News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

have you never seen it go full circle jerk? lots of lightheared humour sprinkled in with the otherwise typically serious discussions on the forum..

I find that most things with a nationality in their name are not complimentary. e.g. French drain, Dutch oven, Egyption shower, Spanish solution...

There's a lot of yummy nationalties -- and also provincials and municipalities. Along with French Fries, Canadian Bacon, we've got Yorkshire Pudding or Parmesan Cheese. And single words, like Hamburgers and Frankfurthers. I'm getting hungry.

If the space is as limited as they say, I'd think the solution would be to lengthen the platform even further north (move some track if necessary) and simply have the northbound platform and southbound platform end-to-end instead of side-by-side.

This makes quite good sense. Even if the platforms are not end to end, there could be a 200m long centre platform. The Southbound train stops at the northern 150m of this platform and the Northbound train stops at the southern 150m of this platform. This essentially gives 33% more space on the platform for passengers.

This makes quite good sense. Even if the platforms are not end to end, there could be a 200m long centre platform. The Southbound train stops at the northern 150m of this platform and the Northbound train stops at the southern 150m of this platform. This essentially gives 33% more space on the platform for passengers.

This would create more space on the platforms, but the bottle-neck will still be at the transfer point to the LRT. Its Bloor-Yonge Part II for the transfer between trains, but made worse because both are centre platform. In theory there is room on the west side of the existing station once they demolish the abandoned bus bays - however, the parking garage overtop of the existing bus bays (and the bus terminal itself) pose a larger problem as too would the north end of the platform. The current design concept also results in the loss of a pocket track - but considering how close we are to Davisville its probably not much of a concern.

The current design concept also results in the loss of a pocket track - but considering how close we are to Davisville its probably not much of a concern.
A pocket track - hmm. That would be a 500 foot pocket track. Perhaps there is space for 2 back-back platforms.

Oh well, it wouldn't be impossible to change that after it opens, if it's really horrifically overcrowded.

Most people currently use the north end of the platform to exit to the street, Yonge Eglinton Centre or to the building above. Moving the Yonge platform north will mean people can get out north of Eglinton as well as south of Eglinton. This will do plenty to alleviate the congestion within the station.

Most people currently use the north end of the platform to exit to the street, Yonge Eglinton Centre or to the building above. Moving the Yonge platform north will mean people can get out north of Eglinton as well as south of Eglinton. This will do plenty to alleviate the congestion within the station.
Oh it will. But presumably the number of people will double or treble being an interchange station.

I'd be surprised if the traffic doubles or more. Certainly not in the short term (say 10 years). How many more people will take Eglinton once the LRT opens versus the number that take it now on the many buses coming here daily? Certainly there will be growth but how much. Another thing that will change. People will now be able to go straight from the Eglinton platform to the Yonge platform without having to walk from the bus bays. That will reduce crowding within the upper level of the station.

People looove saying "Spanish solution" and apparently it's the solution to everything. Spanish solution this, spanish solution that, every station should be converted to Spanish solution apparently. It's the solution!

Nobody expects the Spanish Solution!

spanish.jpg

Attachments

• spanish.jpg
    spanish.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 616
I'd be surprised if the traffic doubles or more. Certainly not in the short term (say 10 years). How many more people will take Eglinton once the LRT opens versus the number that take it now on the many buses coming here daily?
The EA identifies in Section 4.1.4.1 (Exhibit 161) that the current (2009) Peak Hour Ridership of the TTC buses arriving at Eglinton Station is 4,941 riders. Presumably some do stuff like change from Eglinton West to Eglinton East.

Then in in Exhibit 5-1 of Appendix N they show that the 2031 Peak Hour arrivals at Eglinton station on the LRT is 9,100 - though like the buses, some will stay on the train. So that's almost double. Combined with future development/growth in the neighbourhood, I wouldn't be surprised if there is double the 2009 ridership on the Yonge platforms of the existing Eglinton station. Looking at recent reports, ridership has already increased 10% since 2009, being 70,720 a day in 2009/2010 compared to 78,770 currently (2013).

So 140,000 if doubled? Trebling is I admit pushing it, the more I look at the numbers.

Back