bus is full.

At what times are you taking this bus?

I take the 32 Eglinton West frequently, and there aren't very many times I remember it being full.

Cool, lots of UT forum posters living on Eglinton. Although if you live near Eg West station, I'd think going up to Yorkdale or downtown to Bloor-Bay or Eaton Centre would be a better mall & theater than Yonge-Eg centre.

I'm surprised it's that full, assuming you're going to a movie at night.

Nobody expects the Spanish Solution!

View attachment 40731

The penny-pinchers may prefer the Indian solution:

India-Train.jpg

Attachments

• India-Train.jpg
    India-Train.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 485
That's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Unfortunately the tunnel clearances on Yonge Line are too small and the tunnel is too close to the tunnel expand it. But this would work on Eglinton Line. I wonder if it's too late to modify the LRV order to facilitate riding on the top of the vehicle. Perhaps Smallspy can provide some input. Smallspy?

I always say "buses are for chumps" and many people agree with me. It's one thing to take the subway or a streetcar to work, but there are lots of people who draw the line at a bus. They're noisy, bounce around and generally make for an unpleasant ride.

Cool, lots of UT forum posters living on Eglinton. Although if you live near Eg West station, I'd think going up to Yorkdale or downtown to Bloor-Bay or Eaton Centre would be a better mall & theater than Yonge-Eg centre.

I'm surprised it's that full, assuming you're going to a movie at night.

Do I still qualify as a downtown elitist if I live on Eglinton?

I always say "buses are for chumps" and many people agree with me. It's one thing to take the subway or a streetcar to work, but there are lots of people who draw the line at a bus. They're noisy, bounce around and generally make for an unpleasant ride.

The bus doesn't have to be a downer. The most interesting case study I have seen for this is Albuquerque, NM. Albuquerque has a fairly gritty downtown but with some high-tech employers right in the center of town. The middle-to-upper-middle class employees live in nice suburbs in the hills. There is a remarkable two-tier bus system consisting of express buses that bring the "good folks" folks downtown to work, and a fairly typical system of inner city bus routes serving the less affluent. The two are remarkably integrated, but it's structured such that the suburbanites come downtown without ever having the "riff raff" board their transit vehicles. The duality is unmistakeable. It's brilliant, or scary, or depressing, depending on your point of view.

- Paul

Back