News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I know there are glitches and road bumps along the way in the construction of all these projects as well as the building of the towers downtown, but when you consider the scope of all the construction in this city, it is MIND BOGGLING! You can criticize the location of a project, the routing of a LRT or the colour of a building, etc., (as many do ad nauseam on the various threads on this website) but when you consider the sheer number of projects and the eventual outcome, it is just INCREDIBLE! There few cities on this continent that can compare!

I know there are glitches and road bumps along the way in the construction of all these projects as well as the building of the towers downtown, but when you consider the scope of all the construction in this city, it is MIND BOGGLING! You can criticize the location of a project, the routing of a LRT or the colour of a building, etc., (as many do ad nauseam on the various threads on this website) but when you consider the sheer number of projects and the eventual outcome, it is just INCREDIBLE! There few cities on this continent that can compare!

uhhh....sure....if thats what you think. The real reason why there are so many projects now going on is that for the most part, TTC has been neglected for decades and we are just catching up (or struggling in vain...) to plans that were thought up in the 70s/80s. O yeah, not to be cynical, but the subway project in NYC although delayed and expensive for reasons similar to here is much larger in the grand scheme.

uhhh....sure....if thats what you think. The real reason why there are so many projects now going on is that for the most part, TTC has been neglected for decades and we are just catching up (or struggling in vain...) to plans that were thought up in the 70s/80s. O yeah, not to be cynical, but the subway project in NYC although delayed and expensive for reasons similar to here is much larger in the grand scheme.
The second avenue subway is much larger? Phase 1 is only 3.2km of subway and 3 stations. It's more expensive and complicated for sure, but I wouldn't use the word 'larger'.

The second avenue subway is much larger? Phase 1 is only 3.2km of subway and 3 stations. It's more expensive and complicated for sure, but I wouldn't use the word 'larger'.

ECT is LONGER not LARGER. Regardless in this case the term larger is more liberal. Aside from cost which already qualifies it as a larger project, Second ave in my opinion is quite larger because it is essentially like our DRL, heavy rail cutting through the downtown Manhattan core. Not to mention, the branching of the lines and the various interchanges surely makes it as you said much more complex. Don't forget the fact that for some points they were digging stacked tunnels as well, so essentially its double length for those sections. Hence in the end, yes the ECT may be distancewise physically longer, but considering that we are digging through medium and even low density at some points for a light rail transit that only involves interchanging existing underground lines twice with no interlining. The only thing in my view that could possibly be larger than Second Ave is the fence that is erected to block nimbys and lobbyists

ECT is LONGER not LARGER. Regardless in this case the term larger is more liberal. Aside from cost which already qualifies it as a larger project, Second ave in my opinion is quite larger because it is essentially like our DRL, heavy rail cutting through the downtown Manhattan core. Not to mention, the branching of the lines and the various interchanges surely makes it as you said much more complex. Don't forget the fact that for some points they were digging stacked tunnels as well, so essentially its double length for those sections. Hence in the end, yes the ECT may be distancewise physically longer, but considering that we are digging through medium and even low density at some points for a light rail transit that only involves interchanging existing underground lines twice with no interlining. The only thing in my view that could possibly be larger than Second Ave is the fence that is erected to block nimbys and lobbyists
It would be nice if Tory could have some sway and ensure that work on the construction going forward or at least construction of stations is done 24 hour a day so that it can be completed faster. Which would mean that the province would have to come up with the money sooner I suppose.

Toronto's rapid transit expansion is incredible my any measure.

As of now, the rapid projects that are underway are:
Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension
Finch West LRT
Sheppard East LRT
Eglinton Crosstown LRT
Scarborough Subway Extension
Yonge North Subway Extension (not sure if this is still on the table)
Relief Line
Milton RER
Richmond Hill RER
Barrier RER
Lakeshore East RER
Lakeshore West RER
Stouville RER
(Not including SmartTrack because it duplicates precious RT plans).

Also notable is the new high speed rail system. And these are just projects within the borders of Toronto. We're set to add at the very least a hundred kilometres (probably much higher than that) of rapid transit within the next 12 years or so. It's mind boggling.

Toronto's rapid transit expansion is incredible my any measure.

