News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 984     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

That's a good question.

I know that in crowd counts, organizations frequently send some guy out to guesstimate how many people are there. I hope that's not how the TTC does it.

I would guess that they'd pick a few random busses and have employees count the number of riders or board and alight the vehicle at each station. After they get enough data, they can extrapolate that to the entire bus route and day

I think this mentality is especially evident in the wealthier neighborhoods adjacent to the LRT through the central portion.

How can it be evident if the LRT is not running yet? Once it starts running, we will know how many people will switch from driving to using LRT.

And even then, it will have nothing to do with the bus vs streetcar debate. The central portion of Eglinton LRT will be very different from a regular surface, mixed-traffic, frequent-stop streetcar.

That's a good question.

I would guess that they'd pick a few random busses and have employees count the number of riders or board and alight the vehicle at each station. After they get enough data, they can extrapolate that to the entire bus route and day

Actually, they have fairly sophisticated methods for counting riders. Some of this is electronic (the busses transmit data, it's called AVI) and some is time-honoured people counting which can be someone riding or people counting as vehicles drive by. The manual counts are pretty accurate, I'm told.

I don't know how they would count transfers between routes within a multi-platform terminal like Eglinton ( I suspect I know who to ask) but I bet they have a clever way that's more accurate than a guesstimate.

- Paul

For the future ridership estimates there may be quite a wide range of numbers. For making financial projections you want to use a conservative number to ensure you can make the budget work even with the lowest ridership. For safety issues you want to use the most aggressive numbers to ensure you can keep everyone safe even if ridership skyrockets. You don't want to use the conservative numbers for safety purposes and you don't want to use the aggressive numbers for financial purposes.

Will Eglinton be added to the subway map?

Any ideas what it will look like?

Do you think all stops will be labelled or only transfers? ... since there are so many and eastern segment is not grade separated.

Last edited:

Yes. See TTC Report: NEW WAYFINDING STANDARDS

20131023-Map-Subway.jpg

Do you think all stops will be labelled or only transfers? ... since there are so many and eastern segment is not grade separated.

Of course it will. There aren't that many stops, it's about the same as the Bloor subway. There shouldn't be any problem fitting them in.

Can Spadina and St. Clair be considered rapid transit?

I feel like if it was on the official TTC map then more people would use it to get to their destinations.

How can 15 km/hr with stops every few hundred meters be considered rapid transit.

Another give away are the route numbers. Line 1, Line 2, Line 3, Line 4, Line 5, Line 6, and Line 7 are on the map. The 510 Spadina isn't on the map.

I feel like if it was on the official TTC map then more people would use it to get to their destinations.
It's on the streetcar map:

TTC Streetcar Map.png

Attachments

• TTC Streetcar Map.png
    TTC Streetcar Map.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,089
If Eglinton in Scarborough is on the map then why isn't Spadina and Queens Quay?

Spadina Avg Speed: 15km/h
Eglinton Avg Speed: 28km/h
Subway Avg Speed: 32km/h

Well firstly, re: Eglinton, you'd have to show the underground section like you would any other subway, right? It's 10km of underground tunnel running frequent 60-90m trains, clearly, that's rapid transit. It behaves like any other subway line.

The surface section you'd have to show as well, otherwise people won't know that the line continues. If you only show the underground part, that gives the false impression that the line ends.

Therefore the only real debate is whether you use a thinner line line for the surface section. I don't really see the benefit of this, considering that there aren't that many stops. However, I don't really have a major problem with it becoming a thinner line east of Laird, it would still be useful.

The more difficult question is the Finch & Sheppard LRTs (when they're built). They have more stops, and are more geographically skewed towards the east or west, so it would be more difficult to fit them on the map. The map posted above only shows 4-5 stops for the Finch line.

Now, why not Spadina & St Clair & QQW?
- Speed to slow
- Behaves like a bus line (you have to request stops)
- Too many stops to fit on map

I have no problem adding these as thin red lines like the airport bus, but then you start saying "why not other frequent bus lines", and you don't want an extremely complicated map.

Back