News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'm surprised they aren't going to find a way to squeeze in a second platform.

However, given that they are literally taking the existing station, and rebuilding it, shifting it south, one has to assume that this new design is designed to handle the forecast traffic.

I am concerned though.

Shifting it north* I believe.

I'm skeptical because they are moving the platform north to an unused portion of the station that was built in 1954 alongside the rest of the station. The new platform will have the same dimensions as the present one.

Eglinton Crosstown construction would have been the perfect opportunity to pursue a Spanish Solution to the station. It will be much trickier (and costlier) to upgrade the station in the future when the Crosstown is in service and the TTC Bus Bay lands are developed into condos and office towers. I fear we are recreating the Bloor-Yonge station upgrade predicament at Eglinton.

I'm surprised they aren't going to find a way to squeeze in a second platform.

However, given that they are literally taking the existing station, and rebuilding it, shifting it south, one has to assume that this new design is designed to handle the forecast traffic.

I am concerned though.

You mean North - there is no room to the south and the Eglinton line is at the north end of the existing station.

As for a second platform, would be a significant project - accounting for existing (and new) buildings and the existing roadway. Yes this will be a busy station, but by 2030 we would hope other high order north-south connections would be in place (in design at least)

They don't generate much usage. The City is pushing to preserve the employment lands on Eglinton to maximize the return on our investment.

The condos on sheppard dont generate much usage because people buy with the idea that they will take the 401 for the majority of their trips but the subway on the rare trips. I dont necessarily believe people will have that same way of thinking when buying on Eglinton. It is already a traffic nightmare and the people who buy may be more likely to take the ttc primarily and their cars secondary. Downtown is obviously the ideal, pedestrian first, transit second, car third. All that being said I believe Eglinton buyers will be considerably different than sheppard condo buyers making them more like their downtown neighbours then their uptown neighbours.

The condos on sheppard dont generate much usage because people buy with the idea that they will take the 401 for the majority of their trips but the subway on the rare trips. I dont necessarily believe people will have that same way of thinking when buying on Eglinton. It is already a traffic nightmare and the people who buy may be more likely to take the ttc primarily and their cars secondary. Downtown is obviously the ideal, pedestrian first, transit second, car third. All that being said I believe Eglinton buyers will be considerably different than sheppard condo buyers making them more like their downtown neighbours then their uptown neighbours.

Residential developments don't generate much transit usage, regardless of where they're located. Commercial developments generate far more transit usage than residential developments of the same size.

Refer those points to AndrewPMK should he return from the dead, not me. :p

I don't think Eglinton will reach capacity in my lifetime. I think it will exceed opening day and 2031 ridership projections.

On opening day, when it's moving only 1,000 persons per hour, we'll collectively exclaim, "oh no, we did it again!", and hang our heads in shame :(

I'm skeptical because they are moving the platform north to an unused portion of the station that was built in 1954 alongside the rest of the station. The new platform will have the same dimensions as the present one.

Eglinton Crosstown construction would have been the perfect opportunity to pursue a Spanish Solution to the station. It will be much trickier (and costlier) to upgrade the station in the future when the Crosstown is in service and the TTC Bus Bay lands are developed into condos and office towers. I fear we are recreating the Bloor-Yonge station upgrade predicament at Eglinton.

This is related to what I said above regarding the difficulty of conversions & upgrades to existing lines. Shutting down existing stations or parts of the Yonge line for years is not practical or desirable.

It's likely also insanely expensive if it's even possible to add another platform to Eglinton. You'd be better off spending that money on: speeding up ATC installation on Yonge if possible, starting ATC installation on Bloor, and platform doors.

Yes.

201311_EglintonStn_AppC.jpg

I'm concerned.

Eglinton Crosstown construction would have been the perfect opportunity to pursue a Spanish Solution to the station.
If there isn't space with the various foundations to put in a second platform, how would there be place to build a second AND a third?

And why not simply say 3 platforms instead of "Spanish solution"?

If the space is as limited as they say, I'd think the solution would be to lengthen the platform even further north (move some track if necessary) and simply have the northbound platform and southbound platform end-to-end instead of side-by-side.

Attachments

• 201311_EglintonStn_AppC.jpg
    201311_EglintonStn_AppC.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 442
Yes.

If there isn't space with the various foundations to put in a second platform, how would there be place to build a second AND a third?

Exactly this seems very impractical for an existing station. If you're building a new subway station then go ahead and put 3 platforms, but expanding an existing one that happens to be one of the busiest in the system at one of the most built-up intersections? Trying to do that while keeping it running? Good luck with that. That sounds like it would cost more than building a brand new subway line (possibly exaggerating, but it would be insanely expensive).

And why not simply say 3 platforms instead of "Spanish solution"?

People looove saying "Spanish solution" and apparently it's the solution to everything. Spanish solution this, spanish solution that, every station should be converted to Spanish solution apparently. It's the solution!

The way transit enthusiasts talk, they'd like to shut down our whole subway for 10 years, rebuild everything, then restart the whole city. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have and add to it.

Last edited:
Residential developments don't generate much transit usage, regardless of where they're located. Commercial developments generate far more transit usage than residential developments of the same size.

No debate there but transit riders have to come from somewhere and having a place beside a line advocates usage more than a house disconnected from immediate access.

People looove saying "Spanish solution" and apparently it's the solution to everything. Spanish solution this, spanish solution that, every station should be converted to Spanish solution apparently. It's the solution!

The way transit enthusiasts talk, they'd like to shut down our whole subway for 10 years, rebuild everything, then restart the whole city. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have and add to it.

Well sir, there's nothing like a genuine, bonafide, electrified, tri-platform, Spanish solution.

(Don't disappoint me fellow UTers; you know what to do next ;))

Back