As of now, the rapid projects that are underway are:
Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension
Finch West LRT
Sheppard East LRT
Eglinton Crosstown LRT
Scarborough Subway Extension
Yonge North Subway Extension (not sure if this is still on the table)
Relief Line
Milton RER
Richmond Hill RER
Barrier RER
Lakeshore East RER
Lakeshore West RER
Stouville RER
(Not including SmartTrack because it duplicates precious RT plans).

Also notable is the new high speed rail system. And these are just projects within the borders of Toronto. We're set to add at the very least a hundred kilometres (probably much higher than that) of rapid transit within the next 12 years or so. It's mind boggling.

Most of the projects you listed are not really "underway" until shovels are in the ground. There continues to be huge push back against LRT on Finch and Sheppard, which were supposed to be shovel ready and yet we are still needlessly waiting for construction to start. The shit show that is the Scarborough subway is far from over. RER may be shelved if the Liberals lose the next election to the Regressive Conservatives. Yonge subway extension is unfunded, contingent on the DRL, and is many years away at best. Lets not be too optimistic.

Most of the projects you listed are not really "underway" until shovels are in the ground. There continues to be huge push back against LRT on Finch and Sheppard, which were supposed to be shovel ready and yet we are still needlessly waiting for construction to start. The shit show that is the Scarborough subway is far from over. RER may be shelved if the Liberals lose the next election to the Regressive Conservatives. Yonge subway extension is unfunded, contingent on the DRL, and is many years away at best. Lets not be too optimistic.

What he said.

Until boots are in the ground and construction is at an irreversible stage (Eglinton 1995 -_-...) most of the above is just another paper project that might as well be
written on foolscap. History has shown clearly that this has been the case for most TTC/GTA projects

I agree. Yonge North and Relief line are even less under way because there's no funding or timeline.

But clearly Spadina extension and Eglinton Crosstown are beyond the point of cancellation so we're definitely adding 8.6km + 10km of underground transit and 9 km of surface ROW transit. That's pretty significant considering we haven't added any underground transit since Sheppard in 2002, which was only 5.5 km.

And of course projects like Georgetown corridor work & Union station lay the foundation for being able to run rapid transit on the GO corridors.

Anyways, the original post was about how there's lots of construction going on in general in Toronto, which is obviously true.

But clearly Spadina extension and Eglinton Crosstown are beyond the point of cancellation so we're definitely adding 8.6km + 10km of underground transit and 9 km of surface ROW transit. That's pretty significant considering we haven't added any underground transit since Sheppard in 2002, which was only 5.5 km.

Great point. It may be a lot smaller than the big list mentioned earlier but we're definitely making a lot of progress compared to recent history. Here's hoping the trend continues

RER may be shelved if the Liberals lose the next election to the Regressive Conservatives.

That's why the Liberals need to hurry up and get these projects beyond the point of no return quickly. I'm fairly confident that the RER projects will reach that point before the next election.

The shit show that is the Scarborough subway is far from over.

I think there's a good chance that the subway will be replaced by RER and the SRT refurbishment. There are still many votes that have to be passed in Council for that project.

Last edited:
I agree. Yonge North and Relief line are even less under way because there's no funding or timeline.

Is there not a very rough timeline of the Relief Line? The Relief Line is far ahead of Yonge. Preliminary work has already begun for RL. Yonge is nothing more than a concept at this point.

But clearly Spadina extension and Eglinton Crosstown are beyond the point of cancellation

The cancelation of Spadina would be a nice April Fools gag ;)

Is there not a very rough timeline of the Relief Line? The Relief Line is far ahead of Yonge. Preliminary work has already begun for RL. Yonge is nothing more than a concept at this point.

Yonge North has an approved Environmental Assessment. It is far more advanced than the Relief Line.

In April 2009, the Ontario Ministry of the Environment unconditionally approved the Environmental Project Report (PDF) for the Yonge subway extension. In 2012, the Conceptual Design Study that looked at specific engineering elements was completed and approved by the Toronto Transit Commission and The Regional Municipality of York.

http://www.vivanext.com/yonge-subway-extension/

Yonge has had 10% design done on top of the EA as well I believe.

It was also approved by Toronto city council in January 2009, with the caveat that Toronto doesn't pay for it and that capacity improvements are made so that the riders can be handled.

Technically, it's the only approved subway extension on the books (the Line 2 extension was voted as being "supported" and still needs to be approved, although at this point it looks like a done deal.)

Back